MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 10-30-2006   #21
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23
Re: Engine Building-What Products?

That main girdle thing is interesting.
Right now I have a 20G turbo. Its just a FWD so I dont want to go too big. BUT I want the engine to handle "anything" I throw at it.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #22
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

The main girdle piece looks nice, but I think they might want to torque the main studs to spec then see if they still have this problem.
" Torquing the main bolts to as much as 55ft-lbs didn’t help this at all."
The spec for ARP mains (10mm 190,000psi stud) is 60 lb/ft which is only 75% or the yield strength, they could try going a little more than 60 lb/ft to see if that helps. Also if they installed arps they should have line honed the block. If I have to make a piece like that I would integrate a windige tray into it.

~John
Old 10-30-2006   #23
santa
Boost Spike

Drives: 93 talon Automagickinda....
Send a message via AIM to santa
Talking Re: Engine Building-What Products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
The performance gains on a 3 vs 5 angle valve job are noticeable but usually not worth the additional port work required to make it worth while.
So let me get this straight. You're saying that the performance gain of a 5-angle valve job is not worth the extra time (sparing no expense at the machine shop)? The gains seen between a 3-angle and 5-angle valve job are typically 6-7cfm per port (from personal experience on a flow bench), and all you have to do is simply request this from your machine shop. How hard is that? If you are sparing no expense it is definately worth looking into.

Last edited by santa; 10-30-2006 at 08:05 PM..
santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #24
v8klla

Send a message via ICQ to v8klla Send a message via AIM to v8klla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 View Post
The main girdle piece looks nice, but I think they might want to torque the main studs to spec then see if they still have this problem.
The spec for ARP mains (10mm 190,000psi stud) is 60 lb/ft which is only 75% or the yield strength, they could try going a little more than 60 lb/ft to see if that helps. Also if they installed arps they should have line honed the block. If I have to make a piece like that I would integrate a windige tray into it.

~John
They were referring to stock main bolts at this point... Looks like a piece worth looking into though!

Chris
E: chris@maperformance.com

We want your business! Please contact me directly for a quote or stop by the facility for a quick tour!
v8klla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #25
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 View Post

~John
You'd have to read more about it to know what it was designed for. It's not a band-aid for improper torque specs. It's one of those things that if you need it, you'd know.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #26
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

The pics on the web page and the motor they talk about was using arp mains, so I thought that was the torque spec they used for the arps. Making a plate like that would not be hard, but $150 is a good price.

~John
Old 10-31-2006   #27
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

just use stock cam gears. you can re-mark them yourself and spend the 40 bucks somewhere else!
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #28
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Yeah, there is no need to buy 2.4 cam gears.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #29
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
So let me get this straight. You're saying that the performance gain of a 5-angle valve job is not worth the extra time (sparing no expense at the machine shop)? The gains seen between a 3-angle and 5-angle valve job are typically 6-7cfm per port (from personal experience on a flow bench), and all you have to do is simply request this from your machine shop. How hard is that? If you are sparing no expense it is definately worth looking into.
You are seeing 6-7cfm per port on a dsm head by changing out to a 3-angle to a 5-angle valve job? Whom-ever is doing the 3 angle valve job sucks then. Just going by personal experience . I am assuming you did this in school, or did MAP buy a flow-bench? Maybe you can tell me at what pressures those gains were seen at? Cam height? Valve seat angles? Where were they seen? Peak? Low-lift? Midrange? Overall gains? What size valves were these on? What flow bench? What bore size? Please enlighten me in your experiences.

I have done plenty of research into valve seat angles compared to cfm gains in different ranges, you do realize that the cams we are working with are usually less than .450" lift? I also have done PLENTY of research into wear characteristics and longevity of a 3-angle valve job vs. a 5-angle on a STREET CAR.

Different part selection, changing valve heights, adjusting port configuration are all more things "worth it" on a spare no expense situation.

Finally, if you read the customers post, instead of a my posts, you would realize that he has already paid for a 3 angle valve job on his current head and was inquiring if it should be sufficient. I was simply stating the added costs of going to a 5-angle valve job won't notice him huge gains. Hince the recommendation of going with a 3-angle valve job.

So I will state again. The costs involved compared to the potential performance gains will lead me to state that Mike will be better off keeping his current head and putting the money elsewhere.

Last edited by niterydr; 11-01-2006 at 08:18 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #30
1ViciousGSX
Admin

The cam gears are off by 1/2 a tooth. How do plan to re-mark them? Either way you are 1/2 tooth advanced or 1/2 tooth retarded. Buy 2.4L gears or adjustable 2.0L gears and degree them in like I did.

From reading this thread, you might want to let somebody build it for you.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #31
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

You could remark your 2.0 gears, they'd be exactly half a tooth clockwise from the original marks. Like Vicious, I bought the 2.4 gears, timing is just not something I'd do half-assed.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #32
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Just mark them like this. Yes i know they arent the stock gears but who cares? The marks line up the same way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam gears.jpg (89.7 KB, 292 views)
04 E55 AMG
Old 10-31-2006   #33
Outlaw1
Resident Redneck

Is there a huge cylinder head flow difference between 3 angle vs. 5 angle valve seats....? Not so much.

I've spent countless hours on SuperFlows, from the old tube style pressure readers, to the new "touch one button" setups playing with all kinds of cylinder head setups. I've only seen some minor gains here and there, typically in the low lift numbers with different seat angles, including radius'd exaust valve heads flowing them at 25 and 28 inches of water. I know some guys that would pay big bucks if you could get them an additional 7cfm's out of their heads.

I reread that and it sounded like I don't condone 5 angle seats. If you have the cutters, by all means multi-angle cut the seats, backcut your intake valves and radius your exaust valve, but don't expect huge gains. Put your trust into someone who will make sure you have a good set of guides and knows how your seat width will work with your particular combination. And lastly, lap the damn things in. They only have to touch them for a second to see where the valve hits the seat and it saves the hassle of getting an uneven seat or valve face because the cutter chattered the seat. Even with a Sunnen automated cutter you can still get crappy seats. The machine work is only as good as the guy sending it out the door.

10.48 @ 136.86 w/1.65 60'

Last edited by Outlaw1; 10-31-2006 at 04:45 PM..
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #34
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
Just mark them like this. Yes i know they arent the stock gears but who cares? The marks line up the same way.
Damn, homie's got a gear drive set-up.

If I remember correctly the difference is about 4.5 deg of cam timing in either direction. Ask anybody who's done building and/or tuning and they will tell you 4.5 deg is alot. Do it right. You'll spend many times the cost of the gears trying to get back that power difference.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 11-01-2006   #35
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

shane, mo and cher all made some pretty respectable power with remarked STOCK CAM GEARS friend
04 E55 AMG
Old 11-01-2006   #36
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

This thread is great.
Old 11-01-2006   #37
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero

I remarked my timing gears, I bought a 2.4 timing gear from mitsu to overlay on the stock 2.0 gears like forever ago. I have no idea where my 2.4 gear ended up, I know its floated around the community for remarking stockers. No problems here, pretty simple modification.

Jim
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #38
CDeutsch

I have OEM 2.4 gears you can buy/rent. PM me if interested.

$10 per gear (I paid $17.14 and $18.20 excluding tax and shipping)

I ended up marking a set of AEM adjustables.

Headwerks did my machine work to the bottom end and so far it's taken 10,000 plus miles of my amateur assembly and tuning abuse. lol

They too recommend OEM main bearings unless I wanted to align hone the mains. I'm using all OEM bearings, Eagle rods, and Ross pistons.
CDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #39
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
shane, mo and cher all made some pretty respectable power with remarked STOCK CAM GEARS friend
I seriously doubt that. Do you understand where the problem is in running the 2.0L gears on a 2.4L block?

(#Y#)
Old 11-02-2006   #40
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX View Post
I seriously doubt that. Do you understand where the problem is in running the 2.0L gears on a 2.4L block?
Mike what are you saying? Shane, Cher, Mo, and myself all overlaid a stock 2.4 cam gear on top of a stock 2.0 cam gear and remarked the timing marks. Pretty simple and widely done, back when I did the 2.4 swap I don't think there were 2.4 cam gears available other than stock.

Jim
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote