View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007   #1
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Laser's $100 Project Thread

I have gotten bored with the slow and none too exciting stock '92 Laser AWD. It does have a Southbend DXD clutch in it and Redline fluids in the tranny, xfer case, and rear diff, but otherwise its bone-stock down to a paper air filter. I decided to make a $100 budget for making the Laser a quicker and more fun car.

So far here is what I have gotten:

eBay MBC = $13
OBX 30-0-30 boost gauge = $5
Autometer A/F gauge = $5
Carbon fiber dual gauge pod = $10 (this and both gauges came as a package for $20)
K&N filter = $15
Hacked 1G MAS with removed silencer= $10 (the screws holding mine in are rusted so I can't take it out to hack it and remove the silencer)
3" metal intake = the cost of lunch ~$10

This leaves me at a total cost of $68, so I have $32 left over to spare. I'm hoping to not have to go buy any vacuum line, couplers, or clamps to get all this together, but I may have to spend a few dollars on those once I start installing all this stuff. I have also removed the weather seal above the passenger headlight and will be removing some little bolt-on plates behind the passenger headlight in hopes to increase air-flow the the air filter ever so slightly. If I can sell any of the removed stock parts I will add that money to my fund giving me more to play with, I have also thought about trading my stock EPROM ECU for a non-EPROM ECU + cash to give me a bit more to play with (any takers?).

I have a few ideas what to do with my remaining money such as shifter bushings, put it towards dynoing at the next event, or just pocket it. I am open to suggestions from everyone though so feel free to chime in! If I could get enough money from all the stuff to be able to get a cheap turboback exhaust that would be great, but I don't think it will happen. I would also like a testpipe since thats more reasonable considering the given budget, but even then I'd need a shop to "sponsor" the car (good free publicity, sticker's on the car if you want, etc.) if you will and give me some free/cheap labor since my fund will only cover the cost of actual parts. I have a line on a larger turbo outlet elbow for the cost of Applebee's so that will probably be another $5-10 subtracted from the fund.

I will take and post pics as the actual work is done and parts are installed. My MBC should be here by Friday so I'll probably start the job that night and try and get it all done in one shot!

Last edited by Kracka; 05-16-2007 at 07:11 PM..
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote