PDA

View Full Version : Engine Clanking -WTF!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Halon
08-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Well my car is screwed for awhile now I'm thinking. Here's a quick run-down of what just happened about 20 minutes ago.

** Just got my new TB installed the other day. I started up the car and got the TPS dialed in. Let the car warm up and set the Idle Screw so the car was idling nicely at about 1k. Everything sounded great, and I noticed the car was low on gas. Decided to make the 1 mile round trip to the gas station to fill it up. Got to the gas station, car seemed to be running just fine. Never even got it past 55mph, just a nice leasurly drive.

Filled it up, decided to get a car wash on it since it had lots of water spots and left over pink powder residue. Drove into the car wash, shut the car off. Car wash was done, turned the car on and drove through the dryer. About that time I realised my Tach wasn't working. Once I got back on central, it started bouncing around like maybe there was a loose connection or something. Figured maybe the water from the car wash was messing with the tach signal. I turned on DSMLink, and it was logging RPM's correctly, so I continued on since home is 2 stop lights away.

I'm still driving it normally, no hard accelleration at all. All of a sudden when I'm maybe 200 yards from the 2nd stop light, CLANK CLANK CLANK ***SH!T BOUNCING AROUND IN THE MOTOR *** CLANK CLANK.

Noticed a very very small amount of smoke coming from the rear of the car. Coasted it into the parking lot. First thing I do is pop the hood and look for something obvious. Nothing obvious. I look under the car for any fluids pouring out. Nothing. I crank the motor real quick and it sounds like the compression isn't so hot anymore.

I will be waiting a minute for the sun to go down and traffic to lighten up, and tow it home (only 30 seconds away).

I have no idea as of right now, wtf happened. Car seemed to be running fine. It was idling beautifully, running just fine. Then all of a sudden at maybe 4k RPM, 1/4 throttle, CLANK!

I'm so pissed right now, especially with the DYno Day on Saturday.

Anyone have any ideas or pointers? Is it a coincidince that this happened 1 minute after the RPM gauge stopped working?

Soon as I get it home, first things I'll be doing is removing the valve cover, spark plugs, timing belt cover, and draining the oil which I'm pretty sure will be completely full of metal shavings.

Kracka
08-18-2008, 07:24 PM
That really sucks Brandon :(

polishmafia
08-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Damn :(

I wish I could help figure out what it could be. If you need a helping hand tearing into it, call me.

johnson
08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
check plugs?
maybe you will have your answer!

lets hope you didnt break a valve(s)!

GsXtUrBo98
08-18-2008, 08:33 PM
That's bad news!! I'm sorry man..

Halon
08-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Opened up the valve cover, noticed this...
http://www.dsmstyle.com/photopost/data/538/IMG_1155.jpg

Then found this...
http://www.dsmstyle.com/photopost/data/538/IMG_1154.jpg

Pulled out the plugs. That broken rocker was from Cylinder 1. But when I removed the Cyl 1 plug, the gap seemed a little off, but I think I got it better now after getting some advice from Tom (Tpunx). :confused:

http://www.dsmstyle.com/photopost/data/538/IMG_1153.jpg

I compared all 4, they all look good right? Anyone have any advice?
http://www.dsmstyle.com/photopost/data/538/IMG_1151.jpg

I think my engine took a big :crapper::crapper::crapper::crapper::crapper:

Kracka
08-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Ouch! That sucks man.

Halon
08-18-2008, 08:51 PM
On a positive note, I drained all the oil. The oil has, well, 1 mile on it, and it appears to be pretty clean.

I'll slowly be getting the head off the car to see how it looks inside and see how bad the cylinder walls look. I'm going to go ahead and assume the head is shot. Any body have a single roller rocker they'd be willing to part with?

Kracka
08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
On a positive note, I drained all the oil. The oil has, well, 1 mile on it, and it appears to be pretty clean.

Will you be listing it for sale in the classifieds?

johnson
08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
as i figured man! lets just hope it was the rocker that was makin the clank! and not the valves! mine was worse! i still have that spark plug somewhere! but that sucks man! i also broke 3 valves off into pistons and scarred the walls bad!