MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 04-07-2014   #101
Mark Leasure

Re: Project Black ValentNine

How much was it again, do you owe any favors?
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014   #102
MorningWood

Drives: Evo 8, 2014 Silverado

Wednesday night Drags may 7th?
MorningWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #103
scheides
flips McGee

"Hello, deep end?"
"Go for deep end."
"It's scheidesball one...he's gone to plaid!"

First off, I'm just gonna start with this:

Yahoo! The car runs and drives. I got a good deal on the turbo but today I maybe found out why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KeBKeIT2I4&hd=1

The car starts runs and drives just dandy, but on decel it smokes. No residue in the exhaust manifold at all so it is very likely coming from the turbo. Checked PCVs and kracka vents and all are nice and clean. Really not sure what to do, everyone I talk to has turbos on backorder. I'm not giving up, this thing is SO close.

Also, these showed up today:

I now am the proud owner of *7* sets of wheels and 6 sets of tires. Yeash. These are off of a 2014 GSR from NJ and while they're good and dirty they appear to be pretty straight. I'm going to take the Fuzion ZRi tires off of the black/red tenzos that came with the car and put them on these. Not 100% sure if they'll stay on this car or if I'll swap with the X, we'll see.

Something else showed up today as well! A broken spring:

This....will make driving at track events tricky.

Oh, and one of the snow tires has a big screw in it. Freaking love Fridays! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #104
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

Try to get money back on the fp white and buy a new fp turbo or bbk
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #105
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Yea, I would definitely try and get your money back on the turbo. Or maybe swap in a known good stocker just to verify? Good luck figuring it all out!
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #106
scheides
flips McGee

Yea trying to find a known-good stocker was what I tried to do in the first place...back to the drawing board on that one. Found some nationally, gonna try and get one here as soon as I can. Maybe I'll have as many turbos as I do sets of wheels soon just to make sure I'm covered? :P
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 04-12-2014   #107
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Woot!! glad it is up and running. Those X wheels will look hot! I wanted a set of those for that car, but black is sexier... fyi.

Bummer about the turbo and the spring though ...
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #108
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Fuckin bad luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #109
scheides
flips McGee

Welp, that just happened.

I'll post more later
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 04-14-2014   #110
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

:woot:
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #111
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

Baller
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #112
scheides
flips McGee

Alrighty here's the story...against my better judgement but in response to what my heart told me I blew off work for most of the day in an effort to try and get this thing on the road. It was a rollercoaster of a day but man I can now say it was WELL worth it!

Ronnie at RS Motors. Holy crap I cannot say enough great things right now...the dude just seriously bent over backwards for me. This build started as a fun project but there were some serious bumps and Ron just took care of me the whole way. Part of me feels extremely bad for not using DB Performance or MAP for this build but honestly for the time, the car, the situation, this just worked out. Ron seriously knows his stuff and he bends over backwards to get cars running right...with a huge smile on his face the whole way!

So I posted above that the turbo was smoking...that was friday. Bummer way to start the weekend but it was what it was. I know everyone is saying, 'have MAP rebuild it!!' but you should remember this: it's Spring, they are selling the hot turbos on the market right now, and even though they will bend over for me too they are 3 weeks away from helping me....first event I want to run this car at is in two! So...I am running all over to try and find a solution and not break the bank. I ended up with this from MAP:

Yup, I was thinking about rebuilding the FP White...maybe myself, maybe Ron, maybe together....idk. Then I was thinking hey, let's rebuild the blown stock turbo! Less risky. Ugh, still, if we had a known good turbo we would be in such better shape troubleshooting-wise.

So then Ron tells me he has a turbo that is known good that he will swap on as a test and that I can borrow it. It's a freaking Evo6.5 TME. Look it up online, these things are not cheap!!! But.....it was known good, it was the best option we had to make sure we had the right troubleshooting step solved. I agreed, and before I knew what to do it was Monday and Ron had the turbo swapped.

Like a fool I was running around back and forth the last few weeks from RS and 'trying to help' I took some of the extra parts home, including the red ebay samco-style intake that Rosey had on the car to begin with. I sent some parts back with Spazzy since he was headed that way anyways and whatever....not the red intake ended up on the car. He had some straight ETS intake on it and while the car started it wanted to stall and dip idle because of its design.

So we have a turbo, an intake, a car that runs and guess what: NO SMOKE! Literally the only thing swapped was the turbo and like a boss the thing ran nice and clean. I met Ron & his crew at El Loro for some lunch and found out that through all of this it was his birthday! Happy 21 Ron! So I hop in the car afterwards and head back to his shop and the front left spring situation starts to rear its ugly head...just horrible noises coming as I turn in the parking lot.

Doom and gloom? Nope! While I was at MAP sorting the turbo situation I happened to order up a set of Swift SpecR springs Unfortunately they are being drop-shipped to my house so they won't be in for a few days but screw it! The car runs and drives and I'll be careful in the corners....The snow tires on it are done with life anyways, I'll just kill'em a little early.

So, hop in the car, off we go! Stop at Holiday for some freshy fresh E85 and as I pull up to the pump I hear rubbing the entire circumference of the wheel and a pretty big creeeek. I crank teh wheel left and right and it kinda sits up again but the front left is definitely hanging a little low. Ugh. So, top up, head back towards Ron's shop and then BAM she drops down a good smidge and the noise is back with a vengance. I zip over the overpass, the shop is only a mile...noise louder...LoudeR......LOUDER...Goosh! Tire pops, dragging shit, I pull over. FML!

I am just besides myself. It's not Ron's fault, it's my fault for thinking I could drive it like this. Just dumb. So I get a ride back to the shop, sit in my VW TRUCK STUFF VW and call in for a quick conference call for work. 60 minutes later, ass bleeding, I walk into the shop and there's the Black ValentNine. What? Ron and/or his guys ran over to the car, brought a known good wheel/tire, put it in harm's way, jacked the car up and fiddled with the spring enough to get it back upright. On the side of the road. While I was pouting.

Even better? They have a spare GTWORX spring set sitting there. They offer to swap it on while I run home for wheels/tires. Remember, it's Ron's bday. I show back up with these ghey black wheels w/ tires on them and my new set of EvoX GSR Enkei's. '10 minutes, let's do this!' says Ron. He has a tire station on his shop. Wow. I help however I can and 15 minutes later the tires are swapped and we are mounting them on my car. Ron goes off for birthday time with his family and I am just happy as a clam!

Tires mounted, we roll out, stop for a quick photo as I am just DIGGING the new wheel setup....and roll on home. I'm NOT impressed with the POS ETS intake....maybe its fixable with tuning but yeow. Part-load throttle input is just junk, the car falls on its face when trying to even cruise on the freeway.

photo by spazlicious

photo by rosey mcawesome

Car makes it home NO PROBLEM even with the goofy spring setup...I let it cool down, swap back in the red ebay intake (of awesome) and it idles and drives like a dream again. About 60 miles on the clock and I'm already just making devious, fiendish plans in my head about because race car....

Thanks Ron! Thanks Paul! Thanks RS! Thanks Spaz! Thanks Rosey!!!!

To be continued...I have a pile of parts ready to install and a lot of vacuum pulls to get through
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 04-14-2014   #113
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Heck of a journey.

Ron is good people.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #114
b00sted_spyder

Drives: 97 Eclipse GST spyder(Project car), 95 Corolla(DD), 91 MR2 turbo(Fun car)

EvoX wheels = sex!
b00sted_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #115
dsmreck

Drives: 98 gsx
Talking Re: Project Black ValentNine

watch doing with the ghey black wheels. lol I'm a pest. congrats on getting the car up and going
dsmreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #116
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmreck View Post
watch doing with the ghey black wheels. lol I'm a pest. congrats on getting the car up and going
Cleaning and selling! They'll fit on a DSM perfect. Come get'em, price is flexible. PM me.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 04-14-2014   #117
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

^beer
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #118
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Wow... sounds like Murphy's law came and slapped the shit outta the car today. Thank goodness for Ron and RS for saving the day. Great story!
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #119
mark4g63t

Drives: 95 Talon TSI

LOLing at that pic of you and the tires. Wheels look awesome.
Old 04-15-2014   #120
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4g63t View Post
LOLing at that pic of you and the tires. Wheels look awesome.
That was a tire lubing selfie!

Glad you got it home!! Happy to help out last night.

The X wheels look awesome (I always wanted some)... they just need more.. black!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote