PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust to turbo bolts stuck

Pages : [1] 2 3

SlowWhite
09-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Went out to try to replace the gasket that blew out, what I thought would be a simple job has now become a PIA.

For starters the front 2 bolts on the FP race manifold are stuck, one i started to round the edges of the bolt, so I stopped on that one. the 2nd has 5 washers under it and is also stuck.

The back two bolts which I know are there I cant even feel so I will come back to them later.

I turned the car on and let it come up to temp, heating up the bolts thinking that would help but still no go.

Any suggestions? It has a heat blacket on the exhaust manifold that I'm not sure how to take off with out cutting the wire pieces which look are holding it the manifold (not sure what/where to get new ones if I do this)

Sockets wont fit around the bolts due to the manifold, so I have is the standard wrench heat to apply torque.

blackrosenova400
09-24-2014, 11:31 AM
If you can get a hold of one an oxy acetylene torch would be your best bet. Never heat up the bolt your removing. Heat up its surrounding area and fast, as the faster you heat up the surrounding area the bigger the temperature variation you will have with the surrounding area and the bolt. Heating up the surrounding area will cause it to expand and thus free the bolt if there is enough temperature variance. An oxy acetylene torch is about the only thing that will heat fast enough to do this.

Kracka
09-24-2014, 12:52 PM
A few cans of PB Blaster and slowly working the bolts in/out in/out repetitively works sometimes too. Try doing it cold after letting the Blaster soak overnight...sometimes it helps. USE HIGH-TEMP COPPER ANTI-SEIZE DURING REASSEMBLY!

SlowWhite
09-24-2014, 12:53 PM
ya didnt have any other heat source so thought i'd try just warming the car up.

Will head out in a bit to get some bp blaster and a torch.

blackrosenova400
09-24-2014, 01:11 PM
+1 on the copper anti seize. Its what I use and an impact will take out the bolts every time. Impact is better in these situations if your careful and have access.

Kracka
09-24-2014, 01:18 PM
I have heard getting to the bolts on those FP manifolds can be a real challenge :(

scheides
09-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Band saw?

SlowWhite
09-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Joy. Just found out the bolts are the fp manifold bolts and they are $60 to replace.

Man I hope a torch will get these loose

b00sted_spyder
09-24-2014, 07:35 PM
If you ruin them, ARP's are a lot cheaper and better.

Alpha D
09-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Downpipe off from O2.... manifold of from head...work assembly on bench, or bring to me and ill get them off for you. Have a torch at work...else...a lot of time patience and maybe a propane torch might do the trick...doubt it but worth a shot else do it the long way :D