PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Head

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Halon
11-11-2003, 01:39 PM
cam labeled INT is towards the intake mani, cam labeled EXH is towards the exh manifold.

JET
11-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Alright, if your exhaust cam was off 180 degrees, wouldn't it be trying to open the exhaust valves the same time as the intake? I am guessing they would meet in the middle and bend. I am not positive on this, but it sounds like what would happen to me.

Enes
11-11-2003, 02:59 PM
it is just as if it threw the timing belt but its worse because the valves are not free flowing any more and are going to be stuck there so if they want to open and pinstons are in TDC they will be meating each other for lunch and dinner..

-E

Halon
11-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by JET@Nov 11 2003, 02:07 PM
Alright, if your exhaust cam was off 180 degrees, wouldn't it be trying to open the exhaust valves the same time as the intake? I am guessing they would meet in the middle and bend. I am not positive on this, but it sounds like what would happen to me.
i dont think so, cuz the intake and exhaust strokes are not exactly opposite each other. It goes Intake, compression, combustion, exhaust. so if the exhaust cam is 180 off then i would see the exhaust valves opening during the compression stroke. and to me that equals fizzzuked up valves. im not 100% sure of this, but kinda how i figured it

Raptor
11-11-2003, 04:58 PM
I would guess you bent the valves as well. What year car? I may have a head for you.

Halon
11-11-2003, 05:03 PM
its a 91 tsi awd. if u have a head lemme know asap, im about to buy one from sumone else for 150 shipped. doesn't come with lifters or rocker arms, but i can just take them outta my one i got right now. But if u got one that u are SURE is good, no leaking valve stem seals or anything, then lemme know asap man!

JET
11-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Make sure the other one you are buying comes with the cam caps!

Raptor
11-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Sorry, the only ones I have at the moment are 2G. Like JET said, make sure he at least has the caps for it. Hey, now may be a good time to go with the new style lifters as well. They can be had for a little more than $7 each.

Halon
11-12-2003, 12:25 AM
may i ask why cam caps are important? i mean i can take the ones of mine and put it on that one right? or are they like non interchangable? just wondering. I'm pretty sure it comes with the cam caps but ill ask him just to make sure 100%

niterydr
11-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by me612@Nov 12 2003, 12:25 AM
may i ask why cam caps are important?  i mean i can take the ones of mine and put it on that one right?  or are they like non interchangable?  just wondering.  I'm pretty sure it comes with the cam caps but ill ask him just to make sure 100%
My money is on bent valves, with probably some piston damage, how many times did you try to crank it? Cause if it cranked multiple times you probably had a valve wedge the piston from moving (not good).
The other option is what is the headgasket made of? Im assuming you used a new one...What did you torque it to?
Also did you perform the test correctly? Possibly a chunk of the tool (o-ring) get stuck down a spark plug hole? How does the motor sound when testing? (air coming out other holes?)
Do a leakdown test, or just rip it off, and keep us posted.
FYI, its not recommended to swap cam caps, just like its not recommended to swap main caps and so forth.