PDA

View Full Version : Basic info on evo 9

Pages : [1] 2

turbotalon1g
07-04-2010, 07:12 PM
My account is not fully functional on evolutionm and I don't know where else to look.

But I want to know the differences between the different models of Evos. Which trans is stronger? All the noob like stuff someone would want to know when getting into EVO 9s.

I would love to rock a stock setup like bryce and join his clan. :beerfunnel2:

Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron
(AT dsm now available for sale)

mlomker
07-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Sounds like you and Shane want the same car: a GG GSR. The 5 speed is stronger. Gut the car yourself since it'll be a lot cheaper than finding an RS.

cudvig
07-04-2010, 07:30 PM
black is lame.

-Colin

Kracka
07-04-2010, 07:48 PM
IX was available in 3 models and various sub-models.

RS
GSR, GSR SSL, GSR SE
MR, MR SE

RS was the stripped "race" model. A/C and radio were optional, no power windows/locks, less sound deadening, etc.

GSR is your standard IX which is what I had. SSL package adds a better stereo with sub, leather seats, sunroof, and HID lights.

MR is the top model and included an aluminum roof, 6-speed tranny, Bilstein shocks, and BBS wheels.

The SE package added HID's, an aluminum roof, red stitched seats, and Diamond Black BBS wheels to the standard GSR. The SE package added red stitched seats and the same MR BBS wheels in the Diamond Black color.

The RS/GSR 5-speed transmission is stronger, but I feel the 6-speed gearing is beneficial for daily driving. 1st-4th in the IX 5 and MR 6-spds are geared nearly identical, but the 6-spd 5th gear is slightly shorter than the 5-spds and 6th is a bit longer. The 6-speeds do shift nicer too, but the 5-spd is nice too once you get a short-shifter and bushings.

The MR Bilstein shocks do ride much nicer than the RS/GSR KYB's but both use the same springs.

turbotalon1g
07-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going thru some tough decisions here but an evo is basically what I would be building a DSM to be, but I can't add on the practicality of a user friendly trunk, 2 more doors and comfy seats, brakes, susp. geometry.

Do they make an GSR with SSL with SE additions? - That sounds like what I want. I wouldn't want to gut the car thats just not my style.

It just popped in my head for the price of a 9, i could have my dream car of a LSx Fd, but I kind of wanted to build one myself. I don't know, lots to think about and its not something that will happen soon or even in the foreseeable future.

I'll have to get some more rides.

goodhart
07-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Oh, I see you wanna join the cool kids club!! lol jk

Good luck with your search, I have been looking at getting either a GSR/MR with SSL in White or Blue.

IX's have a different blue than the VIII's also. Electric Blue vs. Blue By You. ( I think 05 VIII's also had EB? not sure on that one)

turbotalon1g
07-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't think I'm rich enough for the cool kids club, apparently someone who knows me somehow saw this and linked me to a few LSx FDs.

Either way, I couldn't find a solid thread with info on EVO 9 models and now we have it here right on style for everyone to find.

Good luck to anyone searching for one.

goodhart
07-05-2010, 01:08 AM
Well, almost anyone can afford a car payment with the right down payment/financing. Hell, even Spaz's broke ass has one now lol

turbotalon1g
07-05-2010, 01:09 AM
^Yeah, I just don't know I've never had a car payment and I wouldn't want to drive it in the winter.
Its a lot of money for a car, Its a lot of car too don't get me wrong. I've always had cheap cars

Kracka
07-05-2010, 08:59 AM
The GSR SSL is not available with SE trim and the MR is not available with SSL trim. The SE models are going to be your most expensive IX's in the used market. It looks like some nice IX's are starting to dip below $20k now (guess I sold at the right time).