MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 01-10-2004   #1
jd1828

Send a message via AIM to jd1828
my birthday is comming up and my mom said she would buy me two tires for my car and i can buy the other two. i have two sets of rims so i want summer tires. i dont want any all season crap. i was looking at the kumho ecsta supra 712. they are cheap and have some good reviews. anyone know of some better ones?
jd1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
The two that I've been most interested in getting:
Falken Azeni Sport
Yokahama AVS ES100

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #3
fmicmatt

Tournaments Won: 6

Are Toyo RA-1s ok for street use in MN? Thats what i'll be running in the spring. They should have pretty good traction. Definately NOT a all-season tire. I don't know about tread-wear though.

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position tires are pretty good too. They pulled a 1.70 60ft in a 2G AWD.
Old 01-10-2004   #4
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Nitto NT555 work very well for me and they don't required a 2nd mortage to buy them. :3gears:

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #5
carltalon

Drives: 98 Eclipse GSX Auto
Send a message via AIM to carltalon Send a message via Yahoo to carltalon
I agree with the nitto NT555 I have them they work great on my FWD :3gears:
Old 01-10-2004   #6
Jana
Mazda Bitch

I would steer clear of the Toyo tires, I have heard they will last you about one season's worth of use (tread life sucks in other words). I recommend the Yokohama's. They are a good tire. I have Nankang for summer use, they came with the rims from Wheelmax.com, and I love them! The tread wear is unbelievable.

There's my .02
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #7
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
The azenis have great traction and handle well, but are noisy and suck ass in the rain. I got the Kumho MX's. They are great! I was pulling pretty consistent 1.7's on them last year at RF. They are pretty decent in the rain and handle great. Not real expensive from the tire rack either. I will definately get another set.

The other really good option is the Nitto 555R drag radials. Don't get the Kumho 712's, they are crap!!

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #8
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo
Bah, honestly I believe it's not the tires that make the good 60' . My best 60' was done on shitty Pirelli P3000s (1.72) and trust me, these tires suck and were dirt cheap all seasons. Just get something with a nice soft sticky sidewall. Til you're making 500 whp , I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #9
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
I used to have the Kuhmo 712's on my talon. They are AWESOME on dry pavement but SUCK in wet. They are a softer compound that, once heated up, stick like glue. I would not suggest getting them though for a summer tire, only for a track tire.

We will be putting Terina's tires to the test this summer. She got the Continental Conti-Extreme Contacts. They were $88 a piece and seem to be real good for traction and very low noise. Nice, aggressive tread pattern as well.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #10
jd1828

Send a message via AIM to jd1828
Quote:
Originally posted by JET@Jan 10 2004, 12:24 PM
The azenis have great traction and handle well, but are noisy and suck ass in the rain. I got the Kumho MX's. They are great! I was pulling pretty consistent 1.7's on them last year at RF. They are pretty decent in the rain and handle great. Not real expensive from the tire rack either. I will definately get another set.

The other really good option is the Nitto 555R drag radials. Don't get the Kumho 712's, they are crap!!
i like the MX but how is the tread wear on them? how do the sizes work, do i have to get a 205/55/16 or can i get a different size?
jd1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #11
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
I should get about 16k miles out of the MX's. I have 17's, so I am not sure about your size. On stock wheels I would not go wider than a 205/55 though. 225/50 is the same size, but too wide for stock wheels. They will fit, but bulge out the sides and not handle as well.

Erik, if you think 712's stick like glue, you have never had a real performance tire. My 712's would peel off instead of being wore evenly. For the little extra money I would upgrade to the Yoko ES100's over the 712's if you are looking for something like that. Neither stick or handle like the MX's though, but last longer and are better in the rain.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #12
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
If I had the option I would go with the old AVS intermediates (or 520's or something). At least i think that's the one I'm thinking of. The CRX guys used to use them for autocrossing all the time.

The 712's were a cheap tire to get by with. When I raced it at the MNDOT track in St. Cloud I could not get it to break loose on me. The thread would peel up on each tread, but only under really hard driving. They squalled going around each corner but I could not get it to rotate around on me. Believe me, I know they aren't real performance tires and that's why I would not buy them again. I have Potenza re910's on the car right now and am happy with those (for an everyday driving tire).

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004   #13
LightningGSX
Hellbound

S 03 Pole positions are the greatest street tire ever made, In my opinion.They are very predictable and the wet traction is almost perfect.But they are horrible in any snow(even light snow) or ice, I mean down right scary.
Old 01-10-2004   #14
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Because Nitto 555Rs are a drag tire, don't they have softer sidewalls and would affect handling other than going in a straight line? Just curious...

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 01-11-2004   #15
At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt D.@Jan 10 2004, 11:15 PM
Because Nitto 555Rs are a drag tire, don't they have softer sidewalls and would affect handling other than going in a straight line? Just curious...
yes.

Old 01-11-2004   #16
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Good, so if you want your car to handle good and don't care for that little "extra" straight line traction, don't get the Nitto 555Rs.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2004   #17
At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt D.@Jan 11 2004, 02:44 AM
Good, so if you want your car to handle good and don't care for that little "extra" straight line traction, don't get the Nitto 555Rs.
Well, they don't make 555R's in the sizes DSMs can use anyways so you can't get them if you wanted to. The contact patch of the tire was pretty nice and plenty though.

Old 01-11-2004   #18
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
i liked my Kumho 712s, and opus liked them too
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004   #19
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by . guest .+Jan 11 2004, 03:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (. guest . @ Jan 11 2004, 03:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Matt D.@Jan 11 2004, 02:44 AM
Well, they don't make 555R's in the sizes DSMs can use anyways so you can't get them if you wanted to. The contact patch of the tire was pretty nice and plenty though. [/b][/quote]
Who said I would need stock DSM sized tires?

Quote:
Old 01-12-2004   #20
At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt D.+Jan 12 2004, 12:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Matt D. @ Jan 12 2004, 12:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by . guest .@Jan 11 2004, 03:02 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Matt D.
Quote:
@Jan 11 2004, 02:44 AM

Well, they don't make 555R's in the sizes DSMs can use anyways so you can't get them if you wanted to. The contact patch of the tire was pretty nice and plenty though.
Who said I would need stock DSM sized tires? [/b][/quote]
They don't make ANY that fit ANY dsm applicated wheel sizes in 15(205/50/15), 16 (205/40/16's), 17 ( like 255's or 275's which are wayy too wide) or 18s. BFG has some usuable ones and M/T (235/60/15) are coming out with some good 15 inch'd sized ones, and... there's the Toyo RA-1s that I saw AMS use on their Evo3 that ran 9.7's. Good enough proof of traction for me if it worked for that car's launching(when he had good launches). All the available DR's for DSM sized applications are ~$150+ a tire now.