MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 03-04-2006   #1
6bgst

help

Any suggestion on how to loosen the front swaybar links on the 95 gst, I'm trying to put coilover on but the links is giving me problem.
6bgst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #2
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm
Re: help

Can't you just unbolt them? At least on 1G's, the sway bar end links have a hex part you can hold with a 14mm box end wrench, and then loosen the actual nut on the end link.
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #3
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g

Those linkages are a bitch to get off.. when you try to loosen the bolts, the nut just spins inside that rubber gromet thingy. If I remember correctly, I got my coilovers in without taking those linkages off.

Here is a vfaq on what you gotta do in general:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/GCkit-2G.html

- Basically, loosen the top 3 bolts that hold the strut on top
- Loosen the bolt thats clamping the bottom mount onto the strut (DON'T TAKE THAT BOLT OUT) just loosen it enough to get the strut out.
- Remove the bottom bolt that bolts the bottom mount onto the lower control arm
- The bottom mount should be loose enough now to push down away and off the strut, use some elbow grease if it's being stubborn because those friggin' sway bar linkages are holding it (use wd40/liquid wrench if needed)
- You may need to push the hub down to get enough clearance to take the strut out.
- If you still don't have enough clearance because the strut still has some life in it, try unbolting the upper control arm (2 bolts)

I stripped the linkage bolts trying to get them loose so I had to cut it with a dremmel and replace it.. hope you don't have to do the same. Good luck and keep us posted.
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #4
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm
Can't you just unbolt them? At least on 1G's, the sway bar end links have a hex part you can hold with a 14mm box end wrench, and then loosen the actual nut on the end link.
I tried that on my 97 gsx but the nut just got stripped because there's so little room to keep the wrench on the nut, not to mention that damn gromet kept getting in the way.
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006   #5
6bgst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm
did that and didn't work
6bgst is offline   Reply With Quote