MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-07-2013   #1
dogwhistle

Drives: Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Quiter/sexier exhaust?

I have a straight 3" pipe from turbo all the way to a exhaust can and a 4" tip. It sounds mellow and great when under load but it is a little weak in the treble and cruising/most any level except WOT is too loud for my (and neighbor's) taste. I was even debating a stock muffler with the same system but don't want to restrict any flow excessively. Any sound clips or recommendations? I'm really open to suggestions and even like the sound of J's racing exhaust on an S2K for reference despite the DB rating though. Also, something more subtle visually will probably keep the boys in blue from perking interest as much as well. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2013   #2
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Re: Quiter/sexier exhaust?

I'm in the process of once again quieting down my exhaust significantly. I've got a full 3" system with a 6" diameter Magnaflow muffler where the cat goes, and then a Thermal catback. It's a little loud for my taste as the Thermal was used when I put it on, so I purchased a Vibrant muffler, single in, twin out with the polished resonator tips. I'll be replacing the Thermal muffler in the next week or two. I've listened to some clips of this system online and it's kinda on the line of removing the cat from a stock system in terms of sound. Plus the dual tips look pretty stealth compared to the fart can 4" tip that's on there now. They actually fit perfectly in the Talon rear bumper exhaust cutout. Should be pretty nice when I get it all buttoned up.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013   #3
dogwhistle

Great info! Thanks. I really like the idea of the twin tip for stealth. I am anxious to hear what that sounds like as far as your resonator setup!
Old 11-08-2013   #4
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
I'm in the process of once again quieting down my exhaust significantly. I've got a full 3" system with a 6" diameter Magnaflow muffler where the cat goes, and then a Thermal catback. It's a little loud for my taste as the Thermal was used when I put it on, so I purchased a Vibrant muffler, single in, twin out with the polished resonator tips. I'll be replacing the Thermal muffler in the next week or two. I've listened to some clips of this system online and it's kinda on the line of removing the cat from a stock system in terms of sound. Plus the dual tips look pretty stealth compared to the fart can 4" tip that's on there now. They actually fit perfectly in the Talon rear bumper exhaust cutout. Should be pretty nice when I get it all buttoned up.
Should make a small project thread for that. I'm interested to see how it will sound/look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013   #5
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I'm not much on project threads or before and after pics and video clips, but I'll see if I can get my lazy ass to throw something together. Hell, look at how long it's been since I updated my website. Consider this the "before" picture.

http://home.comcast.net/~shill68/
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Last edited by Goat Blower; 11-08-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #6
dogwhistle

So I figured out my plan of attack. I will be in search of (and happily taking any donations of) stock mufflers as well as a twin loop muffler. Once I attain one or both I will post some sound clips of my friend's (Bad Omen Racing on here) straight pipe 2.5" setup as well as my 3" with a straight through 3-4" muffler, and the above mufflers in an effort to figure out sound quality or tone vs decibel levels.