MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 02-24-2004   #21
jimwross

Tournaments Won: 6

Quote:
Originally posted by SquackDiddy@Feb 24 2004, 02:48 PM
this 97+ headlights/frontbumper swap works on all 2g dsms right?
Yup, all 95+ can have the 97-99 bumper swap + lights.
Old 02-24-2004   #22
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
You might get a little prep with maaco if you do the cheapest option they have but it wont be down the the metal priming etc. They will just scuff it and paint it. The paint is prolly not the greatest either. It may look ok and for 700 bucks it prolly is, just who knows how long it will last and how durable the coats are.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004   #23
SquackDiddy

Send a message via AIM to SquackDiddy Send a message via MSN to SquackDiddy
could you make your own color? like mix up other colors to make a new one. you think they could strip down the whole car and paint every single body part(sanding it and all that good stuff)?
Old 02-24-2004   #24
Iceman

Quote:
Originally posted by SquackDiddy@Feb 24 2004, 03:59 PM
could you make your own color? like mix up other colors to make a new one. you think they could strip down the whole car and paint every single body part(sanding it and all that good stuff)?
Every peice? Like taking out the engine and getting that painted? I have seen around 5k for everything repainted... Also i bet you could make your own color for the car but its gona cost you much more money than the standard colors.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004   #25
SquackDiddy

taking out tall of the interior, take out the motor, wiring, and everything else that does not need to get painted.
Old 02-24-2004   #26
jimwross

$700 Isn't thier cheapest option, its a pretty high option; they do the sanding and stuff. There's a cheaper option that they advertise, where many people get thier opinions from. Here attached are some maaco paint jobs (same option I used)

You can reference this POST for those owners opinions.
Old 02-24-2004   #27
jimwross

Here's another guy... Before and after photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back_bad_small.jpg (63.1 KB, 221 views)
Old 02-24-2004   #28
jimwross

After:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back_good_small.jpg (54.6 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-24-2004   #29
jimwross

Before:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side_bad_small.jpg (57.1 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-24-2004   #30
jimwross

After:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side_good_small.jpg (53.6 KB, 216 views)
Old 02-24-2004   #31
SquackDiddy

wow , that stuff is nice. i think im going to get a 1g if i can repaint it for $700. that blue one looks really nice(1g).
Old 02-24-2004   #32
SquackDiddy

what about the 97+ eclipse wings, could you put those on any 95+ 2g?
Old 02-24-2004   #33
jimwross

Yup... I bought mine off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2461298132

It's around ~150 new shipped.

Haha, I guess I did the whole conversion... if you want info on the conversion from talon to eclipse, or the whole info on it all lemme know.
Old 02-24-2004   #34
A//// Guy

Yea I said you didnt get the cheapest option thats why you got prep. The cheapest option is the worst. That is where they basically just spray a new coat on to make it look pretty to sell it quick.

If they did a good job and used good paint that is sweet, but Ive just never been a big fan of maaco just becuase of there scam job of painting for real cheap just so it looks "new."
Old 02-24-2004   #35
jimwross

Quote:
Originally posted by EclipseTurbo@Feb 24 2004, 11:22 PM
Yea I said you didnt get the cheapest option thats why you got prep. The cheapest option is the worst. That is where they basically just spray a new coat on to make it look pretty to sell it quick.

If they did a good job and used good paint that is sweet, but Ive just never been a big fan of maaco just becuase of there scam job of painting for real cheap just so it looks "new."
Yeah, I know what you mean; there is this $150 paint job they advertise once and a while... that's hella shotty work.

My grandma had a fairly new accord that rusted on the fender... she took it there and did absolutly shitty work. I guess even at maaco you get what you pay for.

But.. then again, how much do you really want to spend on a 10-15 year old car for a paint job? hehe.
Old 02-25-2004   #36
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally posted by EclipseTurbo@Feb 24 2004, 04:50 PM
You might get a little prep with maaco if you do the cheapest option they have but it wont be down the the metal priming etc. They will just scuff it and paint it. The paint is prolly not the greatest either. It may look ok and for 700 bucks it prolly is, just who knows how long it will last and how durable the coats are.
Nobody does down to the metal sanding. It is pointless. many cars have dents, dings, etc anyhow. They prep every car. Just some better than others. There is no way they could take your car through the wash and spray it. Painting is alot of work. Amaco is cheap for a reason. Their prep work is less than that of a normal shop. Painting is not the difficult part. Painting in itself is the easy aspect. Sanding and prep work is the hardest and most time consuming. That is why they are able to charge less than other shops.

As far as the rust on the fender goes, what were you expecting? You should have just bought another fender. It is going to rust again anyhow. I highly doubt that they cut out the rust and welded a new section in. You should have just gone to a junkyard and found another fender for $75. Then you have a better chance of the paint matching anyhow.
Old 02-25-2004   #37
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo
Quote:
Originally posted by EclipseTurbo@Feb 24 2004, 03:12 PM
HA Maaco, quality. Thats funny.

You get what you pay for. There is really no prep, for 700 bucks you just get a new color sprayed on your old color.
They do no prep work, that's why it's cheap. Solution: prep it yourself. As for painting, it doesnt take a genius to paint, so it shouldn't be too bad. Like someone posted, just make sure you get one where they have done good work and know what they were talking about.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004   #38
A//// Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by 92tsiawd84@Feb 25 2004, 10:27 AM

Nobody does down to the metal sanding. It is pointless. many cars have dents, dings, etc anyhow. They prep every car. Just some better than others. There is no way they could take your car through the wash and spray it. Painting is alot of work. Amaco is cheap for a reason. Their prep work is less than that of a normal shop. Painting is not the difficult part. Painting in itself is the easy aspect. Sanding and prep work is the hardest and most time consuming. That is why they are able to charge less than other shops.

As far as the rust on the fender goes, what were you expecting? You should have just bought another fender. It is going to rust again anyhow. I highly doubt that they cut out the rust and welded a new section in. You should have just gone to a junkyard and found another fender for $75. Then you have a better chance of the paint matching anyhow.
[/quote]
Yea I know they dont wash and paint... ther is some Scuffing as I said. They only scuff to make the paint stick somewhat to the car....

I didnt know that Amaco painted cars, is that new?

Oh and about welding a fender area. Maybe its not worth it for the front fenders, but I had a section behind the passenger door that was welded in and painted....

Also if an area had rust and it was properly sanded off and primed and prepped then it should NOT rust back. Unless it was crapply prepped and painted.
Old 02-25-2004   #39
A//// Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by . guest .@Feb 25 2004, 10:37 AM

They do no prep work, that's why it's cheap. Solution: prep it yourself. As for painting, it doesnt take a genius to paint, so it shouldn't be too bad. Like someone posted, just make sure you get one where they have done good work and know what they were talking about.
The average person doesnt know where to start with properly prepping a car to get painted. A person that knows cars well and likes that kind of work will prolly do a good job... but not the avg person.

Painting takes alot of skill.. if you dont want runs and stuff. I mean any person cant just grab a gun a spray the car and expect to have it turn out well.