MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-24-2006   #1
chengsta

Drives: '93 mirage es - evoIII
Injector plug problem

Sorry ahead of time if this sounds kind of confusing, I tried my best to explain it in detail.

I was 2/3 way to work and upon coming to a stop light my car started to stutter & giving it gas the car would sound like it was misfing. Shortly after that the " Service Engine Soon " light came on. Once I got to work I checked both the spark plugs(NGK BPR7ES) & plug wires(NGK) but found nothing wrong with them. The spark plug & wires were replaced about 3months ago. I then had my brother-in-law look at it and he said it could be a bad injector so I swapped different injectors and still had the same problem with it sounding like it was misfiring. We then tested the injector plugs and found out the injector plug going to cylinder 1's injector wasn't getting any power. He then said I would need to follow the 2 wires from the bad injector plug all the way to the ECU to see if one of the wire is bad somewhere.

My question is has anyone had or faced this problem before. Its got me stumpted. I've never seen this happen before and dont know what else to check. I'm hoping its nothing major that needs me to replace the ECU. The loan and insurance on the car is killer enough for me ^^

My car & mods:
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T SPYDER
hard intake
3in catback exhaust
hard upper and lower intercooler piping w/ greddy type s BOV
air/fuel & boost gauge
chengsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #2
chengsta

Re: Injector plug problem

According to my Chilton book it shows that I have an "ignition suppression resistor" but where is that located. I wanna find it because it could be the source of my car's misfiring and bad injector plug. If I could get any slight clue as to the where abouts of it that would be great.
Old 05-25-2006   #3
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle

We had that problem on a 1g. The way we fixed it was hacked but it worked. Just splice into the injector on the same stroke. Essentially you are running 2 injectors off one wire. I'm not sure of the downsides, but it fixed the problem. 1 and 4 are inline and 2 and 3 are inline.
Old 05-25-2006   #4
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta
According to my Chilton book it shows that I have an "ignition suppression resistor" but where is that located. I wanna find it because it could be the source of my car's misfiring and bad injector plug. If I could get any slight clue as to the where abouts of it that would be great.
They might be talking about the power transistor unit. It's close to the coil pack, behind the timing belt on a 6 bolt motor. I'm not sure about a 7 bolt. It's mounted to the motor and has a plug that goes into it but the actual resistor doesnt plug into anything. It just bolts to the motor. THAT IS ONLY IF IT's THE PEICE IM THINKING.
Old 05-26-2006   #5
chengsta

Alright thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out again this weekend.
Old 05-30-2006   #6
LightningGSX
Hellbound

You have a resistor pack on the firewall.It takes a single power and splits off into four outputs, each going to the power side of the injectors.I wouldn't consider it an "ignition suppression resistor" though.
Old 06-01-2006   #7
chengsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningGSX
You have a resistor pack on the firewall.It takes a single power and splits off into four outputs, each going to the power side of the injectors.I wouldn't consider it an "ignition suppression resistor" though.
Yeah I wasn't sure on the name because my Chilton repair manual diagram called it an "ignition suppression resistor," but thanks for clearifying it for me.