MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 02-06-2013   #1
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla
boost-a-pump ?

Okay to those of you running a kenne bell boost-a-pump with dual fuel pumps which one are you running? Do you really need the dual pump one or will the single pump version work? Any info on a boost-a-pump in general when referring to a dsm or evo would be lovely. Most the info I can find online is about fords. thanks!
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: boost-a-pump ?

I have been running one for almost 2 years on my evoX with no issues. Ditched the dialy knob box and soldered a RCA plug in the end to keep it at 18.5v or whatever is max whenever it's in boost. It's a great way to get more out of the fuel system w/o having to spend money on an aftermarket rail or FPR setup which really just complicates things.

We do have the walbro 400 pump available to us now which was never an option, but if you want to make 450+whp (dyno dynamics) reliably then you gotta start making some decisions and this is an easy one.

I think I remember Shane@DB telling me that the single version is only for old mustangs and stuff with really weak stock pumps. I just bought the one he told me to get. Kai was asking me about mine and every time I just refer people to Shane as it was his idea in the first place and he usually keeps them in stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #3
4seasons69

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I have been running one for almost 2 years on my evoX with no issues. Ditched the dialy knob box and soldered a RCA plug in the end to keep it at 18.5v or whatever is max whenever it's in boost. It's a great way to get more out of the fuel system w/o having to spend money on an aftermarket rail or FPR setup which really just complicates things.

We do have the walbro 400 pump available to us now which was never an option, but if you want to make 450+whp (dyno dynamics) reliably then you gotta start making some decisions and this is an easy one.

I think I remember Shane@DB telling me that the single version is only for old mustangs and stuff with really weak stock pumps. I just bought the one he told me to get. Kai was asking me about mine and every time I just refer people to Shane as it was his idea in the first place and he usually keeps them in stock
Good info! Well my car made 651 on db's dyno. (swiftys old car). I'm running dual for gt pumps. They are walbro 310lph pumps. I'm not sure how much more the car can make on these pumps without one. so I'm thinking its a good option instead of changing pumps plus I like the fact it keeps the pumps at a steady voltage. I'll have to talk to shane
Old 02-06-2013   #4
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Why not run dual walbro 450's? Might be cheaper and more reliable than a double pump BAP. FWIW, I had one of those 310 pumps and it barely outflowed my 255.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #5
CornFed2.4

Drives: You crazy!
Send a message via AIM to CornFed2.4

I have a kenne bell one. Brad had it in his car and then Tom. Worked great. I don't think I'm gonna need it.
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #6
CornFed2.4

Can you even put dual 450s in.There pretty wide compared to the 255 pumps. It was a bitch just getting one to fit a 2G hanger
Old 02-06-2013   #7
4seasons69

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Why not run dual walbro 450's? Might be cheaper and more reliable than a double pump BAP. FWIW, I had one of those 310 pumps and it barely outflowed my 255.
well these pumps came in the car when I got it. They were good enough for 650 at db with 1600cc injectors with out a bap. I'm running 2150s now. The walbro 400lph pumps are about $160 a piece and the walbro 450lph pumps are $220 a piece. so the 450lph pumps wouldn't be much cheaper. I really like the fact that the bap keeps a constant voltage at the pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornFed2.4 View Post
I have a kenne bell one. Brad had it in his car and then Tom. Worked great. I don't think I'm gonna need it.
If you want to sell it let me know. How much would you want for it??
Old 02-06-2013   #8
4seasons69

Quote:
Can you even put dual 450s in.There pretty wide compared to the 255 pumps. It was a bitch just getting one to fit a 2G hanger
Honestly I have no idea. never seen a wally 450. but with the way my sending unit is set up it might be possible depending on how wide they actually are
Old 02-07-2013   #9
CornFed2.4

Ill send ya a pm about the boost a pump in the next few days.
Old 02-07-2013   #10
4seasons69

Hmmm it does look quite a bit wider but it looks like there is more room in a 1g sending unit than a 2g so with my sending unit being a modified stock unit it might be possible

Quote:
Ill send ya a pm about the boost a pump in the next few days.

Sounds good! ps. I still have that clutch tool for you. I haven't dropped it off because the last couple times I've been up there it's either been 3am or snowing when I left. I should be working on the car this weekend so I'll try and drop it off saturday
Old 02-07-2013   #11
CornFed2.4

No worries.
Old 02-07-2013   #12
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Yea 1g has a ton more room to work with, you could fit them both.

If you do go with a BAP, make sure you get the dual version. Per KB's site, only the single version is adjustable, the dual version is fixed at max voltage when triggered.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #13
CornFed2.4

Stole this from tuners but sounds like he likes it. He's got a 1G and is buddy's with ostar.

I replaced the hanger in the drivers side of the tank that holds the other fuel level sensor with an additional fuel pump hanger so there is a pump in each side of the "saddle" style tank. From there, I simply did each hanger like you would a single pump.....welded -6 bungs in each hanger so I have two -6 feed lines that Y to a -8 up to the inline -8 filter, rail, afpr, and a -6 return that Y's back to each hanger so each side is fed and returned equally. Also, this eliminates the silly factory siphon system. Both pumps are hardwired individuallly with relays. Aside from welding the feed and return bungs to the fuel hangers, this is pretty much a straight drop in solution. Honestly you could do this with even the FACTORY connections with some simple adapter fittings and Y's. Why nobody else has done this yet is completely beyond me. It was super easy and really is almost an OEM feel.
Old 02-07-2013   #14
4seasons69

Not sure I'm completely following what he did. Its late lol. Here's a pic of my hanger. So if I don't do the bap dual 450s or maybe even cut the difference between the 450s and 310s and do the walbro 400 since it's quite a bit cheaper than the 450. Idk lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-15_18-45-47_121.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	540.9 KB
ID:	13317   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-16_14-41-13_973.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	490.9 KB
ID:	13318  
Old 02-07-2013   #15
4seasons69

I guess one of the main reasons I was considering the bap over different pumps was last time the car was on the dyno I was having a big voltage drop that was causing a large drop in fuel pressure. what should be mainly do to a dying alternator. Shane gave me a list of things to do to help prevent voltage drop to the pumps. Which I should have taken care of that list. I guess the idea of the bap was for a little added security in preventing any type of voltage drop to the pumps
Old 02-07-2013   #16
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

If you ask me the major issue you will have in your setup is the turbo.

Its well known in DSM land that a 4294 will be good for around 40psi, anything over that and its a dead end.

This is where the 4202 shines, before ~38psi they are about the same. But the 4202 will keep making power above the 40+psi mark.

I would monitor fuel pressure and see how bad its dropping as you up the boost. Then if you need more fuel pressure a pair of Walbro 400lph pumps would be my choice over a BAP.

~John
Old 02-07-2013   #17
4seasons69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 View Post
If you ask me the major issue you will have in your setup is the turbo.

Its well known in DSM land that a 4294 will be good for around 40psi, anything over that and its a dead end.

This is where the 4202 shines, before ~38psi they are about the same. But the 4202 will keep making power above the 40+psi mark.

I would monitor fuel pressure and see how bad its dropping as you up the boost. Then if you need more fuel pressure a pair of Walbro 400lph pumps would be my choice over a BAP.

~John
Okay this is more really good info. If I can swing it I was thinking about going to one of fp's HTA4294 or hta4205 is what they call it. Otherwise I have a decent deal lined up on a 4202