MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 03-10-2005   #1
stikx
Mr -

Rotor/Brake Pad Wear Opinions

what is TLC? i know it has to do with the cars exterior which i know nothing about...and why do people need to machine their brakes?
stikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #2
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638
Re: Dumb question inside...only read if u arent gonna flame lol

tlc= tender lovin care! Anyway, where are you getting this from?

The reason people machine their brakes is so that they can get the rotors to last longer. When machining brakes, you are turning the rotors in a lathe. This lathe has a diamond tip (about 80 bucks to replace) that scrapes your rotors. It basically gives you a fresh surface to drive with. Also, a lathe can fix a warped rotor (when you get a pulsation in the brake pedul under braking). Those are the main reasons to machine the rotors. Now, there is a minimum thickness that a rotor can be. Every shop should have a book with the specs for each make and model to turn each rotor to. If you machine it past that point, then the rotor looses rigidity, and starts flaking apart. Pads are usually always replaced when you turn your rotors. You cannot turn these. Also, it's most likely more cost-effective to just replace the rotors and pads when you pressed-on rotors. That's because you will need to replace the bearing in the middle. The rotor is pressed onto the hub itself, and those bearings don't usually last when they are punched out to remove the rotor from the hub. So, clifnotes: machine rotors = longer life, safer braking. If not pressed on rotors, it's also mroe cost-effective. Anything else?

-A. Swift
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #3
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!

Most cars do not have pressed on rotors. Most slip over the hub. There are some very unique ones out there though that do. DSM's don't have pressed on hubs. Older cars with from disk brakes were one piece where you would have to take off the nut that held the bearings in and slide the rotor off of the spindle.

If your rotor is warped, 9 times out of 10 they can not be machined and stay within spec. It is more time efficient to just replace the rotors. But more cost effective to have them machined. It usually costs around $8-10 per rotor to have them turned. But the prices of most rotors are so cheap now that it's better to just replace them.

The minimum spec is also cast into every rotor. Although, with as much rust that gets into the non-friction areas, you usually can't read it anyways.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #4
Raptor
ConArtist

Holy Shit, Erik was right for once.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #5
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

I wasn't sure if the dsm's had pressed-on rotors or not. My honda as them, and I needed new rotors, bearings and pads when I did them. Erik was also right about the warped part. Sometimes you can fix a warped rotor, but at it's most offset point, It may be below specs, and not turnable. That's why most shops, IF it's bad enough, will go with new rotors.

-A. Swift
Old 03-10-2005   #6
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Holy Shit, Erik was right for once.

Yep. I've seen a car or two in my time....

Old 03-10-2005   #7
Raptor
ConArtist

It has nothing to do with that, I am pretty sure terina gave you the answer.
Old 03-10-2005   #8
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ

The Learning Channel. Check your local listings!
Old 03-10-2005   #9
Raptor
ConArtist

On another note, this brings up a point that needs to be made before it happens again. If you respond to a tech thread to be helpful, great. Make sure you are qualified to give an answer based on the type of vehicle in question. Case in point, the pressed bearings being brought up when they are not relevant to these cars can cause confusion to people who don't know. This isn't to slam you swifty, your input is appreciated, just make sure it is completely applicable.
Old 03-10-2005   #10
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

That's what I should have put in parenthesis, as I was unsure if they are pressed on or not.

-A. Swift
Old 03-11-2005   #11
stikx
Mr -

talking about supra TT brakes here, my other brother is in the market of one and they talked about machining brakes in one of the ads, which isnt talked about on here, which i now know why. thank you all.
Old 03-11-2005   #12
unreal808
Mr. Me Too

Drives: Suzuki GSXR

"TLC" were one of the biggest-selling female R&B groups of all time, riding a blend of pop, hip-hop, and urban soul to superstardom during the '90s. Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins, rapper Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas managed to appeal equally to pop and R&B audiences, blending catchy hooks ...
Old 03-11-2005   #13
stikx
Mr -

lol i know that TLC
Old 03-11-2005   #14
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

Usually the rotors need to be machined if there is runout on them. This is sometimes easy to detect when driving a car as the brakes will seem to shudder as the rotor is not as thick all the way around. If the rotors are off, measure them with a micrometer (assuming disk brakes) at several different points to see if runout is present (numbers are not equal). As stated above, turning (or machining) the rotors is the most economically sound option as it only costs $10/rotor at checker. There is no need to replace them unless they are under the minimum thickness spec. Checker can measure them and check them if you have no idea what you are doing at all. They would then sell you new rotors of turn them.
Old 03-11-2005   #15
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

The only reason why most people don't have them turned much anymore is because most people don't have another vehicle to use while the other car is down waiting for the rotors to be machined.

Rotors are getting to be so cheap now that it is easier to just buy new ones. It's mostly a matter of personal opinion as to what you do. It basically depends on what the circumstances are at the time as to which road I take.

Old 03-11-2005   #16
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

IF you have the time to sit around, you can go to tires plus, or any place like that. They have a lathe that will cut your rotors for ya. Also, you can turn, and measure thickness on drum rotors. My old job had a machine for that too( usually, they are both as one big machine-disks, and drums) the micrometer was a little different, and it measures the inside if the drum. Take the measurement at different points, and you can usually tell if they are good or not.

-A. Swift

Last edited by Swifty1638; 03-11-2005 at 06:59 PM..
Old 03-11-2005   #17
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos
Usually the rotors need to be machined if there is runout on them. This is sometimes easy to detect when driving a car as the brakes will seem to shudder as the rotor is not as thick all the way around. If the rotors are off, measure them with a micrometer (assuming disk brakes) at several different points to see if runout is present (numbers are not equal). As stated above, turning (or machining) the rotors is the most economically sound option as it only costs $10/rotor at checker. There is no need to replace them unless they are under the minimum thickness spec. Checker can measure them and check them if you have no idea what you are doing at all. They would then sell you new rotors of turn them.
Once again, this is wrong. Runout is not from the brakes being a different thickness. Runout is from a warped rotor. A rotor can be warped and still be the same thickness all the way around. Acutually they usually are. Runout is measured by putting a dial indicator on the brake caliper and putting the measuring end on the rotor, and then spinning the rotor. The difference between the high and low reading is the amount of runout. Then you need to do the same on the other side of the rotor. Add those 2 measurements together. Measure the thickness of the rotor, then subtract the 2 measurements from it. If that is still above the minimum thickness, then you can turn it down. If it is lower than the minimum thickness (more than likely) then you cannot turn it down.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #18
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

I call it all the same. That is the term they preached in school. You can check a rotor with a micrometer. You do not NEED to spin it. I had the dumb class at HTC when I was in HS two years ago. I learned the basics not that there is too much to brakes...

I do not know why anyone would replace them if they didn't have to but to each their own. It seems like pissing money away to me. A turned rotor is going to be just as good as new. It only takes about an hour if you drop them off at checker. If you have no idea how to check them, checker can do it along with turn them or replace them for you. I have only had to replace rotors in my old neon. Every other car I have done were fine with turning only.
Old 03-11-2005   #19
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Sure you can turn the rotor a couple times but everytime you do you take away material and it will warp faster. Getting aftermarket ones that are good quality is the best bet if your buying new. Otherwise turn them until you cant anymore becuase they get to thin and out of spec.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #20
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Alright, why do you always have to argue things when you are wrong?? Be a man and say "my bad". I don't care if "you call it all the same". This is about what is right, not what you think. This is a tech thread that can be searched. Wrong answers should not be posted!

There are 2 ways to check a rotor for runout. The only easy way is to spin the rotor with a dial indicator. When it costs $23 for a new rotor, it is easier to buy new ones. Also, a previously warped rotor is not as good as a new one. It will, more that likely, warp again soon on a DSM.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote