MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-08-2004   #1
-GSX-Falcon

Tournaments Won: 6

OK, well my CV joint has gone out and i guess the best option is to replace. I have heard from a local i should be able to pick them up at one of the local auto parts places. I'm going to try and do this myself but I have not messed with the suspension area of my car before, so i need help. Can anyone who has done this before give me a brief overview? I looked on Vfaq and plymouthlaser.com and they dont cover this (from what i can see) So i beg of you, help me out.
Old 03-08-2004   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Are you going to get a complete axle or just the joint?

FWD or AWD and which axle is it?

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004   #3
-GSX-Falcon

Sorry, its for an AWD Front, passenger side. I thought about replacing the whole axle. But maybe just replacing the joint is easier?
Old 03-08-2004   #4
520Talon

Axels way easier and only cost a little more. You will need your old one for a core. First drain your fluid. If it is new you can put it in a clean bucket and reuse it, otherwise just put some new stuff in.

As for the axle. Pull the wheel, pull the safty pin on the 32mm crown nut and undo the nut as well. Next undo the lower ball joint and whack the lower control arm so the ball joint drops out.

Edit- Push the end of the axel through the hub. With the balljoint removed you can pull the whole hub out enough to make room.

Then you will be able to pull the axle. Pay attention to how far in it is. You will need to get a prybar or large screwdriver between the cup and the tranny. It should relativly easy.

Put the end of the new axle in the hole and line it up. Give the other end of the axle a couple whacks to dive it in. Make sure it is in as far as it was before. If not it could leak. You should also feel it seat in, give it a tug and make sure its snug. The rest is just the inverse of removal.

You will want a little anti seize or the spindle that goes through the hug to keep it from well siezing and being difficult next time. And put some grease behinde the washer and the other side of the hub. It likes it.

Personal best time is sub 20 mins. Just pulled both axles, tranny motor last night in about 2 hours.

The worst part might be getting the spindle through the hub as sometimes they can sieze on and be tough like old brake rotors that havn't had antisieze applied.
520Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004   #5
-GSX-Falcon

Thanks man that helps alot. This is my daily driver, is it safe to drive on or am I just going to ruin it more? I have to use the car to go get the part...so i can fix it.

Edit: This is assuming a place like NAPA would carry an axle. Anyone know if they do?
Old 03-09-2004   #6
520Talon

You can drive on it. All your going to do is ruin it more. If it gets to bad it might be able to seize. I get mine from B2B cause they hook me up on parts. NAPA should have it or be able to get it in a day.
520Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004   #7
-GSX-Falcon

Yeah, its already on the way so it should be cool. I took off the wheel and packed some gease into what was left of the boot, so that should help. I also took the center of my rims out so i can spray that crown bolt with liquid wrench periodicly. Good tip from TalonTsiDude.