MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-03-2006   #21
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Re: Proof of larger DP/ Fluid Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst95eclipse
I think you're wrong on both ends here. From what I can see, there are about a half of a dozen (at least) running GT35+ series or SCM61 in this forum.

I wouldn't know why a turbo wouldn't be a restriction.
1. Generally the pressure in the exhaust side is about double of what is in the compressed side.
2. The combustion chamber divides the intake and exhaust tracts. More pressure is caused by the explosion (expansion).
3. The turbines are spinning, but they're creating some backpressure. Which is why after the turbo, the best exhaust system is no exhaust system.
I'll answer yours and Jakey's response since it's the same answer.

You're both forgetting that the turbo is a restriction to the exhaust pulses, and if the compressor side of the turbo didn't feed back into the intake as a feedback loop, you'd have a plain old restriction. It's a little different that the turbo creates positive pressure going into the combustion chamber, therefore creates higher cylinder pressures. The more pressure the turbo makes, the more of a "restriction" the turbine side of the turbo is. I just can't justify calling it a restriction though since the turbo itself creates more cylinder pressure and exhaust pressure than a NA engine would. I guess it's all semantics and maybe the engineering world would disagree. But I don't see something that adds more than it takes away to technically be a restriction overall.

And please, a GT35 or SCM61? Neither are capable of much more than 600 whp, and besides Shane and Cher, I haven't seen anyone here over that amount anyways. Just because half a dozen people have those turbos, doesn't mean they're all maxing out their 3" exhaust. You're looking for people at that power range or higher who have also done back to back comparisons with either timeslips or by measuring exhaust backpressure after changing exhausts. Do you really think you're going to get multiple good answers here?
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006   #22
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD

Think velocity. For one thing you would need a smooth transition to maximize gains. For another, you are allowing the gases to expand to fill a 4" diameter pipe and then "compressing" them back down into a 3" pipe. Regardless of how you look at it that will take energy, and I think you would agree that it would be a waste of energy. So, you MAY see gains from an ass-backwards setup like that, but they will be very inefficient gains.

I actually had a 2.5" downpipe on the stock catback. This setup was basically to keep the car quiet on the street. The catback was to be removed at the track. Did I see gains over running the stock DP? Well, yes. Not significant gains though, where I would say "this is a decent upgrade for poor kids like me" and probably due in part to the amount of exhaust leaking where they met. If you think you need that size piping, then run it all the way back.

So from my theory based perspective and my real world experience, I think you should just get a whistle tip. They go woo woo.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #23
rst95eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower
But I don't see something that adds more than it takes away to technically be a restriction overall.

Just because half a dozen people have those turbos, doesn't mean they're all maxing out their 3" exhaust. You're looking for people at that power range or higher who have also done back to back comparisons with either timeslips or by measuring exhaust backpressure after changing exhausts. Do you really think you're going to get multiple good answers here?
Technically it just keep exponentically expanding pressures across the board. You say pot-a-to, I say po-tat-to. I believe it is a restriction, because if you measure pressures before and after the turbine, there is a difference, no matter what's going on in the intake tract.

True it would take a helleva lot of power to max out a 3" exhaust. I'm not trying to see huge gains. Just gains or not. I'm questioning if it helps on spool time. I really don't need multiple good answers. Just one, since I understand that not many have a 4" DP. I know of 2. I'm not really willing to ask these people, since I really don't like them.
rst95eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote