View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009   #93
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Whats new with Teh Gheyrod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
If you really want to test the part properly, don't do it at max boost and the limits of the turbo and the limits of your octane. Turn the boost down to 19 or whatever and run a tune that isn't close to the edge and doesn't knock at all. You might also want to flatten out all your timing tables so that it will run the same ignition timing every run. It will be hard to see the true gains of a specific part, if the turbo is maxed or your octane is maxed.

As far as Skunk2, welcome to the world of Honda throttle bodies. Leaks, not matching to the intake manifold, sticky throttles, idle problems, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the 68mm TB didn't lose power in the midrange or not gain much up top. The 1G DSM TB has made 850awhp, Hondas make 500-600+ on their stock TBs. I am not saying that a bigger TB wouldn't help on a car like that, but it isn't a part that is known to be a big gainer on most cars.

I have been disappointed by the bored out TBs, ported intake manifolds, ported/coated exhaust parts on the Evos and Subarus. You are lucky to get 1/10th of the power gains that some of the people hawking these parts claim.

One other potential reason you might not see as big of gains is that you guys are trying to do an objective unbiased test. While some others will make sure to take the worst possible "before" run versus the best possible "after" run.

Hopefully the Skunk2 TB is a good piece. I hate TBs that are too touchy or sticky.
Thanks for the insight, Shane! I do agree with what you said about not running the turbo on the edge. I did turn down the boost to 22 and during each of the pulls I was showing zero counts of knock with a quick 1-count here and there randomly. I also did pull timing back 2* across the majority of the powerband. I am trying to be as objective as possible here; peak torque was consistently up a bit with the ported IM, but it was very small and was within what I considered to be acceptable error. As for the whp with stock we did 3 pulls: 374, 376, 378; with the ported we saw: 375, 376, 380. Again, slightly better results but nothing notable and certainly not high enough to be considered true gains. Now, once the lowest #'s with the new parts are higher than the highest baseline #'s we'll be on to something.

I do also hope this Skunk2 TB is a good piece; it certainly looks nice in all its sexy billet goodness, but if it continues to suck on the car I will not hesitate to send it back to Skunk2 and either stick with stock or find another aftermarket alternative.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote