MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 02-03-2006   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
To Network admins...

Hey guys,
I am the IT Administrator for my company Polytec. Im trying to find a Server/Network Monitoring software that will tell the usual but also tell me the CPU temp of our servers. And also a great feature would be a warninig system that will either send me updates via Text message, email, or Phone call.
Does anyone have any preferences as to what software would do this?
Thanks in advance.
Tom
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: To Network admins...

When I worked at Target they used Tivoli to monitor everything on the network.
http://www.tivoli.com

HP OpenView is also an awesome monitoring package.
http://www.managementsoftware.hp.com/

If your network is run using Novell it's all built into Netware.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #3
Steeltwo
CompUSA Whore

Drives: 07 Civic Si, 06 IS 350 and I own a dsm
Send a message via ICQ to Steeltwo

the cpu temp will depend on what type of server it is, and if it even has the monitor on the board.

we use dell's and their software is called Open Manage. There are about 60000000 different open manage aps, one of them being a messaging service.

and I think 2003 has a email feature that will email a certian address if a ! comes up.

what OS's are you supporting?

mac,linux/unix,novell all have item's you can download from their website for free or are already built in.

if it's linux, you'll be good to go. My brother in law does unix admin for ibm and he wrote all the BS that does what you want.
Steeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #4
scheides
flips McGee

Lots of good ones out there, lots of money to be spent!

I use Big Brother.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #5
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Heres what we have....
We have 2 HP prolient G4s, using dual 3.1 Xeon processors, 6 scsi 15000 rpm drives each, and running Windows Server 2003.
In our Boston office we have a Dell server. Dont know what exactly it is, but ill be going there for 2 weeks at the end of febuary, (i also support that one)
Thanks for the suggestions. I was doing searches online and i kept getting these no name ones that i have never heard of. but ive heard of Tivoli before, ill have to check it out.
Thanks again.
Tom
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #6
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

APC makes units that are external and hook up to the UPS's, and then the UPS is connected to your server through usb or serial. We are using one of their temp/humidity sensors in the server rack and it notifies you however you want if the temp/humid is too low or high. This is only for external temps though, you put the sensor wherever you want. You can use software like the ones mentioned though to keep tabs on the actual core temp.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006   #7
Steeltwo
CompUSA Whore

Drives: 07 Civic Si, 06 IS 350 and I own a dsm
Send a message via ICQ to Steeltwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/// Guy
APC makes units that are external and hook up to the UPS's, and then the UPS is connected to your server through usb or serial. We are using one of their temp/humidity sensors in the server rack and it notifies you however you want if the temp/humid is too low or high. This is only for external temps though, you put the sensor wherever you want. You can use software like the ones mentioned though to keep tabs on the actual core temp.
i've never heard of those, that is quite a good idea on apc's part.
Steeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #8
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g

Well you are just in luck. I work for a company called JumpNode Systems and we recently created a network monitoring product: www.jumpnode.com Everything is configured before you receive the JumpNode so all you have to do is plug it in on your network via ethernet behind your firewall/gateway. You can configure pretty much any check you can think of for hosts/devices on your network. Alerts can be sent via email, txt, or pager. Cell is in the works or currently in a testing state(can't remember). Also, alerts can be configured for certain time intervals and can be set for individuals, groups, or a hierarchy of individuals. We also added a couple new features recently: Autodiscovery scans the networks for devices and available services to monitor on those devices/hosts, i.e. ssh, http, etc. The interface is accessible through web browser with real time graphs and data. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, pm me and I'll get you more info.

Last edited by clean2g; 02-06-2006 at 12:44 AM..
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #9
scheides
flips McGee

So, 3 servers total, plus a few DIA links you want to monitor? How many services on each box do you want to monitor? Big Brother will do what you want, and cost is very attractive. Def. check out all of the suggestions here though; make sure you pick one that's right for you/your company.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #10
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

Drives: IX EVO MR/SE

I've had good luck with advanced host monitor, pretty cheap for how flexible it is:

Download a trial for free here:

http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/index.htm