MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 06-22-2018   #1
97gsexx

Blackjack Champion! BlackJack 2 Champion!
Drives: 97 talon
turbo recommedations

Recently decided to go open t3 instead of fp mani/fp black and was wondering what turbo/brand you guys recommend for my talon. Shooting for around 600awhp with the potential to approach 700 if desired. Been looking into a 6262 .82AR and borg s362, and s363 sx-e with .82 AR open t3. Open to any suggestions though! Want to go journal bearing. The car will mainly be used for the street so I would like a faster spooling turbo if possible and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with turbos around the power goals I'm shooting for. Thanks!

Last edited by 97gsexx; 06-22-2018 at 12:06 PM..
97gsexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018   #2
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: turbo recommedations

All depends on what you prefer.

PTE is probably going to net you the fastest spooling and most power per mm. But you're going to pay for it. Reliability is a touchy subject, so I'll just say they are not an OEM, so take that for what you will.

BW SX / SX-E is probably going to net you slightly slower spool and slightly less power per mm in comparison, but they are very affordable and built like a tank as they are an OEM. EFR also isn't a bad option when building a turbo system from scratch as it has the obvious tech advantages, but with options with built in WG's/BOV's/etc. the added cost isn't actually as bad once you factor in all those adders.

Garrett you're going to get a really nice turbo that makes power, spools decent, and has OEM level quality. However you are going to pay for it.

Holset I know nothing about so I can't speak to.

I personally run the Borg's for their value. All kinda depends on what you are going for. There is no right or wrong choice.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018   #3
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

If you are gonna do all the work to swap then I'd go to a 67mm.
The FP black has trapped 145mph+ on a few auto cars, street cars. Not race cars driven on teh street.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018   #4
dsmDolney

Drives: Racecars

Pte gen 2 6062 is the perfect street turbo and makes the power levels your looking for with fast spool also. I would also go ball bearing but thats just me.
dsmDolney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018   #5
97gsexx

Sorry guys, I have been out of town. Thank you gents for the replies/advice.

Halon- I have read that people have had issues with PTE turbos, usually due to not properly restricting the feed line (from what I have read). I don't know a lot about them and personally have never ran a PTE. How come you say that a PTE will spool faster then a borg? I am buying the archerfab t3 hot parts kit which includes a large runner tubular manifold (downward facing open t3), tear drop hood dump, and tear drop side exit exhaust. He offered to take 10% off the kit if I buy a turbo off the site and he offers PTE turbos. The other brands he offers are either stock housing or BB, trying to save money by going JB. As of now I am leaning towards a borg due to price and results/reliability I have read.

turbotalon1g- I was initially going to go with an fp black but decided to go ahead and go t3 so I can make more power if desired in the future.

dsmDolney- Is it worth the extra $6-700 to go BB? I just know you can't rebuild BB turbos if they blow. And I have a lot of parts to buy and saving the extra $ would be nice.

Also I forgot to add, might go with a 2.3 setup if I find a good deal. Had a 2.3/tdo6 20g setup on my old spyder and the quick spool was amazing for the street.
Old 06-26-2018   #6
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

I would second Brandon’s comments about BW. Personally I would splurge for the EFR series. It will make about the same power as a PTE ball bearing turbo, they have the same tech like billet comp wheels, spool fast, etc. They do cost a fair amount but if you want to run a good amount of boost they offer internal wastegates and built in recirc/bov valves. So you don’t have to buy those components which nets about same price in the end. Plus they have built in restrictors for oil feed, so you don’t have to worry about oil pressure blowing out seals. But you do have to run water lines. Very good turbos for the money if you ask me, I’d take one over a PTE or FP turbo any day.

Edit: I run two of the little EFR turbos on my car and love them. They flow 50% more air for the same spool as the old T28 Garrett turbos.

Last edited by asshanson; 06-26-2018 at 01:46 AM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018   #7
97gsexx

I have been looking into the EFR series, very cool and new tech. Have heard great things about them. I’m starting to perhaps consider going BB and getting a xona, he offers that on the site as well so I could get the discount. I just want to run an external gate. Would you be able to remove the internal gate off the EFR series and weld the arm shut like other turbos?
Old 06-26-2018   #8
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

I believe in the bigger EFR turbos you can get them externally gated so you wouldn't have to weld any flapper. You basically get to choose your turbine housing.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018   #9
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Yeah you can just pick the external gate version. But that might only be an option for the T4's.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018   #10
97gsexx

Decided to go BB and go with the xona 7864. Should be fun for a street beast