PDA

View Full Version : AWD swap & what's required

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TkrPerformance
10-14-2003, 09:44 AM
this is for every on who wants to do a awd swap to there car what parts are need to do it right
we will start with the front
1. tranny
2. transfer case
3. gsx starter
4. gsx flywheel
5. gsx front axles
6. while your at it do the brake swap to the 2 piston front brakes
7. main drive shaft
exhaust system
1. down pipe
2. cat
3. mid pipe
4. muffler
5. all hangers for the exhaust and drive shaft they are spot welded to the car
6. the mid pipe heat shield
the back of the car
1.gas tank
2. gas tank straps
3. gas tank metal shield
4. complete rear end with all suspension parts brakes and ebrake cables
Every thing in the front and exhaust system will be a bolt on thing but the rear end parts need to be made to fit in all holes are there for it to bolt in to the car.
The gas tank
take out the gst tank and cut out the two tank holders where it bolted to then put the gsx tank in and mark where the bolts will need to be moved to hold the new tank. The front bolts are there just need to be drilled to get rid of the spot weld and moved 2 holes in an both sides and tacked back in to the new holes that are there already. As for the rear I put bolts in the car to bolt in the rear also.
The rear end
take out the gst rear end and ebrake cables. To put in the gsx rear end you need to cut the frame of the car it is in two layers of metal the rear bolt is in the right spot just cut it out and take ot the spacer that is on the bolt to drop it down so it is longer make sure to fabe a bolt holder so it wont spin when you tighten up the nut. as for the other bolt in there already just leave it a lone it if fine were it is or cut it off your choose but the next hole forward of that you will need to do the same as the rear bolt but you need to put in a grade 8 bolt in the hole then just bolt in the rear end and hook up the ebrake cables in the car.
drive shaft install
You will have to drill out you exhaust holder and weld in the new one in the same spot you took yours out at they look the same but the gsx has the exhaust holders on it and the drive shaft bolts . As far as the rear holder you will need to weld it in right before the gas tank
then just Finnish bolting things in the car
that's it
mark
at tkrPerformance

AJ
10-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Now this I like. Maybe we can discuss this a bit and then we can put this beats as a sticky in the "Good Stuff" forum. Thanks Mark!

Jakey
10-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Could you post up some pictures of your car please? :D

1ViciousGSX
10-14-2003, 03:30 PM
I agree with Alan. This is an excellent thread and moved it to "The Good Stuff" forum since it is more of an information post vs a problem post. Keep up the great work.

TalonFiero
10-14-2003, 03:33 PM
I this procedure the same for both 1G and 2G FWD DSMs? Also are there any extra steps for swapping an AWD setup into a Spyder?

Cool thread, I always wanted to do a spyder -> AWD TSI conversion!

Jim

1ViciousGSX
10-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by TalonFiero@Oct 14 2003, 02:33 PM
I this procedure the same for both 1G and 2G FWD DSMs? Also are there any extra steps for swapping an AWD setup into a Spyder?

Cool thread, I always wanted to do a spyder -> AWD TSI conversion!

Jim
I think RRE did one, but it wasn't easy on the Spyder.

BuildADSM
10-14-2003, 05:16 PM
I don't know what is different but it is harder to do on a spider unless you just cut the top off of an awd.

Shane@DBPerformance
10-14-2003, 05:18 PM
I think TKR did a FWD Spyder non-turbo to AWD turbo.

BuildADSM
10-14-2003, 07:25 PM
N/T to AWD damn that had to be hard. I know that to do an awd swap it is harder to do in a spider but I also know that it has been done before many times.

TkrPerformance
10-15-2003, 04:21 PM
hello
I did do a my 98 spyder it was a non turbo 2.4sohc auto now it is a 6bolt turbo from a 92 talon.
rear end from a 95 talon. 1 pice drive shaft and swaped to 5 speed. I can do a awd swap in 2 day if you have all the parts
the spyder and the hardtop cars are the same shell
If some one has a dit camram I can use sence I droped my phone and that on does not work any more I will put up pics.
It is up on stands wating for a fully biult 6bolt right now.
mark
at tkrPerformance