MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-18-2008   #1
HKSenilyks

Send a message via AIM to HKSenilyks
Newb question.

This doesn't have anything to do with dsm's, or turbos for that matter. But does anyone know why supercharged cars don't need Blow off valves?
I recently bought a supercharged Buick Park ave. and always wondered. Is it because as the t.b. butterfly closes as the supercharger slow down err....?
Old 01-18-2008   #2
User Name
Hates blue couplers.

BMX Ramp Champion! BMX Stunts Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: White 1Gb TSi
Send a message via AIM to User Name Send a message via MSN to User Name Send a message via Yahoo to User Name
Re: Newb question.

A bov is made protect the compressor section of the turbo from damage due to pressure surges, not applicable on SC's.

The supercharger recycles the boosted air back into the intake, so as to minimize parasitic loss.
FP Turbo kit
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #3
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Superchargers are a little more robust, but the real reason is your car is an automatic. The engine doesn't immediately drop into vacuum from a boosted stated when you let off the gas on an auto. Buick GN's didn't have a BOV from the factory and they were turbocharged, and all were autos.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #4
HKSenilyks

Send a message via AIM to HKSenilyks

Yea I had a turbo sunbird that didn't come stock with a B.O.V. it was also an auto.
Old 02-11-2008   #5
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

you can technically use one, but they wont do much unless ur running alot of boost. there kind of pointless as the main point of having a BOV is to save your turbo from compressor surge.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #6
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

Depends on the application. Your car has roots blower and its located after the throttlebody.

A lot of the med-hi boost centrifugal kits these days (vortec) do inlcude bovs.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
A lot of the med-hi boost centrifugal kits these days (vortec) do inlcude bovs.
Yup, a lot of the supercharged S2000 guys are using BOV's.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #8
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

actually i dont think even our dsms dont need a bov. I was actually thinking off blocking mine off when i go to the track, that way it holds a little more boost between shifts. (not sure if this will work or not on our cars) My buddy with the S15 Silvia (yes a real one) doesnt run a BOV when he goes to the track and hes on higher boost (17-20).
sure it wears the turbos compressor a little, but for how many times we change turbos, we arent going for longevity anyways.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #9
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

I was going to say something, but this thread is retarded.
Old 02-11-2008   #10
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

^
That made me chuckle
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #11
RichardBBY

Quote:
actually i dont think even our dsms dont need a bov. I was actually thinking off blocking mine off when i go to the track, that way it holds a little more boost between shifts. (not sure if this will work or not on our cars)
I think this would be a bad idea. When you shut the throttle during shifts that air that is now pressureized and flowing through all of your pipes will have no where to go other then back towards the turbo. That rush of air back towards the turbo will cause the turbo to violently slow down, which is exactly the oppisite of what you said your trying to acomplish.

just my 2 cents.
RichardBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #12
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
I was going to say something, but this thread is retarded.
Love it!!

It really has to do with location of the TB in relation to the supercharger or turbo. Close the TB on a supercharger and you immediately have vacuum on both side of it. And the supercharger speed is based directly on crank speed. Turbo chargers stay spooled longer and need a place to release the excess pressure between shifts to maintain high turbo shaft speeds. This helps reduce turbo lag between shifts and removes excess stress on the turbo.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #13
crazy_skier
A.E.K.Δ.B

Beer Dude 2 Champion!
Drives: 1994 Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBBY View Post
I think this would be a bad idea. When you shut the throttle during shifts that air that is now pressureized and flowing through all of your pipes will have no where to go other then back towards the turbo. That rush of air back towards the turbo will cause the turbo to violently slow down, which is exactly the oppisite of what you said your trying to acomplish.

just my 2 cents.
This is true, but at the track people are also shifting much quicker, or if using dsmlink there is nlts and then the throttle will not be closed at all. I have haerd of removing the bov for the track also though on high boost applications, since it does keep the pressure in the pipes and makes cars a little more responsive when shifting quickly. I would reccomend feathering off the throttle after crossing the mark for whatever distance your running so you dont cause huge compressor surge
crazy_skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #14
RichardBBY

Your right, i could see how No Lift To Shift would make this a worth while modification for track use. He didn't mention using nlts. If anyone has ever driven a SRT4 with out any blow off valve, like they come from the factory, they have felt how badly that car falls on its face during the 1 - 2 shift. I would imagin the same problem would be felt if you were to unhook your bov. Unless of corse when you say high boost, you mean 25 to 30 pounds, in that case I would not know sence I personaly have never driven a car with that much boost.

theres a few more cents for ya!
RichardBBY is offline   Reply With Quote