Old 11-23-2007   #21
Black97civic
35mpg

Become the 16-Bit Wizard Champion!
Send a message via AIM to Black97civic
Re: HIDs installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
I don't find HID's to be blinding at all. I personally feel they are easier on my eyes then the standard Halogen bulbs.
Stock/well installed hid's or halfass installed ones like these. Stock/well installed ones are easier on the eyes because of the sharper cutoff and less glare, these will be worse than halogens because they will have all the problems that halogens have, and they are brighter, plus the housings aren't designed for HID bulbs, so the beam pattern would probably be worse.

I am seriously considering an HID projector retrofit for my honda, they are definately nice, getting cheaper by the day, and my current headlights suck balls.
Black97civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #22
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black97civic View Post
Stock/well installed hid's or halfass installed ones like these. Stock/well installed ones are easier on the eyes because of the sharper cutoff and less glare, these will be worse than halogens because they will have all the problems that halogens have, and they are brighter, plus the housings aren't designed for HID bulbs, so the beam pattern would probably be worse.

I am seriously considering an HID projector retrofit for my honda, they are definately nice, getting cheaper by the day, and my current headlights suck balls.
1. How do you know he halfassed the install? Have you seen it first hand?
2. How would the beam pattern be any different? the only difference is the brightness of the bulb. He didn't change the reflector of the headlight at all, hence: no change in beam pattern.
Old 11-23-2007   #23
Black97civic
35mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer View Post
1. How do you know he halfassed the install? Have you seen it first hand?
He said that they are in standard halogen housings, that in and of itself makes it a halfassed install. I am sure he tightened down all the bolts, and has the headlights aligned, but he still didn't do it the correct way.

Quote:
2. How would the beam pattern be any different? the only difference is the brightness of the bulb. He didn't change the reflector of the headlight at all, hence: no change in beam pattern.
Look at the image I attached, the one on the left is an HID bulb, the one on the right is a standard halogen, see any difference??

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Read that link, or if you're too lazy, I'll quote the important part for you...

Quote:
Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc.
So yeah, a half assed, possibly dangerous, and illegal. Yeah, I doubt he will get pulled over for it, but it is still annoying as fuck when someone like him pulls up behind me and blinds the shit out of me even though "Its all good, I gotz tyte eyebrows on my headlights, lol!!"

BTW, maybe do a little bit of research before trying to sound like you know what you are talking about, everything I found came from common automotive knowledge, and 5 seconds of google searching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HID_vs_HallogenBlackIndex-368x154.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	6611  
Old 11-23-2007   #24
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Yea and what isnt half assed on most dsm owners cars on this site? I said most.. not all.

Sweet HIDS, I cant wait to see them in person! And Im regretting not getting a set...
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #25
Kevin 1G Drummer

Quote:
He said that they are in standard halogen housings, that in and of itself makes it a halfassed install. I am sure he tightened down all the bolts, and has the headlights aligned, but he still didn't do it the correct way.

Look at the image I attached, the one on the left is an HID bulb, the one on the right is a standard halogen, see any difference??

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Read that link, or if you're too lazy, I'll quote the important part for you...

So yeah, a half assed, possibly dangerous, and illegal. Yeah, I doubt he will get pulled over for it, but it is still annoying as fuck when someone like him pulls up behind me and blinds the shit out of me even though "Its all good, I gotz tyte eyebrows on my headlights, lol!!"

BTW, maybe do a little bit of research before trying to sound like you know what you are talking about, everything I found came from common automotive knowledge, and 5 seconds of google searching.
In your opinion, it may be a half assed install, but it's just that: your opinion. I do agree that there are better ways to do the HID conversion, but I don't see a problem with doing it this way. If they're being manufactured to be installed this way, then I don't see a problem with it. I spent a good bit of time reading that article you posted a link to, and a few other articles he wrote. Yes there is a little difference in beam pattern, but I don't think it would hinder the performance of the headlights, considering there is more light output.

BTW, I wasn't trying to call you out, so there's no need to get all defensive.
Old 11-23-2007   #26
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

wow. i didnt know my headlights could make so many people angry... and not even blinding them on the road... but with pictures on a website
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #27
bluntedelvis
Click,Click,BOOM!!!

^I say fuck'em, it looks tit's!!!! I should get some for my 2g
Old 11-24-2007   #28
YiNYaNg
Hold Alt & press F4...LoL

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...661&highlight=

Looky what I found
http://www.myspace.com/kounpheng
YiNYaNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #29
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by YiNYaNg View Post
We need to be members there to view.
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #30
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
He's a hater because he's right and what you're doing is both unsafe and not legal? Hmm...
And you both know all this from a few camera phone photos?
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #31
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I love HID's, that'll probably be on my list of upgrades as well. I used to have HID driving lights that were WAY brighter than any factory type lights. Trouble is they did blind people, so I couldn't use them much. They did light up road signs so bright from a quarter mile away that you could see what the sign previously said. Apparently road signs get recycled as well.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #32
Black97civic
35mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer View Post
In your opinion, it may be a half assed install, but it's just that: your opinion. I do agree that there are better ways to do the HID conversion, but I don't see a problem with doing it this way.
I guess you can't argue with stupid. Yeah, other than it being not the right way to install them, being unsafe and illegal, its a pretty good install.

Yes, there will be more light, nobody is disputing that, but I could throw a coupe 10million candle power spotlights on the front of my car and have the same effect. The idea is to get more light out, and do it safely, like an OEM install. You do this by taking your time, not half assing it, and retrofitting an oem projector so the beam doesn't blind everyone else on the road so you can have sweet looking headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
And you both know all this from a few camera phone photos?
And years of people proving that these installs suck.
Old 11-24-2007   #33
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Fuck headlights, I'm getting some gas lanterns to hang in front of my car!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #34
scheides
flips McGee

Lightbulb Re: HIDs installed

Quote:
I guess you can't argue with stupid. Yeah, other than it being not the right way to install them, being unsafe and illegal, its a pretty good install.

Yes, there will be more light, nobody is disputing that, but I could throw a coupe 10million candle power a on the front of my car and have the same effect. The idea is to get more light out, and do it safely, like an OEM install. You do this by taking your time, not half assing it, and retrofitting an oem projector so the beam doesn't blind everyone else on the road so you can have sweet looking headlights

you need to calm down. Calling someone's work half-assed without having any specific reasons is just plain disrespectful. I see you make a few points about doing projectors and mounting stuff properly, but you're being too vague. If you really want to be semi useful, write up a project thread and show us how a proper hid conversion is supposed to be done. Don't just show up and insult someone's handywork.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #35
Kevin 1G Drummer

Quote:

Yes, there will be more light, nobody is disputing that, but I could throw a coupe 10million candle power spotlights on the front of my car and have the same effect. The idea is to get more light out, and do it safely, like an OEM install. You do this by taking your time, not half assing it, and retrofitting an oem projector so the beam doesn't blind everyone else on the road so you can have sweet looking headlights

Dude, Like Schiedes said, you need to calm down a little. Just because I may not agree with your high and mighty headlight install methods, doesn't mean you should be calling me stupid. As for the legality of it, It may be illegal, and like you said, he probably won't get pulled over for it, so what's the big deal? I'm sure you have nothing on your car that doesn't break any laws If someone is behind you with their "Dazzeling" headlights, there is a little thing on your mirror that you can flip to make things darker. If they're oncoming, the lights won't be in your eyes for too long. So as long as you're not driving in a unsafe manner to begin with, there shouldn't be a problem with it. I know I've never had a problem with them.
Old 11-24-2007   #36
Black97civic
35mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
you need to calm down. Calling someone's work half-assed without having any specific reasons is just plain disrespectful. I see you make a few points about doing projectors and mounting stuff properly, but you're being too vague. If you really want to be semi useful, write up a project thread and show us how a proper hid conversion is supposed to be done. Don't just show up and insult someone's handywork.
What exactly do I need to be more specific about. Don't install HID's in halogen projectors, it makes for an overly bright and crappy beam pattern that has been proven to be unsafe, and deemed illegal by the DOT. Obviously there is a reason why it is legal in OEM applications and not when you do it like this.

As far as being useful and writing a guide, why would I do it when there are probably hundreds of them on the site that has already been posted. Go to hidplanet.com if you want to see the right way to do this install safely and legally.

Sorry if it is insulting, but if I wrote a thread about how I glued a turbo to my exhaust manifold, I would expect to get called out. Half-assed is what this install is, I'm not saying that this guy is a bad mechanic, or stupid or anything, but he didn't go about this install the right way.

Edit: Would everyone quit crying if I edited my posts and said "incorrectly installed" instead of "halfassed"?? I didn't realize this place was becoming so uptight, I remember the days when if someone did something incorrectly/riced out their car/acted like an idiiot, we could call them out on it.

Last edited by Black97civic; 11-24-2007 at 03:06 PM..
Old 11-24-2007   #37
TsiEagleTalon92

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Palisade

Quote:

So basically everything has to be done perfectly in life or why do anything at all? I see we can't have trial and error anymore, can't ever mess something up and be able to fix it if need be?

Everything has to be done the "Right Way" so we can all be the same and not have anything unique and of our own? No freedom to express ourselves in our own way.

Those lights are going to have the same "problem" as all halogen lights when halogens are pretty much the norm in automobiles nowadays? The only thing you have proven against them is that they are brighter... wow. You also state that housings arent designed for them.. custom done things don't tend to fit perfectly and not need tweeking or a different approach to getting it done. You also aren't even sure you know the answer to your own argument because you THINK the beam pattern will be worse. Maybe were not the only ones that need to research?
TsiEagleTalon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #38
Black97civic
35mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsiEagleTalon92 View Post
So basically everything has to be done perfectly in life or why do anything at all? I see we can't have trial and error anymore, can't ever mess something up and be able to fix it if need be?

Everything has to be done the "Right Way" so we can all be the same and not have anything unique and of our own? No freedom to express ourselves in our own way.
It's unsafe, whats so hard to understand? He did something, that by popular opinion, is not the correct way to do it. I didn't invent any of this, and I'm not telling him t do it my way or die, all I said was that it wasn't the right way to do it. And freedom of expression in modding cars, don't you think you might be reading into this a little too far?

Quote:
Those lights are going to have the same "problem" as all halogen lights when halogens are pretty much the norm in automobiles nowadays? The only thing you have proven against them is that they are brighter... wow. You also state that housings arent designed for them.. custom done things don't tend to fit perfectly and not need tweeking or a different approach to getting it done. You also aren't even sure you know the answer to your own argument because you THINK the beam pattern will be worse. Maybe were not the only ones that need to research?
The problem is that these lights are brighter, making the glare worse than it should be, and the housings aren't designed for the shape of the bulb, making it even worse. Yeah, custom done things don't fit right, there was a link provided that has many tutorials and threads about the correct ways to do it right. He didn't do it the way that makes them function as intended, simple as that.

As far as doing research, so far it appears that only a few of us actually did any, and the original poster wasn't one of them. I'm not the only one that raised these points, so I would think it should be fairly obvious that I'm not just making this up to be a dick.
Old 11-24-2007   #39
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

It's not THAT big of a deal. Sheesh. You are making it seem like the OP actually put a "coupe 10million candle power spotlights" on his car. Chill out dude.

I'm planning on putting HID's in some stock housing headlights or some ebay projector headlights for my "back to 2Gb conversion" also. Rock on OP
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #40
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YiNYaNg View Post
wow. you must have absolutely no life if you start a thread calling me out on another forum. honestly if you knew me, you'd know that i couldn't give two runny shits about what those guys have to say or what anyone has to say about my car. one, its a pos galant, and two, its MY pos galant.

unfortunately i dont have the money, knowledge, skill, or time to devote to purchasing projectors for HIDs and a smaller seperate high beam halogen housing, creating a casing and mounting the housings, and running seperate wiring for low and hi beams. i have researched, and after reading all i could, i decided this was the best way to go.

so please, if it helps you get off while giggling like a schoolgirl, post a link to this thread where ever you'd like.
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote