Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2016   #11
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Random update. It's not going to happen right away, but I'm slowly starting to gather parts for a built bottom end. Not that I need it, but with this engine being higher mile, it does have a few leaks, including the rear main which I can tell now that the trans is off. I'm going to let this motor buck for awhile yet, but eventually it could benefit from a refresh. And while I'm at it, figure might as well throw some upgraded internals at it. I've been talking with Tony at Real St. and came up with a setup I think I'll be very happy with.
- Manley H-Tuff Rods / ARP2000 bolts
- Manley Pistons (86.5mm, come in 9:1 or 10:1)
- ACL Race Bearings
- ARP Main Studs / OEM Main Caps

Chose these parts after MUCH consideration. These rods are very affordable, yet you can tell they are much beefier than other 'budget' rods. I'm confident they will hold well into the 4 figures. Then just going with the matching Manley pistons just made sense to me, especially considering their price and their different CR options. This overall setup should keep my very safe up to around 1000hp we feel. In the extremely rare event I want to go beyond that, the hardware I selected should be plenty up to the task, however I'd probably add billet main caps. But being that I don't ever see myself going beyond (or even reaching) 1000, it just didn't make sense to do right now since billet mains are atleast $1k+ adder to the motor build.

The only thing I'm up in the air about is the pistons, to get the 9:1 or 10:1. 10:1 seems like the no brainer option, except once you realise that CR number is based on a 2JZGTE (TT) setup. Being that I'm a 2JZGE (NA) block, GE head, GE headgasket, my quick calcs put me around 11.2:1 with those which is a bit higher than I'd like, but potentially do-able since I only run e85. The 9:1 pistons would put me around 9.9:1 which sounds excellent. However if I ever end up at a point where I feel I need to run say a thicker GTE headgasket, that'll drop me down to the low 9's on those which is lower than I'd prefer, or in the low 10's with the "10:1" pistons which is ideal. So I'm kind of up in the air right now on that single choice, but I'm leaning towards the "9:1" set.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote