MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-07-2006   #1
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Studs on fuel pump cover

So I am installing a new fuel pump

I got the line off with no problem (everyone said that would be the hard part) however those little bolts holding the cap down are breaking off on me.
I broke 2 and I didn't want to break the other 4 without a solution first. They are rusted and I used the 3m rust stuff however I think the rest are going to break as well.

Someone else has had to have this problem before.
Old 10-07-2006   #2
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack
Re: Studs on fuel pump cover

i just did mine. you need to spray pb blaster through a straw and soak them.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #3
gofastman
James Bond... James Bond

Drives: 95 Jeep
Send a message via AIM to gofastman

you gotta heat them up with a torch!
penatrant is really the only option, if they're gonna snap there isn't much you can do you.
you can drill new holes and use self tapping screws to reseal it. but work slowly and carfully, and have a fire extinguisure (cant spell for shit) or a box of baking soda handy any time your working with the fuel system, just in case
If you know Mary Clifford, Ph,.D. Associate Professor of Criminal Justice in St. Cloud State University. Then your well aware of who she is.
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

As long as you have a couple left that are across from each other, then you are fine. You can put some black silicone on there, then tighten those down. The silicone will seal it.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006   #5
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Yeah I am hoping that I will at least save the rest of them. They are soaking right now in the good 3M stuff. If not I am just going to have to redrill and put the self tapping screws in.

The only way I can think of catching the metal shavings is (and this is when the pump is removed) take a thick plastic bag and some duct tape and tape the bag around the hole from the inside. This way when the metal shavings fall they will fall into the bag and into the gas tank.
My only problem is that if I am going to use self taping screws to reseal the cover to the pump some shavings might fall do to the screws tapping themselfs in for the first time. Anyway I will let you know how it goes

Also TIP
The gas line fitting was supposed to be a bitch however there is a trick I will tell everyone. Buy the flare wrenches first! Instead of using brute force to move the wrenches (Like I did the first time and almost broke my hand doing so) use a vicegrip.
Position the wrenches so there is a very little gap inbetween them. Take the vicegrip and grip the wrenches together. It will be just enough to break them loose and spin them off freely. SO EASY!!!! It is now these other bolts that are a %*#$
Old 10-08-2006   #6
gofastman
James Bond... James Bond

Drives: 95 Jeep
Send a message via AIM to gofastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew7dg
Yeah I am hoping that I will at least save the rest of them. They are soaking right now in the good 3M stuff. If not I am just going to have to redrill and put the self tapping screws in.

The only way I can think of catching the metal shavings is (and this is when the pump is removed) take a thick plastic bag and some duct tape and tape the bag around the hole from the inside. This way when the metal shavings fall they will fall into the bag and into the gas tank.
My only problem is that if I am going to use self taping screws to reseal the cover to the pump some shavings might fall do to the screws tapping themselfs in for the first time. Anyway I will let you know how it goes
I found trying to seal it with silicone simply didnt work, when we had to drill, we drained the gas out of the plug on the bottom of the tank (I HIGHLY recomend a VOC resporator and safty glasses unless you want to get very high) if posible flow inert gas like CO2 or Argon into the tank, because once you drain the liquid gas you left with any empty tank full of flamible vapors, you can also fill the tank with water but its a huge pain in the ass
Remember to use anti-sieze during reassembly, or you will have to do all this over
If you know Mary Clifford, Ph,.D. Associate Professor of Criminal Justice in St. Cloud State University. Then your well aware of who she is.

Last edited by gofastman; 10-08-2006 at 12:25 PM..
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006   #7
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Well I broke all but two and they are on opposite sides of eachother, however I still don't feel comfortable with this so I am still going to try my idea and drill four more holes out so I can screw my sheet metal screws in. Then I am just going to put a good amount of gasket sealer on the hole thing. Right now I am just going to put the new pump on the bracket.

I am taking pictures and I will let everyone know if this works