MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 03-16-2011   #1
blackrosenova400

Failing a college class...

I need some help or advice on my wifes situation. Shes been attending Rasmussen college for 3 years. Last year she dropped out of her classes because we were getting married and had too much load in her life to focus on her classes.

As of now she has been taking one of the classes that she dropped, which is very hard, and has failed it. Now the college is telling her she can not take it again because she has failed it twice, once for dropping it once once for actually failing it. Now it appears her three years and expensive tuition is wasted because they wont allow her to take it again, and it is a required class.

Anybody have any insite or advice in this situation?
Old 03-16-2011   #2
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi
Re: Failing a college class...

I would talk to a advisor and see what they can do for you. I don't see why you couldn't take it again. I mean you are paying for it.

If they don't let her take it, is there maybe an alternative class she could take?

Maybe she has to retake a different class before taking that class again?

Last edited by tehehodi; 03-16-2011 at 01:34 PM..
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #3
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Wat? where does she go to school? I've never heard of such a thing, but I've only gone to one school (currently at St. Cloud State)

If they are getting their money I don't see why they would deny her taking the class again? seems stupid.

edit: nvm, I saw Rasmussen now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #4
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

I don't see how they can deny her access to a required class. She needs to speak to an advisor.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #5
blackrosenova400

Wow so many replies so quickly, thanks guys. It is really hard for me to see her like this, she has worked very hard only to be told all her efforts are worthless becaue she has failed a very hard class.

If by speak to an advisor, she has spoken to a counsler who has told her all of this. I think she may try to talk to the dean. This just all sounds silly like you guys say, if shes paying she should be able to take the class.

And it is a required course for her major, not an elective.
Old 03-16-2011   #6
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Yes, it doesn't make sense that this is her major and they are denying her access to a required class.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #7
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing

I went to Rasmussen and when I failed a class the first time they put me on "academic probation". Which meant if I didn't meet their GPA requirement's for that class the second time I would have to take a "leave" of either 6 months or 1 year. I forgot. I think it was 6 months. She should definitely be able to retake that class; especially if she dropped those classes rather than fail them.
Old 03-16-2011   #8
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

How many credits does she have? I assume this is toward a 4yr degree. If worst comes to worst, Rasmussen appears to be accredited so the credits could be transferred to another school. A lot of schools are generous with transfer credit. One perk of transferring is that your GPA resets and flunked courses drop off the transcript.

I personally didn't finish my masters in the allowed time so I can empathize with feeling that a lot of time was wasted. In this case, there are probably a lot of options.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #9
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

how bad of a credit hit would she take if she transfered schools?
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #10
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
How many credits does she have? I assume this is toward a 4yr degree. If worst comes to worst, Rasmussen appears to be accredited so the credits could be transferred to another school. A lot of schools are generous with transfer credit. One perk of transferring is that your GPA resets and flunked courses drop off the transcript.

I personally didn't finish my masters in the allowed time so I can empathize with feeling that a lot of time was wasted. In this case, there are probably a lot of options.
That's where Rasmussen gets you. I was told my credits would transfer to any state university too. But when I tried to transfer them to MSU, damn near none of them were good there. So I am actually redoing 16 credits I have already paid for and earned. So just be careful of that.

I am now finishing my degree through University of Phoenix. MUCH better than Rasmussen and their staff is ten folds better too. Again, my credits from University of Phoenix won't really transfer either, but they don't keep you in the dark and feed you shit like Rasmussen did to me when I went there.
Old 03-16-2011   #11
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style

Heck yeah, no way a school should be able to do or CAN do that! Not even a private college! What they are pretty much saying is. . . . we wont give you your diploma. Unless you go for a whole nother 4 years or what ever she was going for. That does not make any sense. Advisor or straight principal of the school. I dealt with a similar situation it was resolved very rapidly once higher ups were addressed. It will maybe take time and effort but it will be worth it.
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #12
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
my credits from University of Phoenix won't really transfer either
Depends on the school that you are trying to transfer into. They all want your money, regardless of what they say...it is a business.

I transferred 18 months of UoP credits to the school that I graduated from. I ended up graduating from Excelsior College, which is a bit of a DIY college. It's definitely not for most people. 100% credit transfer though. Proceeded to enroll in grad school with that degree without an issue. There are tons of cool degrees for IT people these days...I had to be a business major.

I guess what I'm saying is that the education game really is a game and I'm good at puzzling out and playing that kind of game. Shop the credits around if you really want to transfer out...take the school that gives you the best deal. haha.

Old 03-16-2011   #13
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha D View Post
Advisor or straight principal of the school.
Its called a Dean, not a principal, we are talking college not high school. lol just giving you shit.

Anyways, first have her talk to the head of the Department that the class is part of. (sometimes this is the teacher) have her explain the situation where she dropped the class due to too much life stress and was having trouble keeping everything in line. And failed the second time due to extenuating circumstances. You basically need someone that can vouch for her that is higher than a counselor. you may need to fill out some paperwork and get it signed by the department head, then go to the deans office with it to get approval to retake the class. Be methodical and go through the levels and you will have better success than going directly to the dean.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #14
blackrosenova400

HI guys, Thanks for all the info. This is said wife!
Wanted to fill you in on a couple things.
I am attending for my Assoicates Degree 96 credits for Medical Administration Full Time/Part Time 3 courses a quarter. I was set to graduate in June. One quarter left. No luck on anything yet. Waiting for call back from the Director whom I have left 3 messages for and finally was told he left early, after various attempts to contact him. Talked to councelor who told me my only option was to start over with a different Major that did not require that class.
Have looked at other Colleges IE: Minnesota School Of Business and Hennepin Tech both a little bit different not sure if credits will transfer.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 03-17-2011   #15
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Wow, this kinda scares me now, my wife is supposed to start at Rasmussen St. Cloud nest month also for same exact thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #16
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Wow, this kinda scares me now, my wife is supposed to start at Rasmussen St. Cloud nest month also for same exact thing.
Most schools have a policy that you have to withdraw from a course by a certain date or it gets counted as a zero. Based on the original post, I think she just didn't understand the implications of dropping her course when she did.

I can relate to burn-out...she probably just didn't care at the time.

Old 03-17-2011   #17
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

You can also check to see if the school has a petition process. This process usually gets reviewed by the school board to determine if she can retake the class.
x-pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #18
Perkul8r

Drives: 91 GVR4

My gf was taking classes through that colleges branch here in Bismarck. She had to take a semester off due to our sons cancer situation and when she went back to do her classes they just dropped her. I cant remember their exact reason. But she would have had to start all over again. I was kinda pissed.
Old 03-17-2011   #19
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ

Got any names of who she has talked to? My co-worker is good friends with someone high up @ Rasmussen (might even be the dean if I recall), and I could run the name by him as well as the situation.
Old 03-17-2011   #20
blackrosenova400

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
Got any names of who she has talked to? My co-worker is good friends with someone high up @ Rasmussen (might even be the dean if I recall), and I could run the name by him as well as the situation.

Which Rasmussen?