MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-26-2005   #1
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

Drives: IX EVO MR/SE
Getting serious about a FMIC, need options...

98 Tsi, AWD, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, <cry> JoeP, Big 16, DSMLINK, Walbro 225, 650 Injectors, Ingen Intake etc...

Starting to get pretty serious about looking for a FMIC. But I need some options.

Looking for VALUE above all as I need to try to get this in and piped for close to a grand in total. I'm willing to do some of the work <if I can>.

What are my best options in this price range for a complete, and "eaiser to install package?"

Also I really don't want to hack up my bumper too much if possible?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and ideas.......!

Howie
Old 04-26-2005   #2
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
Re: Getting serious about a FMIC, need options...

buy an ebay core, call qpr and have him weld up end tanks and do your piping. thats my .02
Old 04-26-2005   #3
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

For an easy install with minimal hacking get a GReddy core (24) and piping. There are also many vendors that are making decent 2G kits too (AGP, Buschur, etc.) that require a bit of hacking, but are cheaper and use shorter pipe-routing than the GReddy stuff). IMO, it seems like everyone that has a kit custom fabbed up spends just about the same $$$ as a premade kit and of course goes through a lot more hassle. Nothing quite as nice as having everything you need in a single box.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #4
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

A cheaper core will be ok with your 16G but if you ever plan to upgrade turbos I would suggest you just getting a better one now rather than have to get another one down the road. I had the Apexi Skyline FMIC on my 2G and I know a few other 2G guys have had them and in my opinion they are one of the better ones for 2G's. I think Brian Barton (slowwhite) has one on his 2G right now. There are a lot of them out there it just depends on what your future plans are.

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #5
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

Just talked to a guy who has a Supra SMIC for $150.00 and a Apexi FMIC for $300.00 in good shape. Torn between the easier install of the sidemount, and the better potential of the Apexi?

What say you?

Thx.....

Howie
Old 04-26-2005   #6
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Go with the FMIC and that should be an easy choice. I have never done a Supra SM but I would think you would have to mess around just as much to get that to work as a FMIC. Even if it was more work, in the long run you would be way better off with the FMIC. To me it should be a no brainer.

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

CVD had a SSMIC with a 16G for quite a while and was pretty pleased with it I believe, but he did spend a lot of time monkey around with it to get it to fit properly. I also don't remember him getting a huge performance increase once he went to a FMIC, but I'll let him chime in on this. FMIC's do look better too
Old 04-26-2005   #8
scheides
flips McGee

Supra SMIC is not an easy install, rest assured. I have the buschur 2g fmic kit, and love it. It was a bit more up front, but really no nonsense once installed. No major cutting involved. Piping all really nice & everything is polished.

For value, buy a core & do your own piping.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #9
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

So it looks like the FMIC wins over a Supra sidemount then?

Ok so what do you all think of getting this used Apexi front mount core with tanks for $300.00, any major issues with mounting/piping a Apexi?

TIA.....

Howie
Old 04-26-2005   #10
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Which Apex'i core and what style endtanks? In/outlet diameter? These are all things you need to know before commiting to it. Have you at least gotten a picture?
Old 04-26-2005   #11
scheides
flips McGee

I had an apexi on my 1g, hated the piping route. the driver's side inlet went up and bent back towards the passenger side, so the piping had to go across, behind the bumper, then through an enlarged hole in the core support. Worked just fine, though.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #12
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonTSiDude
Which Apex'i core and what style endtanks? In/outlet diameter? These are all things you need to know before commiting to it. Have you at least gotten a picture?

Guess some pics could help decide right? I'll get with this guy and ask him for some pics, and postem for you evaluate.

Thanks much for your insights!

Howie
Old 04-26-2005   #13
95tsi

Drives: a pos

I went with the Hahn fmic and did the piping myself. I already had the upper I/C pipe so I just tied in with that. I think I spent $550 on my whole setup(minus UIC). Cheaper priced fmic but, for me its worked excellent.

http://hahnracecraft.com/hahn/parts/...tercoolers.htm
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #14
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

There is a difference between the FMIC kit that Apexi makes for 2Gs and an Apexi Skyline Core. The core in the 2G is a small Sylvia core and the piping is probably routed bad like in a Greddy kit. The Apexi Skyline core is pretty big, but you need to make your own piping, it is also an expensive core. AMS makes very nice kit for the 2Gs, but it is quite $$$ and major overkill for a 16G.
Old 04-27-2005   #15
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

If you like to take on projects, I say buy a core and make your own piping. It's what I am doing. I bought a 24x10x3 bar & plate core for 300 bucks. Will be installing it and making my own piping. The driver side will be tricky for me, but you have a 2g and it should be cake for you to route it. Otherwise, for under a grand there are some kits out there. SLS who sponsors this site sells em cheap I think.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #16
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me612
If you like to take on projects, I say buy a core and make your own piping. It's what I am doing. I bought a 24x10x3 bar & plate core for 300 bucks. Will be installing it and making my own piping. The driver side will be tricky for me, but you have a 2g and it should be cake for you to route it. Otherwise, for under a grand there are some kits out there. SLS who sponsors this site sells em cheap I think.

I know I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but that's what I'm going to do. Buy a core and TRY this install as a "Dad thing" with my boy, except he'll prolly want cash money up front as well!

So for now I'm just digging around for cores. Trying to decide first between a small core that is easier to install with less hacking. And a larger core that could support larger turbo, somewhere down the line?

Where is the best balance?

Last edited by howslowcanyougo; 04-27-2005 at 09:08 AM..
howslowcanyougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #17
Onefast99gsx

Here... my brother and i did this one a few years back. It's a Griffin FMIC purchased from RRE. We did the piping ourselves. I cut, he welded. I think i had somewhere around $650-675 into it. Very nice core. Gets ice cold on the cool side of it.

http://mis15437.tripod.com/griffin_20x10.htm
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #18
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I would get an Ebay core before the Griffin. Get one like the one Tom got.

Did I just tell someone to do something that Tom did??

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #19
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

I did the ebay thing and QPR piping. Great qualoty unit and awesome work done by Mike but I think overall Ive spent probably more than a big fmic kit. Its also hard to get it right, especially with the long piping route. It just depends on what you want to do. If you plan on upgrading turbos you need to change your piping again.. (that what I had to do) but my j-pipe was really long so it had to be modded quite a bit.

It may seem like your spending less because you will spend 300 on a core first, then atleast 200-400 on piping, depending on metal choice, if your welding yourself, and all other work, couplers, clamps, etc.

Theres an easy way for a fmic and then theres custom. Im very happy with my unit but its tricky and time consuming to build and customize to fit. Other package units are known to fit and work with minimal mods.

Just my .02
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #20
Onefast99gsx

What's wrong with the Griffin? Have you ever run a griffin? The Griffin i have is actually better than the Spearco 2-178 that was on my car when i bought it. I feel it was much more efficient. I have Mike from RRE to back me up on that one. I called him to ask him which one he liked better and which one to dump. The core is much nicer on the Griffin and seemed to transfer the heat much better.

I'd like to see the actual inside of the cores from the ones that are on ebay. I'd buy something name brand before i'd buy some generic junk on ebay especially when you got over $500 into it.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote