MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-24-2008   #21
eweppler

Drives: 92 Talon TSI AWD, 07 Honda Civic EX
Re: Engine Problems!!! Need Help!!!

I would do this but the only problem is there is no one around my area.
eweppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #22
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

Read Read Read Read and this will help you. There is alot for you to learn. There are tons of posts on here with very good information that will help you. It sounds like a head gasket to me. You never answered the question to if the coolant boils/bubbles at idle once its warm or whenever.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #23
eweppler

well here is the deal it hasnt overheated in a while and then the other day i noticed there was a hose stuck in the radiator fan. And yes it was boiling/bubbleing.
Old 11-25-2008   #24
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

boiling/bubbling CAN be a symptom of a blown headgasket, however, it is more likely that everything is just fine.

Turn your car on and let it idle.

Watch the temp and make sure that the fan actually turns on, if so then awesome.

Over time if you lose coolant, or if the car bubbles during idle, your headgasket may be defective.
Old 03-06-2009   #25
eweppler

Ok still waiting for my exhaust manifold to get here but i decided to check my CEL that is on all the time after a few seconds of running. I pulled up many error codes on it. The ones i caught for sure was 13, 25, and 14; there were other error codes as well but i was unable to have enough time today to sit there and figure it out. Could this possibly mean that the ECU is shot? I do have another ECU but its an eprom and i know its set up for a manual and mine is an automatic. Would it be bad if i hooked up the eprom one and started my talon?
Old 03-06-2009   #26
brando

Drives: gutlass
Send a message via AIM to brando Send a message via MSN to brando Send a message via Yahoo to brando

it wont hurt it and i do belive you will be able to drive it because your tranny has its own control unit but your ecu is not the problem. you have to start finding out what the codes are and fix them. if they go awau then you know that that is the problem, and sometimes one code can be causing another code so just look into it deeper.
brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #27
eweppler

Ok i have gotten the car to stop stalling it happened to be the BISS screw, I got a new one and put it in and the stalling has stopped. But im still having issues with an unstable idle and acceleration hesitation. I checked the CEL codes and i am coming up with codes; 13 (Air Intake Temp Sensor), 14 (Throttle Position Sensor), 21 (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor), 25 (Barometric Pressure Sensor), and 31 which i do not know yet.

I have tested the Air Intake Temp Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor and they test out fine, I have also replaced the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor about a yr ago. Could this mean that i either have a bad engine wiring harness or a faulty ECU? I check the ECU for leaky caps and i didnt notice anything.

I have another ECU but it is an Eprom and it is set up for a bigger turbo and bigger injectors it is not set up for a manual but an automatic i just realized. would it work to just try the other ECU to see if it brings up any codes. Or would it be bad to try it since its set up for a bigger turbo and injectors?
Old 02-08-2010   #28
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

if the eprom chip is for larger injectors then it wont work (but i might have a stock chip for a manual if you want) just open up the old ecu to take a look at the caps. let me know about that chip
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #29
eweppler

well mine is an automatic and i heard that the turbo and injectors on an auto is smaller than on a manual. Is this correct?
Old 02-16-2010   #30
eweppler

Today I was back under the hood again and I decided that I would check the spark plug wires just to make sure they were good. I measured the resistance of my spark plug wires and these were my results; #1 - 4.75 k ohms, #2 - 6.7 k ohms, #3 - 7.4 k ohms, and #4 - 8.55 k ohms. I looked in my service manual and it says that I should be getting these results; #1 - 5.8 k ohms, #2 - 8.4 k ohms, #3 - 10.6 k ohms, and #4 - 9.7 k ohms. So I believe that this is why I am not being able to start my car at times like right now.
Old 02-16-2010   #31
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

To run the 5speed ecu you will need the 450cc injectors.
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #32
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I did a manual ecu swap on an auto before. I installed 450cc injectors and a 14b as well. The car worked fine then.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #33
eweppler

Last night I checked my timing and it was right on and I also tested my coil and it was good. Then I decided to mess with my plug wires a little bit and after that tried starting the car and it fired right up so I believe my plug wires are part of the problem.
Old 02-20-2010   #34
eweppler

Well I tried starting my talon again today and it will not start up again today. Tomorrow I am going to look at the connector and take the coolant sensor out and test it in hot water. Hopefully that is the problem.
Old 02-21-2010   #35
eweppler

Tomorrow I'm going to check the fuel pump, fuel pressure solenoid, and the pressure regulator. What would be the best way to go about testing these? I am also going to get out my soldering iron and redo my connector for my engine coolant sensor.
Old 02-21-2010   #36
96GST16g
livin the dream

Drives: 07 zx6r and 04 Rx8

u dont need the fuel solenoid u can take the vacuum line that goes to it and hook it up to your intake mani vacuum port... it might start a bit hard after that... atleast that is what i have ben told..
Old 02-21-2010   #37
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR

If the coolant temp sensor is not connected to the ecu or is bad... the ecu assumes its fully warmed up by default... Good luck starting it below 45F. Thats one code that needs to be addressed if you want to drive it in the winter.
Old 02-21-2010   #38
eweppler

I had my heater running in my garage today for a few hours and then I was finally able to start my talon up. So that makes me believe that I do need to redo my connector to my coolant temp sensor, also I must not have tightened up the TPS well enough. I could hear air coming from it while the car was running. Right now I am headed out to the garage with a soldering iron to inspect my connectors and fix the ones that need to be fixed.
Old 02-21-2010   #39
eweppler

Tonight i was able to redo the connector to my coolant temp sensor and it was able to start up now but you can here a big air leak at around the throttle body area and also when you have the key turned on you can hear ticking coming from the engine bay and I notice that it is from the ISC because when I unplug it the ticking stops. Does this mean that my ISC is bad? Also would a bad TPS let air out of it because i think that is where the air is coming from.
Old 02-22-2010   #40
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR

air leaks will make starting it that much harder cause it will be even more lean, If you can hear the leak while the engine is running its a pretty bad leak...