Metallic Gold 0 0%
Paint By Numbers 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2015   #241
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g
Re: 95 Talon TSi AWD

I can't wait to see how it works out for you.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015   #242
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

I hope the car will be finished not too long after the engine. I've got about a week or two until graduation. All of our stuff has to be out of the shop the week before the 8th. Crunch time to say the least.

Let's hope/pray all goes well from here on out.
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015   #243
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

Yeah, after now having taken a stab at setting up venting through the balance shaft alignment hole, I do not recommend it. The hole is too small and the way I ended up getting a barb attached to that hole left only a very small passage - I used a re-threaded 10mm banjo bolt.

Oh well, I'll have a go and see what it does. I'm really just using it as a catch can drainback.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015   #244
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

I ended up painting the block semi-gloss black. It looked great and I thought it was going to look great with the brass freeze plugs. Then I realized I had all deep plugs. How I ended up with deep, I have no idea. So I went out and bought stainless ones from Auto Value and NAPA. Mismatched and all... I think in the near future I will be putting new OEM plugs in.

With us graduating on the 8th and our junk having to be out of the shop a week before I've got zero time left. So I am just trying to get done what I can, while I can. The plugs may have to be permanent for now...especially because I used red gel Loc-Tite. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1ngletracker View Post
Yeah, after now having taken a stab at setting up venting through the balance shaft alignment hole, I do not recommend it. The hole is too small and the way I ended up getting a barb attached to that hole left only a very small passage - I used a re-threaded 10mm banjo bolt.

Oh well, I'll have a go and see what it does. I'm really just using it as a catch can drainback.
That is what I thought would happen but didn't want to be a nay-sayer. It would be a good way to dump access oil back into the pan from the catch can..but then again, pressure would probably blow it back up/out.

Meh, excuse my rambling. lol
Old 04-22-2015   #245
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

No worries. I'll have a try and see what happens! Honestly even if it drains during a pit stop (this is an endurance road race car) when engine is off then that is great too.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #246
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

I spent most of today taking measurements of the block. I did start out the day trying to remove the extra gram two of my HD's have but decided against it. I didn't think it was worth the effort while possibly weakening the skirts.

When I measured the main bores they all measured within 2.4020-2.4018". I put the main bearings in after that and have yet to measure my oil clearance. I also took some time to shave down that 1/2" NPT fitting/breather. Please don't mind the one brass plug. Looks kinda' derp. Otherwise the paint looks alright.

Old 04-22-2015   #247
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Looks good.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #248
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Looks good.
If all goes well tomorrow I should have the full rotating assembly in the hoe. Let's hope!
Old 04-24-2015   #249
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

I didn't get anywhere near where I wanted to this week. I have yet to get the crank into the block simply because I forgot how nasty the oil was that Manley uses on their cranks. The stuff tool 4-5 cans of CRC brake cleaner, a pipe brush and about 200+ coffee filters to clean. Even then the counterweights and/or non-journal surfaces still leave a fine dark residue when I wipe them down.

I did do a make shift mock up on a rod and piston to bend the oil squirters..or oil squirter. Not a whole lot too it just time consuming and a tad difficult. I also won't mention I decided to grind and polish the oil passages on the block. Whoops.

So Monday I am thinking I will have a buddy help me scrub the all living isht out of the block again with water and Simple Green, then move to getting the B.S. bearings in. We may have to bend the other three squirters first though. After that I will gap the rings and install the pistons. Then boom; short block done.

I am going to try getting the port/polish done on my head this weekend. I literally took all of my porting and polishing junk with me back home.

I'll get some pictures uploaded in a bit. That is if I took any today. lol
Old 04-25-2015   #250
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

LOL The only picture I took yesterday. These aren't exactly fun to set with the good old HDs. The far left if about what they will all have to look like.

Old 04-25-2015   #251
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

While looking at John Whalen's page on Facebook to reference these oil squirters I also noticed I have not yet clearenced the bottom of the cylinders for my rods. So it looks like Monday will be a grinding and cleaning day for sure. lol Can't win with this thing lately!

What do you expect thought when I'm damn near the pioneer of 4g63s at good old Northwest Technical. lol Wish me luck people.
Old 05-07-2015   #252
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Well as of Tuesday I called it quits for now. The short block is close to being done however I was having an issue getting the rod bolt stretch to work in my favor...plus the gauge I was using was jank. So I am going to wait until I can get an ARP stretch gauge and talk to some people with more experience on torquing Oliver rods. Here's some picjars though!

Old 10-15-2015   #253
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Just bought a rod bolt stretch gauge. Guess its time to finish up those oil squirters, get a head together and make some jam.

Oh and prep the car, fix the shit people did to the body and all that fun stuff. Wooo.