Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-10-2004   #21
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Quote:
Originally posted by 1ViciousGSX@Jun 10 2004, 08:46 AM
Well said, that's why my tranny is at TRE right now. I
And thats where it will sit for the next 6 months as you try to get him to answer your emails and phone calls. :goodluck:
Old 06-10-2004   #22
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by ecoli+Jun 10 2004, 08:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ecoli @ Jun 10 2004, 08:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-1ViciousGSX@Jun 10 2004, 08:46 AM
And thats where it will sit for the next 6 months as you try to get him to answer your emails and phone calls. :goodluck: [/b][/quote]
Actually it's going back together as we speak.

Doesn't really matter though. Magnus has been waiting for the connecting rods for my engine since April and doesn't have them yet.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #23
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
Viscious - what's your overall rating of your Magnus Experience?
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #24
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowWhite@Jun 10 2004, 08:58 AM
Viscious - what's your overall rating of your Magnus Experience?
I don't want to get off topic here, I'll PM you.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 06-10-2004   #25
illz

Quote:
Originally posted by 1ViciousGSX+Jun 10 2004, 08:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1ViciousGSX @ Jun 10 2004, 08:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ecoli@Jun 10 2004, 08:41 AM
You can somewhat just throw some parts on and make 500whp, but to actually get that 500whp to run a 10 without breaking crap is the hard part.
Well said, that's why my tranny is at TRE right now. I don't want to take any chances and am having it done now before it breaks and trashes the trans. :3gears: [/b][/quote]
alright maybe i'm dumb, but in TRE's 1G transmissions are the gears or hub/sleeve any different than stock, other than being shotpeened? Actually from their site, it doesn't look like the gears are even shotpeened. They use stronger shift rails, "improved oil passages" (eh isnt the whole thing full of oil?), nice trash magnet and filter, and evo shift forks. I'm not really seeing anything else but nicer synchros and taller 1st/5th gear, which aren't improving strength any.. Am I missing something here?
Old 06-10-2004   #26
illz

Quote:
Originally posted by 1ViciousGSX+Jun 10 2004, 08:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1ViciousGSX @ Jun 10 2004, 08:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by ecoli@Jun 10 2004, 08:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-1ViciousGSX
Quote:
@Jun 10 2004, 08:46 AM

And thats where it will sit for the next 6 months as you try to get him to answer your emails and phone calls. :goodluck:
Actually it's going back together as we speak.

Doesn't really matter though. Magnus has been waiting for the connecting rods for my engine since April and doesn't have them yet. [/b][/quote]
are you going titanium or something?
Old 06-10-2004   #27
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Even with stock parts, the way that it is assembled and small changes make a huge difference. Guys like John Sheperd have spent years and years playing around shimming, clearences, making small changes to parts, etc and have learned how to make a tranny last longer and shift better. Anybody can take apart and put back together a tranny, but to actually know what works and what doesn't takes some trial and error on actual high HP cars. There are some parts that can be swapped from one model year to another like the double syncro shit and EVO shift forks and getting rid of the terribly weak 3-4 gear in the 94+ trannies.
Old 06-10-2004   #28
illz

fair enough. lotsa plastigauge
Old 06-10-2004   #29
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Not to mention putting in a 4 gear center diff or spool if you are over 500 whp.

Lots of plastigage doesn't do anything if you don't know what to set the clearances to! They have quite a few tricks they do too.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004   #30
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by illz+Jun 10 2004, 11:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (illz @ Jun 10 2004, 11:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> are you going titanium or something? [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-illz
@Jun 10 2004, 10:56 AM
alright maybe i'm dumb, but in TRE's 1G transmissions are the gears or hub/sleeve any different than stock, other than being shotpeened? Actually from their site, it doesn't look like the gears are even shotpeened. They use stronger shift rails, "improved oil passages" (eh isnt the whole thing full of oil?), nice trash magnet and filter, and evo shift forks. I'm not really seeing anything else but nicer synchros and taller 1st/5th gear, which aren't improving strength any.. Am I missing something here?[/quote]
Let's try and keep this post on topic.

To answer your questions, I had TRE Cryo treat all the parts, I had the 4-spyder mod performed to the center diff with the Torington bearing mod, double synchro on 2nd gear, heavy duty 3/4 gearset hub and their "blueprinting" and assembly. This will cover about 95% of anybodies requirements with a high HP DSM. I did not go with the higher 1st gear set.

Look HERE for more info

Now back on topic :3gears:

(#Y#)
Old 06-10-2004   #31
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
I had Shep do the same stuff to my tranny that Vicious got, except the cryo part. I'm running a 3100 ACT pressure plate with a street disk. We'll see how it holds up.

If anybody's interested, I have a used 2600 and 3200 pp for sale. PM me offline for details.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #32
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world
Also I have heard the problem with the monster pp is cracking the crank shaft. So unless you want to tear down your motor and check the crankshaft for cracks every year, you might want to get a 2600 and a sprung pucked disk. My clutch only slipped a little, still hit 165 in 5th at 7k. I just smelled a little cluch on the way back down the frontage road, and it was only a little.

~John