PDA

View Full Version : Security lapse at London Heathrow

Pages : [1] 2

Jakey
11-25-2006, 09:35 AM
So, on my trip back to Iowa from England, I had a wonderful time at the London Heathrow airport. Here's the e-mail I just sent to airport officials:

Good day,

I am writing you to inform you of a security lapse I encountered yesterday, Friday, November 24, sometime between 10:15AM and 12:15AM London time. I arrived at London Heathrow at approximately 10:15AM to prepare for my 12:15PM Heathrow to Chicago flight. Everything was going well until it was time to walk through the scanner and send my personal belongings through the x-ray scanner.

I sent three groups of belongings through the x-ray scanner: my carry-on bag, a tub with my laptop computer, and a tub with my shoes and jacket. I then walked through the scanner and did not pass. I was subsequently searched by a security official and after a pat-down, he commented on three things: my belt, my chapstick, and my flash drive(aka: thumb drive, jump drive, memory stick, etc). It was my fault for not sending these three things through the x-ray machine and I completely understand that. He inspected by belt and noted it as okay. He then inspected my chapstick and noted it as okay. Finally, he took my flash drive back around and sent it through the x-ray scanner. I then walked to the end of the conveyor and began to collect my three groups of belongings. After I had compiled everything, I noticed that my flash drive did not arrive at the end of the conveyor. I then ask the security official who had sent it through the x-ray scanner where my flash drive was. After searching all the tubs, he could not find it. The individual operating the x-ray scanner claimed to have seen it come through the scanner but yet it never arrived at the end of the conveyor, where I was waiting. The supervisor was then summoned. I explained everything to her and she then conducted another search, which came up empty. After the search, she ordered a third security official to search my possessions for the flash drive. The official found nothing, as I expected. This third official then suggested that I go to the security desk and talk to the security supervisors. Before walking to the desk, I requested that the first security officer (the one who sent my flash drive through the x-ray scanner), come with me to the desk. He became very defensive and covered his nametag when I requested his name.

I then walked to the security desk and ended up visiting with the same supervisor who had ordered the second tub search and search of my belongings. She asked me if I wanted compensation for my flash drive and I told her no as the information that was on it is simply priceless. I requested that the security camera footage for that particular security lane (4?) be reviewed. She then informed me that the security cameras for that lane were not functioning. This is not acceptable. Coupling this new-found knowledge with the fact that no one had apologized for what had happened, I became very upset. However, I knew that getting verbally upset was going to get nowhere so I remained calm. The supervisor then asked if I wanted to file a police report but, because of a lack of time, I elected not to as I was not about to miss my flight to Chicago. I then left my contact information with the security official and left the security desk to catch my flight home. I realize that, unless under an act of God, I am never going to see my flash drive again, and I can only pray that I do not not became a victim of identity theft. So, in the end, I have a few questions:
-If the security cameras were not functioning, why was that lane in operation?
-How many other lanes had security lanes which were not functioning?
-Is it simply irony that my flash drive was stolen on a lane with non-functioning cameras or is there something going on behind the scenes?
-Why was I never apologized to?

I hope that someone takes the time to address what happened to me.

Regards,

Jacob Bolson

1ViciousGSX
11-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Are you starting to feel like a "controversy magnet" yet? :cool:

mdost03
11-25-2006, 09:48 AM
That's messed up man. So the security guy maybe pocketed it?

Jakey
11-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Are you starting to feel like a "controversy magnet" yet? :cool:
Slightly.

That's messed up man. So the security guy maybe pocketed it?
Either that or someone who was standing between me and the x-ray scanner exit grabbed it without me noticing.

mdost03
11-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Either that or someone who was standing between me and the x-ray scanner exit grabbed it without me noticing.

Well you would think the guy wouldn't get so defensive when you asked him for his name and everything if he was innocent. That's what I think at least.

scheides
11-25-2006, 10:42 AM
That sucks man, but there's shit like this all over the place. We are not as secure as governments might want us to think!

npaulseth
11-25-2006, 01:15 PM
What did you have on the flashdrive?

Jakey
11-25-2006, 01:25 PM
What did you have on the flashdrive?

I spent my 8 hour flight home trying to answer that question. In the end, I don't think I even want to know. It has been a part of my daily life for over 2 years. I did back it up on August 20 so I have everything from there and back. Fortunately, I think all of the pictures that were on it are on my desktop, and I had left all of my England pictures on my laptop.

Jana
11-25-2006, 02:49 PM
That completly blows!! :( I'm sorry to hear this happened. I'd be interested to know who actually took it & why. Keep us posted if you get a response.

Jakey
11-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I'd be interested to know who actually took it & why.

Well, hopefully it was a mistake and someone will dig through it to find my e-mail address and contact me.