MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 02-20-2006   #1
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Ticking from 700 to 3k RPM

Ok, I know there are lot of posts about lifter tick and other ticking sounds, but I'm not sure if that's what is happening to my car. A few months ago my 96 AWD talon starting ticking a lot louder than it had previously. Sounds like it's coming from the engine or right around it. I hadn't done anything performance based since last March (put on 3" exhaust, FMIC, and FP Big 28 turbo, 650 injectors, S-AFC, 2100 clutch). The timing belt and a few other maintenance things were done in December 05 at 85k miles. The car now has 105k miles. I checked the crank walk a year ago too, and it was almost zero. The only real problem I've had with the car so far was the ECU output to the fuel pump stopped working when I was doing the upgrades last march and I had to hook the fuel pump up to a power source that is on when the ignition is on.

Anyway, when I am in neutral at a stop light or something, it'll just start ticking fairly loud. Then, it'll randomly stop after 5-15 seconds or so, then start back again. I've also noticed recently that while accelerating slowly in first (5-10% throttle) up to about 3k RPM, I can barely hear it then too (hard to hear because of loud exhaust. can't hear it in any other gear because of the noise, or maybe it just doesn't do it in other gears). It's getting to be pretty annoying.

I can seem to make it do this ticking by using 1-3% throttle in neutral, getting the RPMs up to like 1000-1200 or so, then letting off completely. The engine goes back to idle and always starts ticking. And again, after a 5-15 seconds, it stops. Also, if it's ticking like this and I give it 1-3% throttle again, it stops until I let off the gas.

The frequency between the ticks does not seem to change ever, no matter if I am stopped and idling or if I am accelerating with low throttle under 3k RPM in first gear.

Any ideas?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #2
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Ticking from 700 to 3k RPM

My old GST did this also. It would sometimes tick, sounded like bad lifter tick to me because the ticking would speed up and down with the RPM's. And then sometimes it'd just go away. But it was there more often then not. I fixed it for about a year with the MCCC cleaning. It did come back about a year later though.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #3
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Get the upgraded 99 lifters and be done with it. Get a hold of Chris at Brookdale Mitsu to order them.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #4
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

So the lifters are to blame after all? And the ones from a 99 will fix the problem? Also, is the ticking an issue where something may break, or just an annoyance?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #5
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I thought you upgrade to the 3g lifters? I know the 2g ones are better than the 1g ones, but I heard the 3g ones were even better from mike when he was at QPR.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #6
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought when the said 3g lifters, they were reffering to the 3rd generation of LIFTERS redesigned for the cars, not the lifters from a 3G eclipse.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #7
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju-on
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought when the said 3g lifters, they were reffering to the 3rd generation of LIFTERS redesigned for the cars, not the lifters from a 3G eclipse.
That's how I've understood it as well, and the 3G lifters became available in '99. Maybe we're all wrong?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #8
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Yes 3rd generation lifters, not from a 3rd generation Eclipse. There have been many revision of lifters over the years I think. The latest part number I could find for 3rd generation lifters was MD377054. If you get them don't be alarmed, but they will be a bit taller than your stock ones most likely but they will work just fine.

You can clean them but you are just delaying the inevitable, since the overall design of the lifter is flawed. The new still ones have a larger oiling hole as well as a few other characteristics.

Good luck.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #9
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I never knew they were changed so I thought he meant 3g ones as in the 3g car. Thanks for the clarification.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006   #10
joesushi
Smells Like Fish

Drives: 96GSX
Send a message via AIM to joesushi

lol, i always made that assumption too.....so.... now there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to value a 3rd generation eclipse? I'm having a head put together, stock everything asides from stage 2 crower cams. It sounds like these 3rd generation lifters are worth the investment.

Last edited by joesushi; 03-21-2006 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: adding constructive information
joesushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #11
Berda

Send a message via AIM to Berda

What does a complete set of 3rd gen lifters go for?