MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Hosted Support Forums > Modern Automotive Performance

Old 06-28-2010   #1
maperformance

Drives: EVO
Send a message via AIM to maperformance
Proving Grounds 2010 Feedback Thread

Well this year went better then last, and we would like to see the trend continue. For those that attended our event please provide us with constructive criticism.

• What did we do well?
  • What did we do poorly?
  • What would you recommend for next year?
  • How can we make it better?
Let's all put our heads together, and discuss, and work our way to a 3rd Annual Proving Grounds 2011 that triples its size once again
maperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Proving Grounds 2010 Feedback Thread

I had so much fun. As a newb though, I ran into some problems, and I'm one to ask around and find out what to do ahead of time too. Nothing that stopped me from going though

-Post drag/autoX rules/classes ahead of time. As a novice, I just ended up picking classes, literally guessing. The people I was signing up with didn't have a firm grasp (nor the time to discuss) what class I should be in.

-AutoX specific: chalk around the cones for course consistency, a small PA for the driver's meeting (impossible to hear), better organization for starting grid.

-I was under the impression that it was going to be $25 to drag all weekend, $25 for the autoX, and $150 for the road course. I was a bit surprised to be charged $25 at the gate only to find out it was merely for admission. Also, I didn't get a raffle ticket at the gate (friday, 1130pm).

-Maybe hold the raffle mid-day or something? 6pm at the end of the event, I was planning on coming over for the prize drawing, but I was way too beat.

-more signage (or something?) to use 105.3FM to hear the announcer (more BIR related I suppose).
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010   #3
Dizmm

Drives: on ICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post

-AutoX specific: chalk around the cones for course consistency, a small PA for the driver's meeting (impossible to hear), better organization for starting grid.
I thought the start/grid area worked out ok. Sure there was a cross over, but we had someone there directing traffic. I wanted to maintain the most amount of open parking lot for the course, so grid got stuck in that little section.

Next year the auto-x should be much better, Our club also had an auto-x event going on in eastern Wisconsin, so we didn’t have our display and all of our other equipment. We were basically running on the essentials. Next year will be different.

I think there should be a better centralized registration location for all events. Something with a big banner.

For the 2nd event, overall everything went really well. This was my first year coming into this event with MAP. I came in a little blind not knowing what to expect. Next year will be different, and when i mean different i mean more awesomer!
Old 06-28-2010   #4
bryce_

Drives: Evolution IX

Thanks guys! I had tons of fun!

Only thing I would say is... more events and we need more people to come out!

Last edited by bryce_; 06-28-2010 at 10:53 PM..
bryce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #5
carltalon

Drives: 98 Eclipse GSX Auto
Send a message via AIM to carltalon Send a message via Yahoo to carltalon

Very good event over all. It would have been nice to be told where the tech area was when paying for racing. and It would have been nice if the track officials could make up there mind if I was running Pro tree or sportsman I swear it changed every time I went up. other wise probly one of the better days at the race track.
Old 06-29-2010   #6
devlish

Drives: '06 STi, '86 GLH-T

A little better communication with Track Officials / Personal at the front gate for telling people where to go. Just getting some knowledgable people at the front gate ASKING & TELLING people where to go for what events would be great! handing out a postcard doesn't do much for most people. People need to be TOLD when & where to go. a Central Registration very close to the front gate, with people "in the know" would be best in my opionion. and a lot more directional signage would help too i think.

overall though, i had a GREAT time this weekend. It was my first time at BIR and i was very impressed with the facility. And it was nice to meet Blake from MAP, and i think he had a good handle on things overall! Thanks again Blake for setting this up! I look forward to helping out with this event again next year for an even bigger better weekend!!
devlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #7
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

I think only the Quick 16 should run the pro tree and even that is questionable unless there are some big money prizes on the line.
Old 06-29-2010   #8
maperformance

we are definitely after a huge revamp of the quick 16 class. we need to find a way to make that better.
Old 06-29-2010   #9
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

It might take some big money prizes to attract more cars from out of state.
Old 06-29-2010   #10
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero

Great event again! Definitely will be back next year.

I agree with others that a little more direction at the front gates would have been helpful, I didn't know what the raffle tickets were for and was a little confused on camping pricing and where to pay for drag racing. There were a few people in the tech lane for drag racing that hadn't paid because they thought they already had when they arrived at the gates.

Again I had a BLAST and will try to get more people to go next year.
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #11
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi

I thought it was 20 bucks per person for friday and sat camping but when we pulled up it was 25?
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #12
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

Not sure how the road course deal went but maybe open that up to more cars? If so and it wasn't the same week as Country Fest I would have gone.
Old 06-30-2010   #13
devlish

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Not sure how the road course deal went but maybe open that up to more cars? If so and it wasn't the same week as Country Fest I would have gone.
indicated in the other thread as well, (but i'll say it again here for kicks...) road course was open to EVERYONE. we had hoped to see more people out there.

i'm wondering what turned people away from such a nice road track? Price? Lack of advertising? too much else going on?
Old 06-30-2010   #14
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

As I mentioned in the other thread sir this event was to be Sport Compact only per BIR's wishes...
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!
v8klla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #15
devlish

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8klla View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread sir this event was to be Sport Compact only per BIR's wishes...
Didn't realize they tried to limit that. As far as we were concerned running the road course events, anyone could've gone out there, the more the merrier! but something to look into for next year for sure... thanks for clearing that up though.
Old 06-30-2010   #16
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

How about this then, next year, specify dimensions as to what meets the 'compact' requirement for the event so as to avoid all of this fuss afterward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #17
maperformance

We have many things we will consider for next year. We would love to greatly increase turnout. Everyone I talked to who had a chance to drive on the road course absolutely loved it, and said it has probably ruined them for any other kind of racing.

Also, anyone who has high resolution pictures from this weekend, I am working on putting together a Press Pack to go out to DSPort, Import Tuner, Modified etc, and need a couple of good pictures. I could get you a mention as the photographer. Please PM or email me at blake@maperformance.com with what you have.
Old 07-04-2010   #18
GG_9_SE
E85=Win

Drives: Evo 9 SE

Had a blast guys way better then the 1st year thats for sure. keep it up i cant wait for next year! Thanks!