MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-06-2011   #1
Perkul8r

Drives: 91 GVR4
Trans issues in Galant.

Ok, so when I picked up my Galant I was told it may have 1st gear issues and it also needed a clutch. So far i have not switched the clutch, didn't have time to this weekend. But i did tighten up some of the brackets on the trans that where holding the cables. I also tried to readjust the cables at the shifter itself.

well, it still pops out of first gear. And from what i have read that means bad trans. So i was gonna get another 5 speed tans locally, but had one question.

When switching to a T/L/E trans, do i need to switch out any Diff gears? Or are they all the same in these cars?

I found a trans here in town for $250 that has no grinds and is in good working order. BUt wanted to make sure first.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2011   #2
GsXtUrBo98

Drives: 98 GSX, 04 is300
Send a message via AIM to GsXtUrBo98
Re: Trans issues in Galant.

Do it right the first time and send it to shep for a rebuild

GSX 463awhp 363awtq on DB!
GsXtUrBo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #3
Perkul8r

I would love to but don't have that kinda money just laying around. I am trying to get it going again cause I gotta have the GF's Subaru serviced also. So I dont have much money to spend on a different trans if that is what i need.

Last edited by Perkul8r; 03-06-2011 at 11:44 PM..
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #4
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

The Galant VR4 uses the same tranny as the DSM. You will need to make sure they are from the same year though, as transfer case output shaft will be a 22 or 23 spline and the shifter levers on the tranny can be different.

All these can be swapped off you bad tranny if needbe.

~John
Old 03-07-2011   #5
Perkul8r

Also in the searching I have done, people are saying that the Galant has a taller first gear, but that the T/L/E first gear is stronger. Is that true?

And i know i can swap over the trans levers and shift cable bracket also. I read that awhile ago. I am just waiting on the guys reply on what year the trans is. He did say he thought it was a 22 spline count for the transfer output shaft. And i am unsure of what mine is yet, I am still in the process of pulling the trans.
Old 03-07-2011   #6
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

The Galant trans does have a taller first gear, though I'm not sure if there's any difference in strength.
Old 03-07-2011   #7
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Is your 5th gear popping out? If so, there is a nut on the end of one of the shafts that holds the gears on (I know nothing about tranny internals, if this makes no sense please say something) and this nut comes loose. I have heard of people having problems with other gears popping out also though.

If you take the end cap off your tranny (the one behind the passenger's side wheel) that end cap is right where you need to look. There are a few threads on this on DSMTuners, and a write up on vfaq. If you can catch it before it trashed the transmission, you can save yourself a good amount of money and labor. I wasn't so lucky with my first transmission.

This happened to my 1st tranny in my 1g, except the nut in mine just sheared right off. Every time I show the nut to people and tell them what it is, they just look baffled and say they have never seen such a thing happen, so that was apparently a pretty rare occurrence.

DSMTuners thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newb...d-already.html

VFAQ: http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html (click 'shifter' > 'Shifter movement fix')

Side note: When I talked to TRE about the 11% taller Galant 1st gear, he did say it was physically thinner in diameter, I don't remember if he said anything about it being weaker though. 11% equates to about 4mph in 1st gear at stock redline of 7k by my math though if you were wondering how big of a difference it makes speed wise. (34.4mph vs 38.184mph in 1st gear with 7k redline) I used this thread for my calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #8
Perkul8r

5th never popped out. I drove it home from my hometown which was about 250 miles and it never had an issue in 5th. It did feel like it would hesitate going into 3rd when shifting, and i think it was like that in 5th also. But i can remember for sure.

I checked all the nuts and bolts i could on the outside of the trans. so far everything was tight, and if it wasn't i tightened it back up and tested. Granted I did not get to drive it a long distance. Just tried moving it back and forth in the garage. I would have taken it out and down the road, but with an already slipping clutch it was a pain in the ass getting up the incline at my father in laws place into the garage.
Old 03-07-2011   #9
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

It would definitely be worth checking into before tearing the transmission out though. I have not done it myself with a trans in the car, but it looks like an easy enough weekend job. Just need to jack some jackstands, simple tools and RTV. Tom might be able to show you how to RTV things

Quote:
Old 03-07-2011   #10
trunks11

Drives: like an old lady 458/1000

Here's thread from vr4.org. If you decide to buy that tranny just make sure it's not an early 90's / 89 version:

http://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/...page=1&fpart=1
trunks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011   #11
Perkul8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
It would definitely be worth checking into before tearing the transmission out though. I have not done it myself with a trans in the car, but it looks like an easy enough weekend job. Just need to jack some jackstands, simple tools and RTV. Tom might be able to show you how to RTV things
I gotta pull the trans out anyway to replace the clutch. So its not a big deal if it has to come out. I was just hoping to not have to replace it. But I will probably check that first before taking the trans out all the way next weekend. I would do it today but i left my jack and jackstands at home.
Old 03-07-2011   #12
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
Also in the searching I have done, people are saying that the Galant has a taller first gear, but that the T/L/E first gear is stronger. Is that true?
Yes
Old 03-08-2011   #13
Perkul8r

Could the clutch being pretty far gone casue engagement issues with the trans also? I mean it goes into 2nd, 4th, and reverse fine. BUt always seems to hesitate going into 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

I am going to replace the clutch this weekend. And check what goodhart pointed out. And than maybe try to do some more tweaking. Nut would really hate to put this thing back together just to have to take it apart again.
Old 03-09-2011   #14
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
I mean it goes into 2nd, 4th, and reverse fine. BUt always seems to hesitate going into 1st, 3rd, and 5th.
That to me sounds like cable adjustment/worn out bushings to me.
Old 03-09-2011   #15
Perkul8r

Well, I bought the new bushings for the cables from MAP. Just haven't put them in yet. Gonna do that when i have th trans out. I guess i will try it and see what happens. And if I have to, I will pull it back out. Maybe I can limp it by to save money for a full rebuild.
Old 03-09-2011   #16
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

1st, 3rd, reverse is pulling on the cable to go into gear. It could be a stretched cable, or a worn bushing as Kevin said.

~John
Old 03-09-2011   #17
Perkul8r

The only bushings that i thought might be bad, were ones were the actual shift linkage on the trans were. I checked it real quick before starting to get ti apart to pull the trans.

Can those ones be replaced? If so where can i order them from. The closest Mitsu dealer for me is 3 hours away.
Old 03-09-2011   #18
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

When the hub/syncro assembly wears out, it pops out of gear. Get a rebuild. Shep does a basic for less than a grand. I think there is someone on this forum who does it, maybe they could help you out for less.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011   #19
Perkul8r

ya. i am trying to see if i can get the money together for a rebuild. We just payed off all our debt and I really dont want another bill but it looks like i am gonna have to.
Old 03-09-2011   #20
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Sounds like a good time to get some solid bushings. You can get the skateboard type bearing ones for pretty cheap through MAP. If it was me, I would replace/adjust the linkage/bushings first if you think that may be the source of your problems.

Quote: