PDA

View Full Version : A little mishap...

Pages : [1] 2

A//// Guy
10-17-2003, 10:49 PM
My car decided to act funny starting wednesday.. I thought it was just bad gas so I drained it and such...

That wasnt the problem though.. the car went from missing a little on wednesday to knocking at idle on thursday- knocking like you can hear it crunching away...

So then yesterday it just wouldnt start... so I took the timing belt off today and discovered that the crankshaft gear skipped 4 teeth... sending timing way out of the norm. Im going to replace the T-belt because i think it stretched.. and the main gear too because its old and kind smooth on the ended of the teeth..

Well next week I should have together again but well see... I dont think any valves met pistons so it should be ok.. just timing was so off that it wouldnt run right at all.

Just wanted to share my dsm joys. :dsmrule: :bs:

-Peter

john
10-18-2003, 12:35 AM
That sucks. I can give you a used timing belt. It has a groove running up one edge. Also, I have a snapped b-shaft belt if you want to use that also. Both belts only have 20,000 miles. Should last another 40,000. j/k

Raptor
10-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear about that Peter.

As far as valves hitting the pistons, I have that cool little tool known as a boroscope that will tell you for sure without pulling the head if you are curious. All we need is to pull the plugs and go right in through there. Let me know if that interests you.

A//// Guy
10-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Mike- I forgot you had that, that would be sweet to just to check it out. Can we set something up for next week?

Im leaving to go up north in an hour or so.. Ill be back on Sunday so I can talk to you then. Glad to hear your feeling better too.

92tsiawd84- haha no, thanks for the generous offer but Ill go get a new one. :P

Raptor
10-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Anytime next week is fine Peter, just let me know what works for you. And thanks, I do feel much better!

Matt D.
10-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't a simple compression test be easier than sticking something down the intake in this case?

Jakey
10-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Matt D.@Oct 18 2003, 12:58 PM
Wouldn't a simple compression test be easier than sticking something down the intake in this case?
Wouldn't it be possible for there to still be some damage but yet run good compression numbers?

Matt D.
10-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Jakey+Oct 18 2003, 01:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jakey @ Oct 18 2003, 01:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Matt D.@Oct 18 2003, 12:58 PM
Wouldn't it be possible for there to still be some damage but yet run good compression numbers? [/b][/quote]
My thought is if the pistons kissed the valves in any way they'd be bent and wouldn't allow for very good compression at all if he previously had good compression.

CVD
10-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Thats my thinking.

if the valves did hit, then it would be good for checking how bad the damage is, and seeing if you need new pistons before you start opening things up.

Jakey
10-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Matt D.+Oct 18 2003, 01:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Matt D. @ Oct 18 2003, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Jakey@Oct 18 2003, 01:29 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Matt D.@Oct 18 2003, 12:58 PM
Wouldn't it be possible for there to still be some damage but yet run good compression numbers?
My thought is if the pistons kissed the valves in any way they'd be bent and wouldn't allow for very good compression at all if he previously had good compression. [/b][/quote]
I wasn't sure if there was any sort of tolerance built in for valve damage = lower compression.