MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 01-25-2012   #1061
scheides
flips McGee

Re: beaterX project thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Right right, I forgot you're a professional racecar driver.
Hahah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
So how long till you hit the max for this clutch? :uhoh:
Oh snap you *totally* got me there! My point is, the next step up is an Exedy Twin ($1700) and that is rated at 455tq and I already at or over that. Why are you busting my balls over this? Like you I plan on dragging my car here and there and I want something that can handle that. Also, like you, I want something that doesn't cost a fortune. 6-pucks are tried and true in this arena and quite livable day to day.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #1062
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
If you aren't breaking it you aren't having enough fun with it I say
So true! Personally, I think 12k miles out of a clutch disk in this level of performance is quite good.

My 4 pucks only last around 7k miles before they are at the rivets...

NBD, just replace and keep having fun!
Old 01-25-2012   #1063
Mark Leasure

I seem to have similar luck as you, catch a symptom before it turns 100% catastrophic. Although, I have had less sever issues. You also lost all of your oil last year too, I cannot recall if it was your drain plug or oil filter that came off. How do you not damage a motor from that, lucky!

Your drag racing clutch stop debacle more than likely took a good chunk of life out of the clutch. I bet this one will last longer! This hobby will force you to continue learning best practices.
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #1064
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leasure View Post
I seem to have similar luck as you, catch a symptom before it turns 100% catastrophic. Although, I have had less sever issues. You also lost all of your oil last year too, I cannot recall if it was your drain plug or oil filter that came off. How do you not damage a motor from that, lucky!

Your drag racing clutch stop debacle more than likely took a good chunk of life out of the clutch. I bet this one will last longer! This hobby will force you to continue learning best practices.
Yea, I am really good at breaking stuff, what can I say! Thanks for bringing up the drain bolt thing I had forgotten about that, I am thanking Tebow for saving my 'tarded ass on that one.

Continue to learn I shall indeed! Hopefully everyone enjoys watching the calamity unfold along the way
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 01-25-2012   #1065
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Hahah!

Oh snap you *totally* got me there! My point is, the next step up is an Exedy Twin ($1700) and that is rated at 455tq and I already at or over that. Why are you busting my balls over this? Like you I plan on dragging my car here and there and I want something that can handle that. Also, like you, I want something that doesn't cost a fortune. 6-pucks are tried and true in this arena and quite livable day to day.
I'm not trying to bust your balls homie!
I was dead serious, you mentioned a bigger snail next year maybe and you are already at 600whp (or real close) so I figured that your next upgrade (that you are probably eyeing up, like most of us) would top the clutches rating. (I know the TQ is the important #)
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #1066
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

My 6 puck disc was pretty iffy after just under 3k miles on my last setup so I put a new one in on the 2nd motor build. Danny said it was just heat so I was riding it too much. But honestly to make it traffic drivable you kind of have to ride it a bit.

6 puck ftw honestly, cheap and gets the job done. Honestly the next up in my mind isn't the twin from exedy its the triple because the twin as Scheides said doesn't hold a lot of torque. So it may be more drivable then the 6 puck but doesn't hold the power as well.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #1067
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
I'm not trying to bust your balls homie!
I was dead serious, you mentioned a bigger snail next year maybe and you are already at 600whp (or real close) so I figured that your next upgrade (that you are probably eyeing up, like most of us) would top the clutches rating. (I know the TQ is the important #)
Haha ok cool. Ya idk, if I go any bigger than a black/ef4 I know I'd have to be ready for breaking even more stuff even more often. I'm really happy with where the car is at right now so who knows, hopefully never!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 01-25-2012   #1068
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Right right, I forgot you're a professional racecar driver.
Don't forget again.

Seriously though, Scheides' car IS super smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #1069
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
LOL it seriously is! The pedal is light as hell and there really is hardly any chatter, especially with some experience. I *know* it is not as smooth as stock, but the stock clutch is not rated to hold 650tq!
I have to say it does a have a lighter pedal than the Exedy stage 1HD I have in my car. I think part of it might be that, imo, the X clutch pedal has a more downward push than the VIII and IX.
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012   #1070
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose0529 View Post
I have to say it does a have a lighter pedal than the Exedy stage 1HD I have in my car. I think part of it might be that, imo, the X clutch pedal has a more downward push than the VIII and IX.
You're welcome to try the pedal on mine next time I see you.
Quote:
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
Old 01-25-2012   #1071
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspaz View Post
You're welcome to try the pedal on mine next time I see you.
I'm not saying mine is to heavy ...just saying his is definitly lighter than mine.
Old 01-26-2012   #1072
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose0529 View Post
I'm not saying mine is to heavy ...just saying his is definitly lighter than mine.
I meant as a comparison between the VIII/IX and X pedal pressure with the same clutch, if you were at all interested.
Quote:
Old 01-26-2012   #1073
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspaz View Post
I meant as a comparison between the VIII/IX and X pedal pressure with the same clutch, if you were at all interested.
Ahh sounds good... would be interesting to see.

Sorry for thread jacking... carry on ..
Old 01-31-2012   #1074
scheides
flips McGee

A week after getting the car back together and clutch is all broken in, car feels wicked fast and I am gave a high-school buddy a ride to the airport, put about 15 bus-lengths on a ratty old honda and the car has me smiling ear to ear, so happy it is running good!

Next morning (Monday) I am getting on the freeway and I hear the sound no FI guy wants to hear...gerbils in a blender, banshee on her period, etc. Bleh! I am just amazed at my bad luck sometimes...I know the BBX has given up the ghost but there's nothing I can do about it now. I talk to Chris Carey at MAP....they have a ported, ceramic coated EF4X sitting on the shelf ready to rock. SO tempting....I talk it over with Anna and she says the most beautiful words, 'I know you kinda wanted one anyways, just get it!' So despite the trans issues just two weeks ago and an anti-tax return I pull the trigger. I need the car for work and no stock turbo in sight....done and done.

I limp the car home after work and Anna picks up the EF4 for me from MAP. What a gal! Pull the intake apart and sure enough there is damage to the BBX:

Talked to Chad Block @ CBRD and he is going to do a post-mortum on it and we'll see, maybe if I hate the EF4 it will go back on? :P I *really* loved this turbo!

So. Onto turbo pr0n? EF4 is a sexeh beast I must say. Compressor wheel is baby-munching good and even with the 3" inlet it looks surprisingly stock! Not sure the exact size of the compressor but it looks about 35r sized.

The fact that it is already ported is just a massive massive bonus for me. I have had all my turbos ported, and I must say this thing has a nice job on it. If my BBK Full on my evo8 was a 9.5 or 10 out of 10, I will rate this one at 8.5-9 out of 10...insane for an off-the-shelf port job! The port job on my BBX was nothing special but it obviously did the trick.

Compressor outlet:

Down the scrolls, wow:

Check out that turbine wheel! This thing is a work of art...9-blade (versus standard 11-blade on a lot of other turbos, including my BBX), extended tip...this thing is gonna flow some serious air!

Also, it came with this nice, beefy oil feed line and filter kit:

Anyways, 2 hours later BBX was off, and 2 hours after that EF4 was about 80% of the way in...called it a night and then finished up the install tonight. Car still feels great but the boost curve needs some tweaking. Turned the MBC on my hybrid setup down a half turn for safety and I'm seeing 25psi at 4200rpm and then 30psi from 6000-8100+....it definitely rips but I'll take it easy and tune this week/weekend.

Very first VDR pull showed 581whp dynojet...BBX was at 550-560 at its best....I'm practically ready for proving grounds! Let's move it up to march 1?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 01-31-2012   #1075
CornFed2.4

Drives: You crazy!
Send a message via AIM to CornFed2.4

Looks good dude! Does this knock you out of SA though? Either way seems like you tackle things right away and seem to enjoy the car alot, in its ups and downs.
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #1076
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornFed2.4 View Post
Looks good dude! Does this knock you out of SA though? Either way seems like you tackle things right away and seem to enjoy the car alot, in its ups and downs.
I always kinda bitched about that but ya know honestly, it's gonna be pretty hard to tell that it's not a stock turbo, it is *very* similar from a glance. I always race for fun so if it bumps me out, so be it.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 01-31-2012   #1077
CornFed2.4

Drives: You crazy!
Send a message via AIM to CornFed2.4

Oh, I hear ya. I was just asking. Either way hope your luck turns around and I guess we'll see ya out there!
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #1078
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Figure out the EF4 X stuff and help me dial mine in more please. My car was pretty inconsistent on the street. Went from 519whp to like 570whp at 27-28psi on two different pulls.

So if you don't mind taking a look at mine in the future I will bring beer
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #1079
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Looking good Chris!
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #1080
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Figure out the EF4 X stuff and help me dial mine in more please. My car was pretty inconsistent on the street. Went from 519whp to like 570whp at 27-28psi on two different pulls.

So if you don't mind taking a look at mine in the future I will bring beer
Those virtual dyno simulators will do that Gotta keep all inputs equal...wheel 100% straight, same flat road, etc.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV