PDA

View Full Version : 1g head on a 2g engine swap

Pages : [1] 2 3

Onefast99gsx
02-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Ok, so i'm looking to get a 1g head and I'm researching what i'll all need to make this work. The CAS is what concerns me. Will my '99 CAS bolt onto the 1g head without any mods to it including wiring. I went to RRE's website and it made me more confused. Read this from their site. The first sentence they say the 97-up sensor will fit without modification. But if you're putting your 2g 97-up sensor on that came with the car, why would you have to modify the connector that is the stock 2g one. I don't follow....????? Thanks

From RRE's website...

There are two ways to deal with mounting the cam angle sensor when swapping to a 1G head.

The 97-up style cam angle sensor will bolt to the 1G head without any modification. The wire connector is different so you will need to make a connector for it or get one from a wrecking yard to plug in the wires. The main difference in the sensor is that it gives an opposite pulse from what the 95-96 sensor does. There are two ways to deal with it. (This also applies to swapping a 95-96 ECU with a 97-up ECU)

Onefast99gsx
02-18-2005, 11:00 AM
My title is kind of confusing, it's not a 2g engine swap.... I just mean putting a 1g head onto my 2g engine('99).

TheBlizzard
02-18-2005, 11:32 AM
There should be a VFAQ on it. Or other literature on how to do it on the internet. I know my roomate Nash did it on his old GST and from what he said it was kind of a bitch but not that terrible, maybe he can let you know what you are looking forward to . If you know exactly what you are going to need from a 1G though it shouldn't be that bad.

CRAIG

Shane@DBPerformance
02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
From RRE's website...

There are two ways to deal with mounting the cam angle sensor when swapping to a 1G head.

The 97-up style cam angle sensor will bolt to the 1G head without any modification. The wire connector is different so you will need to make a connector for it or get one from a wrecking yard to plug in the wires. The main difference in the sensor is that it gives an opposite pulse from what the 95-96 sensor does. There are two ways to deal with it. (This also applies to swapping a 95-96 ECU with a 97-up ECU)

All this stuff is for 95-96 guys, they have a different kind of CAS setup that doesn't bolt right onto a 1G head. The 97-99 CAS setup bolts right up to a 1G head and since you already have a 99 CAS on your car, you don't have to worry about wiring one in, like on a 95-96. I run my stock 99 CAS and wiring on my car with a 1G head.

Onefast99gsx
02-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Ecoli- Excellent, that's exactly the statement i was looking to read. RRE's how to is nice but that first statement was confusing. Perhaps they should of put that '97-up statement on a line by itself instead of with the '95-96 stuff.

Thanks again.

Wizard
02-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Biggest thing to remember there is that the 97+ cam sensor is attached to the intake cam from a bolt that threads into it. Whereas, a 1g intake cams have a notched end the meshes with the cam sensor. This won't matter to you right now, but will be useful when you are considering a cam change, or if you decide to use a 1g sensor (they are adjustable) and/or cams (1g cams are a bit more aggressive).

Wiz

tpunx99GSX
02-18-2005, 01:52 PM
I asked this in the other thread, but why would you use the 1g Head, i have always been told that the 2g head is better.

Onefast99gsx
02-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks for that addition as well. Yes before it goes back on the road in may, it will have HKS cams so i know i will have to tap the intake cam if it's not already.

Thanks.

john
02-18-2005, 06:25 PM
I will post up some of the parts later. I am at work now. One of the more fun parts about the swap is the 6 bolt water line and thermostat housing. I cannot remember to much right now. It has been a long day.

MustGoFaster
02-18-2005, 06:41 PM
I asked this in the other thread, but why would you use the 1g Head, i have always been told that the 2g head is better.

With proper porting.