MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 01-06-2011   #281
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Started on Phase 2 of the MS3 install. The injectors and ignition are all wired up. I had to actually cut these wires, and solder and heat shrink them to the MS pigtail, since MS is taking over full control of them, stock ECU has no control of them anymore.

I need to run a vacuum line to it now for the MAP sensor, then get a base tune from Jordan @ Powersquirt, and another start-up video shall be made

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0063.JPG
Views:	6158
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	11201   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0064.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	11202  
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #282
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

I'm impressed that you picked up a soldering iron and went to town on your own car like that, very nice. Even tinned the wires and used heat shrink tubing!

Now don't lie, how many wires did you solder and forget to put the heat shrink on first?

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #283
Halon
Pewp Champion

Haha, only once (the first wire). I'm a quick learner

And also, probably no one on here will really care, but as Ive been going, I've been constantly updating my earlier post with exactly how I am hooking up the Megasquirt. But if anyone on here randomly wants to know how to hook up an SC300 to MS3/MS3x the same way I'm doing it, it's all written down in my earlier post. There's still a couple things I have not hooked up yet (wideband, knock) which will come later. But I'm updating it as I go so it'll be complete once I'm all done for others to see.
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=228

Last edited by Halon; 01-06-2011 at 09:30 PM..
Old 01-06-2011   #284
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Most MS cars you see are a hacked up mess, this is a welcome visual treat already. I can't wait to see this thing completely running on the MS unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011   #285
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Very nice work man, this is way more than I would ever attempt on my own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #286
Halon
Pewp Champion

Been awhile since I've been able to get back to this thing. Been busy lately!

Got the turbo exhaust housing back from Primo Performance from being coated. Looks great thanks guys!

Started it up with the MS3 controlling fuel and ignition for the first time today also. Runs a little rough, but that's to be expected for the first start-up Again big thanks to Jordan (Shaodome) for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOfz7GVyUg&hd=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_0168.JPG
Views:	5845
Size:	350.6 KB
ID:	11228   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0170.JPG
Views:	5812
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	11229   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0171.JPG
Views:	5783
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	11230  

Name:	SAM_0173.JPG
Views:	5761
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	11231  

Last edited by Halon; 01-18-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Old 01-18-2011   #287
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

Nice! So it just needs better base tuning to make it idle better or what? I cant remember but did you originally say that idle would be controled by the stock ecu?

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #288
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Nice work CEO! Keep it up. Maybe this thing can keep up with my bike sometime.
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011   #289
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

Wow! I just looked at this project. Didn't know it was running on a MS system. I am kind of addicted to those standalone.
Good Job!
Old 01-18-2011   #290
Halon
Pewp Champion

Ya, when I say it retains control over idle, what I mean is the idle components. Like how a dsm has an isc that it constantly adjusts to keep a steady idle. These cars have idle components as well in the TB/IM. And that's what I mean, is the stock ECU retains control over all of that.

The idle I'd say is rough right now because it's a very base tune for now, so the idle and ignition settings probably need a good bit of tweaking.
Old 01-19-2011   #291
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Woot woot!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #292
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Cool, when I had my DSM running on MS, I didn't even bother with the IAC. Once the engine warmed up (which didn't take too long) it didn't really matter. Idle was smooth without it. However, I didn't have AC or any other stuff that really needed it. The mitsubishi IAC is kind to take control over with MS. I don't know what type IAC Toyota uses but it may be easier to take control over then you think.

Warm up the engine then just tune out the VE table a little. Kind of watch the Air Fuel but mostly what you are going to be watching is the vacuum and RPM and just feeling out the engine.

when tuning Idle you almost have to unplug the IAC because it will throw off your idle tune. ECUs will be fighting against each other. Raise the idle screw to a reasonable RPM (1500). Tune out the VE and most likely it will raise the RPM (to say 1750). Adjust the screw down to lower RPM till it is rough and tune. Repeat till you achieve the Idle that you want.

Also before you start make sure you have your bins set where you want them. I know MS2 has 16x16, I don't know what ms3 has.

Should be really easy to get a steady idle.

Are you using 6 injector channels on the MS3 then? Running sequential injection?

The MS2 had 4 injector channels which works for 4g63.
Old 01-19-2011   #293
Halon
Pewp Champion

I don't know about half that stuff you just said. My setup is based on another guys setup who's been MS'ing these cars for years, using MS to control ignition and fuel, and leaving the rest for the stock ECU. That's why I chose to do it this way. He's extremely helpful, and extremely knowledgeable on it all, so I'm basically just doing what he tells me to do.

Yes I am running full sequential injection, that was the main reason I chose MS3/3x over MS2.
Old 01-19-2011   #294
scheides
flips McGee

Haha, I was at primo on monday and saw your turbine housing first hand, looked good! I didn't realize it was yours I would have left you a lil note

Startup isn't too bad for first shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011   #295
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
I don't know about half that stuff you just said. My setup is based on another guys setup who's been MS'ing these cars for years, using MS to control ignition and fuel, and leaving the rest for the stock ECU. That's why I chose to do it this way. He's extremely helpful, and extremely knowledgeable on it all, so I'm basically just doing what he tells me to do.

Yes I am running full sequential injection, that was the main reason I chose MS3/3x over MS2.
That is good that you have someone else guiding you. When I MSed my eclipse I was on my own. Steep learning curve but once you get everything figured out it is really fun.

SO DIVE RIGHT INTO IT!!! except don't blow up your engine...
Old 01-19-2011   #296
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Very cool! MS sure has come a long way since I last saw/looked at it.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011   #297
Halon
Pewp Champion

First test drive. I keep losing the sync, which deals with the cam signal coming in. I may dig under there next week and resolder that connection, and ensure it's well insulated and see if that helps at all. Anyhow here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xha7s9s--VY&hd=1
Old 01-21-2011   #298
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

I thought I saw a sync problem in the first video but didn't know for sure if that was the computer or connection to the MS or what.

What kind of signal does the 2jz use? Is it an opto cam or a VR cam signal? are there 2 signals being outputed? cam and crank?

Depending on the type of signal that the ecu is seeing, you may not be able to have both the Stock ECU and the MS system share the same signal. Not a big problem and there are ways around it. You can hook the signal directly up to the MS and have the MS generate another tach output signal for the stock ecu.

Are you tapping the signal from the cam sensor itself or tapping it from where the ECU sees it?

Make sure that the signal cable is shielded with a shielded wire
It should stay away from ignition components. Ignition components have A LOT of noise that could scramble the cam crank signal but if you are using the stock wires I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

What worries me is that the tach on the dash is also seeing the problem and that it isn't just megasquirt seeing the problem. if it was just megasquirt, you know something inside wasn't soldered up or using incorrect pullups to take the signal from the car. Check the signal connection. The lost sync may be present still at higher RPMs but not enough where it makes a difference for the computer to put a check engine light

Are you using someone elses spark and fuel maps for a 2jz or are you using what the ECU came with?

*edit because I really don't know much about the 2jz motor..*

is it a distributor or Coil pack or coil on plug?

You could totally switch to using a coil pack or coil on plug setup on that motor with that MS3 setup.

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 01-21-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #299
Halon
Pewp Champion

Again, I'm not the first to do this. There is a guy in Florida who has done this on several of these cars. Go on youtube and search SC300 Megasquirt and you'll find a bunch of southern florida guys using it. His name is Jordan, and he calls his product "powersquirt" so you'll see that in the videos a lot.

The 2JZ uses VR sensors within the distributor. Both cam and crank. I am using the cam signal. I think I'm actually bringing both in, but I have USE CAM SIGNAL IF AVAILABLE checked in the program. Look at post 228 for how I wired it. The NE signal is supposidly the CRANK signal, and I'm using G2 for the CAM signal. I am tapping it so both MS and the stock ECU still see it. I tapped the signal on the wire that goes to the ECU (about 1ft prior to the ECU). The MS wire is shielded. I do not have the end where I tapped grounded though. I pulled back and heatshrunk the shielding on that end. The other end is the MS connector, and I'm assuming that end is grounded internally or something. I believe that's how it calls out to hook it up. Don't ground the shield on the "sensor" end, but ground it on the connector end.

Again I don't know much about MS yet, but here's my initial thoughts on why it also affects the cars tach. It is losing sync. Not the TS program, but actual MS is losing sync correct? Well MS is controlling the fuel and ignition. So if it loses sync, the fuel/ignition being output from MS for that split second is "bad", so the car is actually missing for that split second. You can feel it, you can even hear it in the video. It's not just the tach signal, the car is really actually missing when the sync loss happens.

Like I said, next week when I have time I'm going to pull the carpet back and resolder that connection, and ensure no conductors are exposed. Maybe throw some more tape on there. Also I may hook up the stock ignition again. So the stock ECU will still be controlling Ignition, and MS is only controlling fuel. See if that improves anything. I kind of wish I would have done that in the beginning. Just 1 at a time changes, makes troubleshooting so much easier

So as for MAPs. I've sent Jordan my MSQ file and he adjusted it and sent it back with a very "base" tune. That's the plan is he's going to help me get it running decent, but then I'll be taking it to Shane to get a real tune done, just want it running fairly decent as I don't want to give Shane an untuned mess that he has to start from scratch on.

Yes I know I can switch to COP with MS3x. But like I said, I'm trying to do 1 at a time here. I plan on keeping the stock dizzy for now. In the future I may look into changing that, but for now, 1 thing at a time...

What system are you running? MS2, 3, etc? I'm working on making myself a custom dashboard in TunerStudio. You got any cool dashboards I could see or use? I like that default Green one that you see in the video that came with TS, but I'm going to make something with histographs so I can watch actual logged AFR vs. Target AFR and what not. And only throw gauges on there that I care about.

Last edited by Halon; 01-21-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Old 01-21-2011   #300
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Quote:
Again, I'm not the first to do this. There is a guy in Florida who has done this on several of these cars. Go on youtube and search SC300 Megasquirt and you'll find a bunch of southern florida guys using it. His name is Jordan, and he calls his product "powersquirt" so you'll see that in the videos a lot.
I know you are not the first to do this. The 2jz and the 7m have both been MS by version 1 2 and MS3 (the MS3 is the most interesting to me though. Lots of options and thought put into that standalone) Myself, I am not familiar with MS ing a 2jz but after building a couple for a couple of different cars, it is really easy to understand how any ECU works on any car. My best description is "It is like hooking up a stereo to your tv, dvd, ps3.... There are inputs and outputs plus you must make sure it is plugged in. " Hopefully I am not sounding rude at all when I make comments. Just trying to help a fellow MSer

Quote:
The 2JZ uses VR sensors within the distributor. Both cam and crank. I am using the cam signal. I think I'm actually bringing both in, but I have USE CAM SIGNAL IF AVAILABLE checked in the program. Look at post 228 for how I wired it. The NE signal is supposidly the CRANK signal, and I'm using G2 for the CAM signal. I am tapping it so both MS and the stock ECU still see it. I tapped the signal on the wire that goes to the ECU (about 1ft prior to the ECU). The MS wire is shielded. I do not have the end where I tapped grounded though. I pulled back and heatshrunk the shielding on that end. The other end is the MS connector, and I'm assuming that end is grounded internally or something. I believe that's how it calls out to hook it up. Don't ground the shield on the "sensor" end, but ground it on the connector end.
After I asked the question I googled it and found out it does use two vr sensors, one is a 12 tooth wheel and the other is a Top Dead Center trigger so ms knows which one to fire on for sequential injecton. You should be able to tap into it with the MS and stock ECU both in place if the stock wire wasn't shielded, it really doesn't matter if the MS is shielded. Rarely is there noise by the stock ECU. it is usually in the engine bay by the coils.

Quote:
Again I don't know much about MS yet, but here's my initial thoughts on why it also affects the cars tach. It is losing sync. Not the TS program, but actual MS is losing sync correct? Well MS is controlling the fuel and ignition. So if it loses sync, the fuel/ignition being output from MS for that split second is "bad", so the car is actually missing for that split second. You can feel it, you can even hear it in the video. It's not just the tach signal, the car is really actually missing when the sync loss happens.
TS is just reporting what MS actually sees and yes the MS is loosing sync, I can even hear it in the video when it misfires.

You don't have the wires for the 12 tooth and TDC switch because if you did, it wouldn't run at all

My comment is that it has to be down stream somewhere because your stock ECU is also loosing sync. Most often for me when it is loosing sync like that, it is because the builder of the MS soldered something inside the case wrong and so MS looses sync. Tach usually reads just fine besides the dip when it misses.

Your case is different. My guess is that your tach on your dash gets a signal from your stock ECU. So both the stock ECU and MS are receiving a bad signal somewhere down stream from the ECUs. It could be that you have to recheck the solder that you made when you tapped in to the signal cable.
It could be that your VR sensor in the distributor is going out when it idles and can't pick the signal up.

Quote:
ike I said, next week when I have time I'm going to pull the carpet back and resolder that connection, and ensure no conductors are exposed. Maybe throw some more tape on there. Also I may hook up the stock ignition again. So the stock ECU will still be controlling Ignition, and MS is only controlling fuel. See if that improves anything. I kind of wish I would have done that in the beginning. Just 1 at a time changes, makes troubleshooting so much easier
Bah it is easier to hook them up at the same time so shane can give you an optimum tune on the car

Quote:
So as for MAPs. I've sent Jordan my MSQ file and he adjusted it and sent it back with a very "base" tune. That's the plan is he's going to help me get it running decent, but then I'll be taking it to Shane to get a real tune done, just want it running fairly decent as I don't want to give Shane an untuned mess that he has to start from scratch on.
It is the spark map that usually needs to get tuned on the dyno. if that is dialed in correctly tuning the VE table is something that can be done on the fly most of the times. I ran someone elses tune on my eclipse for sometime

Quote:
What system are you running? MS2, 3, etc? I'm working on making myself a custom dashboard in TunerStudio. You got any cool dashboards I could see or use? I like that default Green one that you see in the video that came with TS, but I'm going to make something with histographs so I can watch actual logged AFR vs. Target AFR and what not. And only throw gauges on there that I care about.
I use MS2 as that fits my needs for most 4 cylinders (and works pretty well for V8 also). I modified the MS chip so that it would do 4 cylinder sequential injection with the help of an "adder board"
TS is pretty universal with both. I don't have any need dashboard sorry to say. I usually stick with the standard gauges and fit which ones I need to see on the dash. Looking at the green one with bars gives me a headache but Ricers LOVE it. "hey you have a standalone on your car!" now I need to find a warning flasher or something that says my manifold pressure is too great....

GET THE FULL VERSION OF TUNERS STUDIO, there is a tune as you go option that is not on the free ware. Pay the money it isn't that much and that will help you tune as you drive. It helped me dial in my VE table. (it is really hard to tune with only myself in the car...