MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-26-2007   #1
perryg114

EVO III in stock 91 GS turbo

Ok guys I will eat some crow here. I got to looking at the parts to fix my old turbo with a new turbine housing it was going to cost almost as much as a new turbo. So my next question is what will the bigger turbo do to the low end of things? Is this thing going to be even more sluggish getting away from a stop light while driving in the summer with the AC on? I know the compressor is supposed to be a little lighter than the older TD05's. Will I notice a down side to putting one of these in the car? I kinda like the torque peak being at 3000 RPM. Maybe moving the peak torque up a little would reduce wheel spin. It seems like in the hot weather its nothing nothing nothing then feather the clutch a little and when it hits 3000 RPM is wants to light the tires. It seems stock the car is all or nothing and it has been that way since it was new.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #2
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Re: EVO III in stock 91 GS turbo

The only things you'll need to run anything over stock boost with that turbo is bigger injectors, which in turn requires some sort of fuel tuning device, and a larger fuel pump. You can just drop it in if you're only going to run stock boost, which will still be quite a jump in power from your old setup. If you feel a 16G would be laggy, you should just buy a Moostang instead. Lag=power.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #3
perryg114

I plan on running stock boost for now till I have time to make some upgrades. Where will the gains be with the EVO III?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #4
scheides
flips McGee

Yes, you should see a little more power at stock boost levels. That turbo flows more air per psi than the smaller stock 14b. It will really shine compared to a 14b when you crank up the boost to 20 psi or so. Not sure what your other mods are, but you could get away with the old 2G MAS/550cc injector hack to run that setup. Probably best to pick up a SAFC none-the-less if you do that.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote