PDA

View Full Version : 007 Eclipse

Pages : [1] 2

JiN
02-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Ok, so on our way back from the park, I had Miranda rev my engine a little bit and I stood back by my exhaust. As I predicted, I'm shooting just a little black smoke out in higher rpms. What does this mean?

Mods are:
FPT28turbo
3'' turboback
HKS SSQV BOV
KN filter
Evo III o2 housing
NGK plugs

JiN
02-18-2004, 06:06 PM
I guess I should add that my engine light was on, then turned off after Ichanged my brake pads. And also, upon startup, my car tends to rev itself to about 2500rpms. WTF is that?

Puhrot
02-18-2004, 06:10 PM
enough said (http://www.dsmstyle.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1735&hl=) ;)

A//// Guy
02-18-2004, 09:19 PM
LOLOL.

Well you might have Idle surge.... Your fast idle valve could be getting to be junk... Mine was.

Black smoke could either be really rich or burning some oil... Check your compression.

Raptor
02-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by EclipseTurbo@Feb 18 2004, 09:19 PM
LOLOL.

Well you might have Idle surge.... Your fast idle valve could be getting to be junk... Mine was.

Black smoke could either be really rich or burning some oil... Check your compression.
black smoke = rich
blue smoke = burning oil

JiN
02-19-2004, 02:12 AM
How would I be burning oil? I mean like what causes that, and what's the fix? As far as running rich...what exactly does that mean, do, and cause from doing it? Thanks alot btw.

Enes
02-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Ouch you suprise me ricky...

BUrning oil = piston rings most likely, thats why someone mentioned do the compression. when you burn oil it means that every time there is ignition in the cilynder some oil burns.. logical? but since it is a turbo'd car you could also have bad seals in your turbo as well. another is valve seals could be hard and letting oil thru... those are pretty much the two situations where you could be burning oil, another one is a headgasket has cracked by the oil passage towards the cilynder but that would also cause your vacum/oil preassure to go up as well i beleive. I would inspect your oil and make sure it is clean.

Running rich, is exactly what it says, having a big fat wallet in your pocket!!! lmao no, you need to get safc and cut some fuel out so that you don't waste your gas. tuning will take care of this. But what you have to know when you rev your engine higher than 4000 or so you will be getting smoke out of it especially this time of the year!

-E

john
02-19-2004, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't worry about the smoke as black can be rich or lean.
rich - unburnt fuel
lean - burning the carbon off the tops of your pistons

Brake pads and cel are not related problems. The cel probly had something to do with your bov but I have no idea why it cleared itself.

Idle surge can be:
-Base Idle Set Screw (need new oring or new screw). Check by seeing if it started backing it out
-your vented bov can cause it as my hks and blitz did
-vaccum leaks
-bad ISC motor

Kracka
02-19-2004, 12:51 PM
A little bit of black smoke is normal for a modded DSM. How long does the idle stay at 2500 rpm? These cars are supposed to idle a bit higher when cold to help warm the engine and circulate the fluids.

JiN
02-19-2004, 01:01 PM
It will do it for about a second. If you say one-onethousand, it'll be done. 92tsiawd82, did you vent to atmosphere with the HKS or did you recirculate it?