PDA

View Full Version : bov help?

Pages : [1] 2

86starion2.6
04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
i dont even know where to start. my problem right now is my hks rcing bov was sticking open and i couldnt boost over7 pounds at 3500rpms. this dude took it off and plated the pipe that goes over my vc and said it was fine cuz they came with no bov from the factory.... idk about this. o and i was running a maf and just an air filter, now theirs a maf on it. what do i do? buy a new bov? or keep it plated? helllp meee

mitsukid124
04-04-2010, 04:32 PM
it would help to know the car and year?

my 2g has a stock bypass valve on it. idk if its same 1g to 2g but the bov is supposed to blow the air back into the intake because the ecu accounts for it. the only way you can run it without a bov or vent the bov to atmosphere is if you have link of some sort or a maf translator so you can control afr's so the air is unaccounted for through the mas or maf.

someone correct me if im wrong please.

FattyBoomBatty
04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
If it's stock, you will have a hard time getting more than 10psi without hitting fuel cut, it's just how the 86 was designed. It doesn't need a BOV, but one never hurts as long as it's functioning properly.

86starion2.6
04-05-2010, 12:55 AM
yea i had a hks racing bov and i put a mas on my car and was still running the bov....but it was sticking open and not working right. its an old bov. and i couldnt boost at all and as soon as it wanted to boost it fell on its face. i took it off and plated it where the bov was and now it runs perfect... jessie at primo told me its okay but eventually would wear on the turbo. its got aftermarket hard pipes for intercooler and im running a 16g turbo with 2.5 inch exhaust straight piped to 3 inch tip and a different fuel pump so its not really that stock. its pushing just about 12 pounds and doesent fuel cut or anything. just dont wanna mess things up... and like i said it runs great without it.

Constant_Project21
04-05-2010, 01:03 AM
If it bothers you, why not just pick up a 1g bov for $30, have a flange welded on (if there isn't one on there already), and take the necessary steps to properly install/plumb the bov (by that, I mean correctly hook up the vacuum lines and such). I'm not a conquest expert, very far from it, so I wouldn't know where to start, but I'm sure it's not terribly difficult.
Just my .02cents, if you're worried about toasting your turbo, then just put a bov on.

86starion2.6
04-05-2010, 01:09 AM
yea i would install it properly. but since im running a mas now i couldnt vent it into the atmosphere... i would have to re route it back to my mas wouldnt i? it runs good now i dont wanna mess around with it if its gunna make my car run like crap again

86starion2.6
04-05-2010, 01:10 AM
the starions came from the factory without a bov. but the stock turbo was only pushing prolly only 8 pounds.. not 12

Constant_Project21
04-05-2010, 01:18 AM
If you re-route your bov back into your intake, you shouldn't have any issues with it running bad (again, my info is strongly based on 1g dsm's). When you vent your bov to the atmosphere with a mas, youre letting air that's supposed to metered, off to the atmosphere...therefore, car runs like crap. Just do it right, and shouldn't have an issue.

The conquest guys will have to chime in on what steps to take to using a mas, I'm guessing your intake doesn't have a spot to recirc, seeing as your car didn't have a bov stock.

86starion2.6
04-05-2010, 01:23 AM
yea i would have to customize the housing for it on my mas. you think it would be hard? and could i run any bov? or do i need a certain kind?

Constant_Project21
04-05-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm not positive, again, no starquest expert. Maybe you could switch to a new mas for a conquest that uses a bov? I'm sure it won't be too difficult either way.

As for bov's, get one that works, and that can be recirc'd. That's about all you have to worry about. That, and whatever flange you have on there, cause that will narrow it down. If you have a greddy 2bolt style flange, you can just get a 1g dsm bov for cheap, and it will suffice for what you have as a set-up.