Old 05-24-2010   #141
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4
Re: beaterX project thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Ask Anna when the baby mod is coming and you'll likely get slapped and kicked in the balls.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.
Old 06-01-2010   #142
scheides
flips McGee

Ugh, its been a rough week with the X. Nothing serious, but lots of little stuff is adding up to big levels of annoyance.

First thing's first. I *finally* got my openport 2.0 cable from the post office, it had been sitting there for a f*cking week. I did get stand-alone logging working in about ten minutes, pretty slick. Just insert microSD card, plug in flash cable w/o laptop, and it logs right to the card for later review! I love it.

That's where my luck ended though. I wired in my wideband from my evo8, and have been struggling trying to get logging working with it through the stock rear-o2 input. I've rewired the damn thing twice and literally tried like 10 different formulas in evoscan to no avail. This input is read as a 2-byte value (1024 values) vs the 1-byte value from the 8/9 (256 values) so the formulas need to be reworked. My latest one seems to be best, as it sees 14-15afr at idle/cruise and dips down to 12-13afr at light throttle. However, WOT it sees 13afr, which is not right at all. I even richened up the fuel tables just to be sure, no effect.

current formula: ((22.39-7.35)/1023)*x+7.35 = (0.0146*x)+7.35

Next pain in my ass, my little art project. No pics of this shit yet as it looks like garbage. I'm trying to fill in the holes around the stock rectangular openings that I've put my circular seat-heater controls into. Bondo + 600 grit sanding the entire thing seems to have worked best, but this paint I got just makes it look like shit. It's shiny and you can see all the details of the surface, including the clear differences between the bondo and the plastic. Needless to say, it looks like shit. Anyone have any ideas, or know anyone good at stuff like this? It's just a basic piece of plastic, kinda krinkle black.

Ok on to more reasonable things. Rosey's clutch fork stopper fits like a glove. X guys, add $50 for the X-tax, rosey has a ring to pay for!

Next, AMS shifter-gate bushing. Less slop = good. This goes inside the gear selector arms that bolt to the transmission.

AMS underhood shifter bushings. The stock ones were surprisingly firm, idk if this is a new thing for the evoX (vs a regular lancer), because the 8/9 evos seemed awefully squishy. Still worth doing.

Since I had the intake out, why put the stocker back in? Perrin intake pipe:

And, I deleted the stock airbox and test-fit an aFe intake. This was recommended to me by several people. It looks simple but well designed.

I'm missing a stock bracket though, the part that this thing mounts to. IDK if I'll bother finding it, or just zip-tie this thing in place. For now, I put the stock air-box back in, and I'll swap this in when I get the car up to shane for tuning (or if I get my damned wideband working!).

oh, two last things. I had a small exhaust leak where the downpipe meets the testpipe. Fixed that, the car sounds a bit quieter, and better at WOT.

Also, Anna bought me a simple tool kit for the trunk (for my birthday). I never carried one in my evo8, and well, fuk it. Worth having in case of emergency, and it fits in place of the stock foam shit.

The previous owner went ahead and spilled a coke (or something) in the trunk and never bothered to clean it up. There was corn-syrup goo all over the floor of the trunk and in the spare tire well, and I never noticed it, but through the camera view-finder you can clearly see a big brown stain in the trunk carpet. See it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #143
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Bummer about the wideband! With your heater control panel.... have you tried priming it before painting? Maybe try a wrinkle black paint. Yay about the stopper! Thanks!

The mini-tool kit sounds like a good idea. Car is coming along nicely!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #144
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

So X's use a pull type pressure plate like subarus? Weird...

Coming along nicely. That open port cable sounds really nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93GSX5SD
I'll second that. Its your car your choice. Enjoy your dsm experience.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #145
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I don't get the clutch fork stopper thing, why is that an issue? (I'm clueless on this)

My brother works for a carpet cleaning place and can do small stuff on the side if you want him to give that coke stain a try.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #146
scheides
flips McGee

It's for the pull-style clutches the evos have. When you let go of the clutch pedal, the fork can pop back and overextend. When it overextends, it compresses the spring that holds the TOB in place.

I'm gonna try running the carpet through my washer at home first, it's not a huge deal.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 06-01-2010   #147
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

My best bet for the plastic peice is to sand down the entire thing and make it perfectly smooth, then use crinkle paint on it. It will never match though, thats the bad part.. You could have that place that did your seats, wrap it in leather or suede?
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #148
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Get yourself some 3M Di-Noc wrap! Release the inner ricer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3m_cf_trim.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	10210  
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #149
turbotalon1g

^dew want.
Old 06-01-2010   #150
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

He had mentioned the black vynal idea to me earlier, it's a good idea.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010   #151
scheides
flips McGee

Other idea I had was to have my good, dear, amazing, manly friend rosey machine me a thin piece of aluminum that matches the top of the plastic plate, then have it powdercoated. I could sand down the existing piece to make up for the height of the aluminum, then affix the new piece to the top of the plastic. Might be the most durable solution for a spot that will get a lot of poking.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-03-2010   #152
scheides
flips McGee

Aaaaaaand the FPR vacuum line popped off somehow. Wideband works perfectly! Car was running 13:1 under WOT with no knock, but it felt like shit. I guess that's what I get for doing too many things at the same time.

On the plus side, I put the original fuel map on that shane gave me and the car runs low 11's perfectly, even after swapping in the aFe filter and perrin intake pipe. Fuel trims affecting WOT are disabled in my ROM, so this setup seems pretty safe to just drop in on an existing tune or even a stock car and (as long as your fpr is seeing boost) shouldn't run lean
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-03-2010   #153
turbotalon1g

sweet.
Old 06-03-2010   #154
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Other idea I had was to have my good, dear, amazing, manly friend rosey machine me a thin piece of aluminum that matches the top of the plastic plate, then have it powdercoated. I could sand down the existing piece to make up for the height of the aluminum, then affix the new piece to the top of the plastic. Might be the most durable solution for a spot that will get a lot of poking.

LOL! We'll figure something out!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #155
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Aaaaaaand the FPR vacuum line popped off somehow. Wideband works perfectly! Car was running 13:1 under WOT with no knock, but it felt like shit. I guess that's what I get for doing too many things at the same time.

On the plus side, I put the original fuel map on that shane gave me and the car runs low 11's perfectly, even after swapping in the aFe filter and perrin intake pipe. Fuel trims affecting WOT are disabled in my ROM, so this setup seems pretty safe to just drop in on an existing tune or even a stock car and (as long as your fpr is seeing boost) shouldn't run lean
I thought I told you to ziptie that at DB when you were first looking at the car, lol.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #156
scheides
flips McGee

I suck at listening, what can I say?

Beat the piss out of the car today, it's running good, decent power for what I have into it. I can't wait to get this thing on the dyno, and then, start saving for a bigger snail. I drove Jim's car the other night, man that made me miss my evo8 something fierce. Having 400+whp on tap is something I *really* miss.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 06-03-2010   #157
Murlo26

Quote:
I suck at listening, what can I say?

Beat the piss out of the car today, it's running good, decent power for what I have into it. I can't wait to get this thing on the dyno, and then, start saving for a bigger snail. I drove Jim's car the other night, man that made me miss my evo8 something fierce. Having 400+whp on tap is something I *really* miss.
I honestly don't remember what 400+ feels like anymore...i have gotten to the point where fast isn't even a memory.
Old 06-04-2010   #158
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I honestly don't remember what 400+ feels like anymore...i have gotten to the point where fast isn't even a memory.
Emo. :P
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #159
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
Old 06-04-2010   #160
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
LMAO! Don't be silly murlo, you'll be up and running again soon. It could be worse

Coming up on two months since the crash now, I'm guessing it'll be a few more before I get the X even remotely near what the 8 was.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV