Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2008   #1
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson
Coolant explosion

I took the 95 GSX out for a spin tonight after everything seemed to be working great. I just recently installed a different 2g motor because the old one took a crap. No overheating issues or anything, wasn't pushing coolant, but I only boosted to 10psi or so because it has a stock t25, and only got up to about 4k rpms, taking it easy on the first drive.

Anyway I get back and everything seems fine, then I rev the engine up to 6k or so a few times, and a minute later I notice a TON of coolant running out the back of the car. I shut it off and notice a ton of coolant dripping off the transmission, and little pools on the top of the tranny. Probably a total of around 30 ounces lost.

I turn the car back on after the dripping stopped so I could see where it was coming from, but no more drips. Could a blown headgasket push that much coolant in under a minute and then stop? Or any other sort of leak push that much and stop? Also I know it wasn't completely out of coolant because the car still had normal water temps, overflow tank still half full.

Any ideas? On Saturday I'll try duplicating the scenario with someone watching the engine bay.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote