Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-10-2006   #1
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing
No Cranking Power

Hey guys and gals.

I just bought my first DSM on tuesday (90 Laser rs-turbo), had a bad head so I bought a good head and put it on. I went to start it tonight and it would crank...but realllllly slow. So I hooked up the jumper cables, let it charge for 15-20 mins, went back to start it and still no luck. I figured it was time for a new batter. so I bought one hooked it up and it still does it. It's a new battery, but it cranks like it's dying...ALSO, right when I hooked the new battery up I went to test it by turning on my lights, well, I had no power at all. The only way I get any power is by hooking up the jumper cables...and even then, when I let it charge up (which i shouldnt have to since its a new battery) it still cranks super slow...Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks much in advanced!

-Jason
LingLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #2
unreal808
Mr. Me Too

Drives: Suzuki GSXR
Re: No Cranking Power

Check your connections, (I mean remove and clean) like the ground on the fire wall grounding straps the positive wires like on your starter and alternator.
Old 03-10-2006   #3
LingLing
AznKraut

Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that before I head to work.

I know this is a n00b ?, but there are two clips that are hanging right by the oil filter, they seem to be connected to my alternator, but the small metal pieces that the clip goes on to are broken off inside of the connector. what are those clips? I know the description is horrible, but my digital camera is broken.
Old 03-10-2006   #4
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

Heads up on buying new battery. Just because it is new does not mean it is charged up. Some places don't rotate there battery so you might of purchased a dead battery. I always make them test a new battery for me before I leave.
x-pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #5
LingLing
AznKraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride
Heads up on buying new battery. Just because it is new does not mean it is charged up. Some places don't rotate there battery so you might of purchased a dead battery. I always make them test a new battery for me before I leave.
Really? that's dumb. I'll test it with the good old voltmeter (spelling?). Im also thinking I will clean the battery terminals real good to make sure there's solid contact between the harness and the terminal itself. Any other thoughts? I'm just tryin to brainstorm.
Old 03-10-2006   #6
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

If you know that you have a fully charged battery and the car still cranks over really slowly there is a good chance that the starter is just bad. I have had this happen a few times and replacing the starter cured it. Obviously do the simple things first like clean the connections and such but don't think just because it cranks that the start isn't bad.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #7
LingLing
AznKraut

Okay, I have my Chilton right in front of me, and nowhere does it say that there is a power cable going from the starter to the alternator. Is it me, or isn't there suppose to be one?

I tried starting it this morning, I have power now, and it cranks just as slow as it did with the jumper cables on. SO, with that said, I'm thinking the starter went bad.

Also, how can I run a spark test? For some reason I don't think I have spark either.

Last edited by LingLing; 03-10-2006 at 09:58 AM..
Old 03-10-2006   #8
tim

The best way to check for spark is to use a spark tester. It plugs into the spark plug wire and you ground it to the engine. You set it to a predetermined gap like 1/2" or so to mimic the pressure inside the combustion chamber. Most parts stores have them or you can buy them on line for pretty cheap. Make sure to disable the fuel system when doing this.

As far as the slow cranking. You definitely may have a bad starter. Pull it out and have a parts store test it, they will probably do it for free. Before testing it make sure all the ground straps are good and solid and like you said make sure that the connections to the battery are solid.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006   #9
LingLing
AznKraut

One of the guys at work has a 90 tsi, looked and figured out, that I most likely didn't connect the power transistor and may have the wrong plug connected for the coilpacks. so gonna try that and see what's up.
Old 03-11-2006   #10
LingLing
AznKraut

yep, it was the power transistor. i didn't see it because it was caught under the intake manifold. thanks for the suggestions though!

-Jason