MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 11-04-2014   #1
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion
1994 2000GT

I just bought a 1994 3000GT SL in white(My first 3/s). Looks amazing and OMG everybody wants to race me. flattered/annoyed.

The engine leaks all fluids quickly and the transmission grinds in every gear(clutch is not dragging).

Option A: Stock rebuild/repair with future plans of limited slip front diff and a 6G74/6g75
Option B: Beg/buy/steal all stock 3000gtVR4 components and be underwhelmed by the lack of durability transmissions/transfer cases.
Option C: AWD DSM swap.

now before you read any further please research "The red green show" on the google and you will get a good idea about the liberal use of duct tape that will be needed for this project.

Calling this a "Low budget project" is misleading because it implies that there is any available money for this in the first place. We're not even using name brand duct tape.

Short of anyone volunteering affordable replacement parts to me I am limited to what I have in my garage: one complete 6/4 dsm.

Issues/questions

1: DSM driveshaft will probably have to be shortened/lengthened. How is the best way to do this.

2: The width of the 1G DSM and the 3000GT are slightly different by about 1-3 inches determined by the highly accurate measuring technique of a stick being pressed against the inside of the right tire and pressing my hand against the inside of the left tire to measure the slack. I assume people can shorten or lengthen axles and or use VR4 axles, this leads to the next question about do I just buy some metal tubes and have them welded back together? I assume proven force has the ability to do this....but I am curious/complacent/capable/welderly/and I know just enough to get myself into trouble when it comes to working on cars.

3: Hood clearance. The number one thing I hate is having to cut the stock hood, when MAP did the FDSM I was pissed that they clearenced the hood to make way for the turbo and not the other way around. In order to avoid cutting the hood I will try to move the new 4g6x motor as far downward as possible. I assume with custom/3Mwindowweld motor mounts I can drop the motor a couple inches. Since nothing is sacred anymore how about grabbing some cam gears off of an integra and driveshaft sprocket and smaller timing belt.

4. 3kVR4 and DSM rear suspension components are almost identical so the rear of the car is pretty set. I might just go with hub spacers to make up the difference. Now the front of the car might be tricky in connecting the wheel hubs with the DSM axles.

ill check the forum often but suggestions are always welcome emailed to my username @gmail.com

P.S. TKR - you rock, after seeing some the motor swaps you have done I'm 100% sure I will be able to meet or exceed your quality standards with this project.(not attempting to insult)

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	587.4 KB
ID:	14799  

Last edited by iceminion; 11-04-2014 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: added pic
iceminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #2
gsxvince
the dsm mechanic!

Drives: 1991 talon tsi 1ga
Re: 1994 2000GT

Theres a 3000gt with twin turbo at hans auto in biglake/zimmerman mn
gsxvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #3
iceminion

One of my Ex's lives in Zimmerman and I'm prettysure her parents have a shoot-to-kill order if I get near her.
Old 11-04-2014   #4
b00sted_spyder

Drives: 97 Eclipse GST spyder(Project car), 95 Corolla(DD), 91 MR2 turbo(Fun car)

For #1, if you need to shorten or lengthen a drive shaft, it will need to be balanced afterwards. You definitely cannot do this at home unless you have a tube press and fixtures.
b00sted_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #5
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I didn't read your thread carefully, but there is someone with a 2G AWD auto setup in his 3S.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #6
iceminion

So the propeller shaft must spin 3.545 times faster then the axles
Old 11-06-2014   #7
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Cam gears will need to be stock size, the cam needs to spin 1/2 as fast as the crank, so smaller cam gears are out of the question unless you change the crank gear/cog as well.