MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 04-24-2009   #1
ryanGOC

Drives: Evo X MR
Intro and Evo X MR Goliath Project

Hello Everyone!
I'm new to the site, new to the evo community, and new to the twin cities. I moved to saint paul from atlanta for my career about a year and a half ago and I still don't know how you guys can stand the cold.
My last car was a bi-turbo S4 and then mitsu released the Evo X with a dual clutch gear box and I was sold!
I preordered a Wicked White Evo X MR through socal mitsu almost a year before the car even came out.

Anywho onto the good stuff. I've been tracking my cars for about 5 years now and there is no end in site. I've been to BIR and MAM about a dozen times and I really can't wait to put my new project goliath X MR on the track this season. I had the guys over at MAPerformance install a few new toys onto my car and then we began talking about developing new parts for it. The problem is, the SST is only good for about 350hp and nobody has developed new clutches for it. A company called SSPerformance had designed new clutches for the GTR's dual clutch and now the GTRs can hold 800hp!!! SSP wanted to design new clutches for the SST but nobody in area was willing to donate their car to the cause.... until me....

While SSP took my car, they sent off parts to MAPerformance so they could work on developing their parts at the same time. SSP and MAP have a good-standing relationship with each other and decided to make this a partner project.

Last edited by ryanGOC; 04-24-2009 at 01:44 PM..
ryanGOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #2
ryanGOC

Re: Intro and Evo X MR Goilath Project

Continued.....

The prototype clutches came out, were tested, and were installed.

After discussing what we had on our hands with Chris at MAPerformance, we realized that MAP could build the worlds most powerful SST Evo X! We pulled the trigger and Chris made the announcement,

"MAPerformance is VERY excited to be a part of this project. We have big plans for Ryan's car in the near future and with his goal of 600-650whp we will certainly be putting these new SST upgrades to the test!

With that said I believe we will be the first authorized installer of these components, so anyone looking for installation of the transmission cooler or clutch components (or anything else for that matter, we do it all!) please don't hesitate to contact me!

Chris Carey
chris@maperformance.com"

MAP is doing all the engine work, it's going to be incredible and I'll keep all you guys posted as the build happens.

The next problem SSP needed to address would be the immense amount of heat generated by such a high hp application on these clutches, so they developed this monstrous tran cooler:

The guys at SSPerformance made a press release for the project,

"SOUTH SIDE PERFORMANCE INTRODUCES WORLD'S FIRST SST UPGRADED CLUTCH PACKS FOR THE EVO X MR AND RALLIART

Sioux Falls, South Dakota (April 17, 2009) – South Side Performance has become a name in the R35 GTR market as the company that makes and supports some of the highest horsepower GTR‘s. With a handful of fist's for the extremely of what some say is one of the world's most advanced sports car under its belt, it has spent more than a fair amount of r and d time with the GR6 twin clutch transmission and this time has allowed the company to find some new ways to beef up some of the weak points that seem to be issues that are not unique to the GTR's dual clutch box, but are shared by nearly every dual clutch transmission on the market today. After many phone calls and hundreds of e-mails, SSP decided to go ahead and start work on their own TC-SST upgrade solution, using what they had learned the GTR.

So after a flood of emails and days of filled voice mail boxes, we would like to officially announce Project Goliath TC-SST. During this project we are co-operating with a few individual SST owners as well as one major staple in the Evo X tuner community to produce a solution that will end the bickering between GSR owners and MR owners over whose car is better. The goal is to use hundreds of hours of development and R and D for the GTR's GR6 to create a wide array of components for the SST transmission in order to increase its ability to support high horsepower applications. SSP has experience with high horsepower AWD cars and knows that clutch packs are going to be a point of weakness once certain power levels are exceeded. So, we are responding to the known limitations of high torque applications for MR owners and have designed a solution to increase the torque holding capacity of the SST as far as we can beginning with a clutch pack set that should well exceed 400 ft lbs of TQ capacity, with an even more capable set of discs to follow soon after.

Specifications:
At SSP we believe that one size rarely fits all and it is because of this that we are offering two different models of clutch packs. The first of these packs is out RT clutch set pack, which is designed to increase the TQ holding capacity of the transmission by a significant margin. This increase in capacity is a result of the new discs' 25% greater gripping force than the stock clutch packs due to an increased surface area. The disc itself is a complex compound of cotton, carbon fiber, synthetic organic fibers, and other materials. These new materials add to the strength of the discs while still retaining the properties that allow it to hold up in the submerged oil environment of the SST's valve body. This technology is tried and tested as it is a compound we spend months of R and D working on for the GR6 Dual Clutch box for the R35 GTR.

The RT discs are meant for customers who want more power than their existing discs will handle, and will handle high horsepower application with a TQ rating of 438 Ft/Lbs of TQ @200 Degrees F. This is a significant factor because the torque capacity of the SST clutch packs are a combination of strength and durability of materials used for the discs themselves and temperature of the transmission oil that the Discs are submerged in.

Not being the type of company to solve only half of the equation and leave the rest to chance, we will also be offering a SST transmission cooler that is essentially a three part solution to keeping temperatures in check. This solution begins with a specially designed deep dish oil pan that allows for 4 Liters of increased trans oil capacity, and continues with the addition of a high volume oil pump that pushes the oil thru a closed loop system which contains a dual fanned bar and plate style cooler placed at the rear of the car in order to get it as far away from the heat source as possible. This is the same basic design methodology that was used on our R35 cooler, but has been customized to improve the weaknesses in the SST cooling abilities from the factory. The cooler will be available as a standalone option for $2,200.00 or as a package with the clutch discs for $3,150.00. This is the first solution for owners who are worried about breaking their clutches and want a comprehensive solution other than buying an entirely new transmission.

This upgrade is extremely delicate in nature, and as such it needs to be performed by the right shop with the right equipment and experience to get the job done correctly. Because of this, it cannot be done at just any transmission shop. As a result, you must bring your SST equipped car to a shop with experience working with the SST, or ship the car or transmission directly to SSP or any of their soon to be released partner shops with facilities to do the upgrade. This modification is only one part of a package solution to allow any SST owner to strengthen their transmission as a whole and allow SST owners to hold the power that their GSR counterparts can and more.

Price and Availability:

This upgrade is available for pre-order for $1,199.00 for the RT Clutch Packs with the first shipments in roughly 30-45 days. Payment of half of the retail price secures you one of the first clutch packs that goes into production so sign up for your pre-order today by submitting your request to: These are going to be sold through MAPerformance; a vendor on this forum. chris@maperformance.com"

And this is now where I stand... without my X until june. But never the less, this is a great project that all SST owners and all X owners will benefit greatly from. Allllotttt of new parts will come from this....

Well, there ya go! My name is Ryan! Hello everyone.
Old 04-24-2009   #3
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Welcome! I've been following your build on evolutionm.net glad to see you over here! You 'll have to come check out our weekly meets.

Glad to see those parts get developed for the SST!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #4
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

Shrink the photos its hard to keep scanning to read your build progress.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #5
ryanGOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95talonracer View Post
Shrink the photos its hard to keep scanning to read your build progress.
Resized!!!
Old 04-24-2009   #6
ryanGOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose0529 View Post
Welcome! I've been following your build on evolutionm.net glad to see you over here! You 'll have to come check out our weekly meets.

Glad to see those parts get developed for the SST!
I definitely will be doing that! I look forward to seeing all you guys. Too bad I'll be driving one of my trucks until the X is done.
Old 04-24-2009   #7
scheides
flips McGee

Welcome! Feel free to start a project thread once you start tearing the motor apart
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #8
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Cool, welcome to the site.

But I have to say, right in the first paragraph of that wee article you posted, this sentence:
Quote:
With a handful of fist's for the extremely of what some say is one of the world's most advanced sports car under its belt, it has spent more than a fair amount of r and d time with the GR6 twin clutch transmission and this time has allowed the company to find some new ways to beef up some of the weak points that seem to be issues that are not unique to the GTR's dual clutch box, but are shared by nearly every dual clutch transmission on the market today.
Doesn't make any sense, and it's a run on sentence. Something we were taught in elemetary school not to do.

It could use some clarification; that's all I'm saying.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #9
Constant_Project21

Drives: E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty View Post
Doesn't make any sense, and it's a run on sentence. Something we were taught in elemetary school not to do.

It could use some clarification; that's all I'm saying.
Lol, yep bad punctuation ftl...haha just giving ya a hard time. Sweet ride though, looking forward to seeing more out of it.
Constant_Project21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #10
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

I think Ryan copied that from the SSP press release, so give him a break guys Welcome to the Mitsustyle forums sir and thanks for the shout out!

Chris Carey
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!
v8klla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #11
Constant_Project21

Drives: E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8klla View Post
I think Ryan copied that from the SSP press release, so give him a break guys Welcome to the Mitsustyle forums sir and thanks for the shout out!

Chris Carey
Then SSP press releases punctuation ftl...haha
Constant_Project21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #12
GsXtUrBo98

Drives: 98 GSX, 04 is300
Send a message via AIM to GsXtUrBo98

Welcome, And nice car/project!

GSX 463awhp 363awtq on DB!
GsXtUrBo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009   #13
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

I should have added a because I'm not normally a spelling nazi.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote