MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Classifieds > Mitsu vehicle parts for sale

Old 03-05-2009   #1
scheides
flips McGee

FS: IX turbo, ~45k miles

This is a full discretion post, please read it all if you're thinking about buying this turbo:

I had several people show interest but haven't heard back from anyone. Here's the scoop. I was on the dyno for a baseline before putting on my bbk two weeks ago and the car was down on power. On pump gas boost was all fubar so it wasn't a very good comparo, but on alky the car was down about 50whp. Looking for answers, I did a compression test, all was fine, but a boost leak test revealed a big leak at the TB coupler Once I fixed that, I discovered a small leak from what sounded like the comp cover outlet. I could not find the leak, and finally figured it was air leaking past the turbo's bearings and into the crank case. This would explain the loss in power, turbo bearings going out. Then, I checked shaft play, and its 100% perfect. Very strange!

Important note: while the car was down on power on the dyno, on the street if felt 100% normal. I have been beating up on GSXR-750's on the freeway with little problem, the car would do solid 25psi on pump gas and spike 29psi and taper to ~24psi on alky or E85. I always let it cool after having fun with it, and always let it warm up before getting on it.

Well, the bbk was on its way anyways, so after swapping it in, I did a boost leak test on the bench, sealing up the comp cover outlet, and expecting air to go shooting out the oil holes. To my surprise, up to 18psi, zero leakage. It holds boost fine. Shaft play is identical to the bbk, just what I'd expect on a good turbo.....both wheels are in perfect shape.

So it is what it is, if you want it, make an offer. I'd like $400 obo, if you feel its worth less then make me a serious offer and we'll go from there.

The scroll inlets are lightly gasket-matched by myself just to smooth flow into the inlets. I made a best of 365whp with this on DB's dyno last summer.

I think I have the stock IX o2 housing that came with this turbo; I'll throw that into the deal for free.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: FS: IX turbo, ~45k miles

Sold!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote