View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014   #233
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Meet GheyRay: Lower, Wider, Lighter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Cool. I know Ford factory fill now-a-days is also semi-syn as well (Motorcraft). Well for their normal cars at least, no idea on their performance stuff but assume it's the same.
Yup, I think they're doing it for the extended drain intervals and to squeeze out a little extra MPG while saving on the cost of a full synthetic. Once my free oil changes are done (24k miles) I'll likely switch it over to Mobil 1 5W-30, but in the meantime I'll continue taking advantage of the free oil changes (assuming 3rd time's the charm that is).
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
Dexos is GM's own "standard" for quality of oil. Its nothing new, its just a fancy word that they license out to oil manufactures so that GM can make more money.
Correct, basically a standard above the standard. Many oils meet the specification, but you do have to license the logo from GM to put it on your product so only a few have it. I think this also has to do with the extended oil drain intervals and the factory powertrain warranty; if you're getting your oil changed at JoeBlow Shop using generic bulk oil while still following the extended drain intervals set forth for Dexos1 oils and have an engine failure, good luck getting warranty to cover it.

Is it truly a better oil though? Doubt it, mainly marketing + licensing rights.

Last edited by Kracka; 07-23-2014 at 01:14 PM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote