Sweet, I will check into that!
It really comes from a whale? Wiiiierd.
Tauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #22
unreal808
Mr. Me Too

Drives: Suzuki GSXR
Talking Re: Worried about my car...

Years ago, sperm whale oil and its derivatives were used not much anymore, I think Honda has it in there power steering systems still. I would not flush the system, I would change the filter put in some LubeGard top the tranny off with stock ATF.

Last edited by unreal808; 10-13-2005 at 06:14 PM..
unreal808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #23
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3
Re: Worried about my car...

Hmm, Ok, I will look into that as well, haha.
Old 10-13-2005   #24
unreal808
Mr. Me Too

Now if you and a brand new or rebuilt transmission, Than I would do a shift kit of some kind, run some Ford F type ATF and see if some improved clutch packs are available. But even changing the fluid on an older neglected automatic could kill the thing, (and Im sure you have Heard this by now) over time varnish and dirt build up by the shift valves, than when you change the fluid with new ATF you have all new detergents that clean the build up off then the valve so thay cant control the fluid, hence poor shifting if at all. But you have a problem starting so what the hell, try something.

Last edited by unreal808; 10-13-2005 at 10:03 PM..
unreal808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #25
Tauni
Mazda-ing

If I could afford all that, hell yah. Buuuut, Since I can't, I am going to have to sell it if the tranny is about to take a shit.
Old 10-13-2005   #26
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Alright, lets think about this for a second. Say for some reason, the tranny is effed and my dumb ass is to attached to sell the POS... Ok? How much harder would it be to ditch my current tranny [take it out, sell it, ya know] and get a manual tranny. I've been told that kind of swap would be very difficult but possible. Opinions, comments, suggestions?
Old 10-13-2005   #27
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tALoNGiRL118
Alright, lets think about this for a second. Say for some reason, the tranny is effed and my dumb ass is to attached to sell the POS... Ok? How much harder would it be to ditch my current tranny [take it out, sell it, ya know] and get a manual tranny. I've been told that kind of swap would be very difficult but possible. Opinions, comments, suggestions?
Sounds like a big waste of money to me. But yes it is possible. I would look into a whole different car if you really want a manual, then you might as well go turbo.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005   #28
unreal808
Mr. Me Too

I would have to agree with tim. If the transmission goes south on ya ,get a junkyard unit installed than sell it. A used trans installed around $1200 convert to a stick $400 used trans, $250 clutch, you need a flywheel, pedal ASSY, cables, master and slave cylinder, shifter ASSY plus labor. :-(
Old 10-13-2005   #29
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Alright, well tomorrow I am heading over to Kennedy Tans. to have them look at it and such. If indeed they tell me its fucked, well then a Glorified Neon will be up for sale. I see your point on the fact that it would be a waste of money. Anyways, wish me luck tomorrow. This could very well determine the rest of the Glorified's life!
Old 10-14-2005   #30
Outlaw1
Resident Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlizzard
Yes. Not very long, you just need the fittings and the cooler. And if it were me I would upgrade the lines as well.
RK has a 5-speed.

10.48 @ 136.86 w/1.65 60'
Outlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005   #31
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Talk about a shitty day. I took the damn car into Kennedy and the guy pretty much laid it out for me. He's going to drive it again Tuesday early morning while the piece of shit is still cold, but he says the thing is pretty much effed up. So it's for sale now. And I'm sad.
Old 10-14-2005   #32
Kougar

Drives: 06 RSX
Send a message via MSN to Kougar

Sad over a gourmet neon? Nonsense! You should be happy since you can upgrade now! :-D

I don't expect you to actually be happy, but there's some good in everything eh? Sucks for your loss nonetheless.
Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005   #33
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Yes I'm sad about my GLORIFIED. We will just have to see what I end up with next spring?!
Old 10-15-2005   #34
Addicted2DSM

Send a message via AIM to Addicted2DSM Send a message via MSN to Addicted2DSM Send a message via Yahoo to Addicted2DSM

go AWD Turbo and name it underrated Evo

"What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You Stronger"
Addicted2DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #35
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Change the fluid and filter, use stock tranny fluid. Three out of four times I've done this on older autos, it's fixed the problem. If you can do it yourself, you're only out $100 if the tranny is for sure bad.

I wouldn't always trust what a tranny shop says, just think about what keeps their shop open and the guys paid. Bring in a car to the same shop with a known good tranny and see if they give you the same diagnosis.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #36
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower
Change the fluid and filter, use stock tranny fluid. Three out of four times I've done this on older autos, it's fixed the problem. If you can do it yourself, you're only out $100 if the tranny is for sure bad.

I wouldn't always trust what a tranny shop says, just think about what keeps their shop open and the guys paid. Bring in a car to the same shop with a known good tranny and see if they give you the same diagnosis.
I definitely agree with both of your statements but a tranny shop is not going to tell you to have them do a flush and then have you come back bitching when it didn't do anything to fix it. Even though they have a business to run any reputable shop will not tell you something that will hurt their reputation.

I agree with the fluid and filter change; if it doesn't fix it then you are only out a little cash.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005   #37
Tauni
Mazda-ing

The car is effed, I found more shit wrong with it. I'm just going to fix the cheap shit and sell the POS as is. Fuck it.
Old 10-16-2005   #38
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I was thinking of a Jiffy Screw or doing it yourself. I'd never have a tranny shop do a simple fluid and filter change.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
I definitely agree with both of your statements but a tranny shop is not going to tell you to have them do a flush and then have you come back bitching when it didn't do anything to fix it. Even though they have a business to run any reputable shop will not tell you something that will hurt their reputation.

I agree with the fluid and filter change; if it doesn't fix it then you are only out a little cash.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #39
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Update:

I was getting ready to do an oil change and I decided to check out the spark plugs. Right away I noticed the whole area around them was drenched in oil. So I started pulling out plugs and every single one looked great except the very last one on the drivers side. At first I was confused because I didn't see anything down there. I knew it had to be there, though, because the car was not misfiring at all. So I look at it with a flash light and notice that its completely barried by oil. I notice that the boot is drenched as well. So I had the valve cover gasket replaced and this weekend I am replaced that spark plug and spark plug wire. Then everything should be good to go, other than the tranny issues.

Oh yah. About that. I took the car back to the tranny shop as I had said I was going to do and he said he thought it had something to do with a thing called [and I doubt I will spell this right, but..] a Prindel Switch. I'd never heard of it before and neither had my boyfriend. So he started looking for it on the computer's at work, seeing if it might be in the warehouse, and I started looking around on line to find out what it was, what it did, etc. Neither of us found anything that even came close. So I was wondering if any one has heard of it.
Old 10-22-2005   #40
93sc

Send a message via ICQ to 93sc

P R N D L In an electronically controlled tranny if that switch or sensor goes bad your tranny can be trying to switch gears or not know what gear it's supposed to be in which leads to some very strange tranny behavior. At least thats the way it is with birds, and I have no idea how the trannys work in DSM's.

Last edited by 93sc; 10-22-2005 at 03:44 PM..
93sc is offline   Reply With Quote