PDA

View Full Version : Redline Water Wetter

Pages : [1] 2 3

Alpine TSi
06-15-2004, 07:32 PM
The purpose of this post is to share an opinion and facts of a product from Redline called "Water Wetter". This is merely meant as an informative post and not a debate, if you have nothing to add that is positive START YOUR OWN THREAD. That being said, here we go.

After the arrival of some nice, but warm weather, I have noticed that coolant temps on my 92 TSi have gone higher than I desire. I do have a large PTE race core(the largest QPR offers), and that does a great job blocking flow to my radiator, which is a Modine O.E. spec replacement. I was experiencing consistent 215-225 degree temps. I am running a stock Mitsubishi thermostat which opens at approximately 197 degrees.

So on the advice of the gentlemen at QPR I ran straight distilled water with a 3/4 bottle of Water Wetter added to it. Then I waited for similar temperature days.

The next opportunity I had to log and watch my temps I was enjoying a range of 200-208 degrees. Now this is just freeway cruising, but what was really suprising is that when I would slow down and stop(exit ramps, etc..) the temps would rapidly drop into the 187-195 degrees range. The rapid drop would have never happened on a 50/50 mix without the Water Wetter. I was simply amazed. Stop and go rush hour traffic is no longer an issue anymore as I never see temps above 208 degrees, even with such abuse.

I have yet to experiment with higher engine demand circumstances(such as dynoing or track days). But do expect great results.

So in summary, I greatly recommend 100% water with Water Wetter additive for anyone ailing from high temps or for anyone in general who wishes to keep their investments in one piece.

A//// Guy
06-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the results. I got mine sitting at QPR to pick up tommorow. Since the FMIC we installed my high temps on the freeway wer around 215. So im looking to lower that and not worry about it. Well see if my results are positive also.

About the mix. Can I just add the water wetter to my existing 50/50 or should I dilute it with more water. Also what happens in winter when you are running 100% water? I assume you wont drive it this winter? :)

AJ
06-16-2004, 12:35 AM
just changed out the mix again and go with a 50/50 or whatever you prefer to run in the winter.

LOAF
06-16-2004, 12:42 AM
I am not sure what my readings are/were before I put it in, but have researched and like the product. I do know my temps are a little cooler since I swapped to distilled water and Water Wetter. In my opinion it is worth it if it does nothing more than lube the water pump.

Alpine TSi
06-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Yeah around September I will pour in some antifreeze again. I would say instead of adding it to a 50/50 mix just run water.

SlowWhite
06-18-2004, 02:41 PM
How much is a bottle? It think I'm going to try it this time around.

So basically your saying with Water Wetter you must run just water. No mix.

Then for winter you just change back to your 50/50 mix

-correct?

I've been battling Temp problems for so along I've started swapping everything.

I was thinking about ordering a Fluidyne next month. to go with my new High CFM Fans I'm picking up today.

AJ
06-18-2004, 03:15 PM
There are a few places to get it. We sell it for $9 a bottle. MAS has it for about $11 a bottle, and I don't know the others.

Alpine TSi
06-18-2004, 09:59 PM

-correct?

Well you don't have to run all water, but since Water Wetter only increases the effectiveness of water, there isn't much of a point for having a 50/50 mix.

Also with some dyno results for the Water Wetter, I noticed that after about maybe 5-7 pulls close to eachother, I never had temps over 190. And that is with RS Motors/Propulshun's horseshit cooling system.

niterydr
06-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Alpine TSi@Jun 18 2004, 08:59 PM

-correct?

Well you don't have to run all water, but since Water Wetter only increases the effectiveness of water, there isn't much of a point for having a 50/50 mix.

Also with some dyno results for the Water Wetter, I noticed that after about maybe 5-7 pulls close to eachother, I never had temps over 190. And that is with RS Motors/Propulshun's horseshit cooling system.
yeah that was awesome :).
Anyone that does any racing anywhere should use distilled water and water wetter mix in the summer and good old 50/50 in the winter.
Just my $.02

john
06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
I think I am going to stick with what was working so far on my cooling system, 50/50 mix. Actually, I may throw in a radiator fan soon but I haven't needed one so far ;) .