MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 09-06-2011   #1
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol
Car wont start

I have a 91 eagle talon and it barely turns over. The battery is charged I checked it with my volt meter. Battery reads 13 volts. If I put the battery jump pack on it and it turns over just fine. I checked everything I can think of from grounds to loose connections on the battery. I just put a new tranny this weekend. I went from awd to fwd tranny and installed a light weight fwd flywheel. could it be my starter? Are the awd starter differnt from the fwd starter. Any help would be great.
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #2
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4
Re: Car wont start

For sure flywheel and motor plate are different.

Did you hook up your ground strap?

Last edited by 1QUICK4; 09-09-2011 at 04:57 PM..
1QUICK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #3
bertrenolds5

Drives: 91 eagle talon GST

I am pretty sure that the starter for a FWD is different from an AWD, you might need a shim plate if using an AWD starter. Are you sure your battery cables to the starter arent corroded? It's a pretty typical problem, your lines could be corroded and your just not getting enough juice.

On a side note why go from AWD tranny to FWD?
Old 09-10-2011   #4
93gtpeater

I think I figured out the problem. I brought the battery in to have it tested. Well it tested bad so I got a new battery. Just need to install it. I have a couple differnt reasons going to fwd. The car isnt going to stay awd. I just picked up a truck for doing some side work and I have a car dolly. I want to make it to the track this year. So going fwd I can now haul the car to the track. I have a back up awd tranny but I didnt want to put it in till I upgrade my clutch and have the center diff welded. Plus I do alot of highway pulls. And when I go back to awd I want to do a 4 bolt swap when I do the tranny.
Old 09-10-2011   #5
bertrenolds5

Drives: 91 eagle talon GST

Nice, you should make it a RWD and plug the front half shafts? Some people on this forum would rather crush a FWD for scrap then drive one. I personally enjoy driving my car aside from the feeling that I am floating on the pavement all the time. Highway pulls are very nice though, if only I could keep my tires on the ground in 1st and 2nd. MY tires do suck and next year it's probably time for some new ones. What's nice about your setup is that you have equal length half shafts alread since it's and AWD, is the differential and rear axels ect. still on it then?

And it's a good thing you had the battery tested because you could have wasted time and money on other stuff and still not have fixed it.
Old 09-10-2011   #6
93gtpeater

Yeah the rear end and axles are still in. I dont drive the car much. iam planning on making it to dyno day and out to uni one more night this year. Hopefully make it to the track this year if I can make it legal. I need to fix some safety things before going to the track.